My Simple & Cheap Nano Build

AuNaturalish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A new member here and I have been encouraged to start a build thread.

My philosophy - To build as much bio-diversity as possible, in an affordable, low-tech system, to keep my animals healthy.

This is not a "From Scratch" build, but a work in progress.

I started an Evo13 about a year ago, and around 4 months ago, decided to upgrade to a 90l tank.

Rock structures were made from smashed rock and super glue.

I wanted to keep things as simple as possible, as this has worked for me in the past, having been a successful Seahorse breeder/keeper. I have also had some success keeping fresh using Walstad Methodology.

So here goes:

Aquarium - Ultra Clear glass 90l 60x40x40
Light - Aquaknight V2
Heater - Unsure, will check
Wave Maker - OW10
HOB - Super Fish 100
ATO - TMC V2auto

I run Natural Sea Water, unless it is rough as hell, then use Redsea Salt. I feed heavily with flake and frozen Mysis, Roids and Redsea AB+ around once per week.

The HOB runs empty 90% of the time, the reason I have it is:
1. Surface skimming to re-mix surface slick into the water column.
2. Add Carbon occasionally.
3. Floss after a good clean to remove the majority of waste (run floss for a few hours only).
4. Increase O2 into the water column.

Fish/invert stock:

2 Clowns
Watchman Goby with His Pistol
Flame Firefish
Red Mandarin
An Oyster from my fishmonger
Hermits
Snails (a few Bumblebee, Nassarius, Strawberry & Astraea)
Brittle Stars
Sexy Shrimp

Corals/Other live stuff:
A few Zoas
Pulsing Xenia
Favia
Kenya Tree
2 types of Goni
Green Pavona
Pipe Organ (loads of it)
Blasto
Acans
Frogspawn
Bubble tip
Duncan
'Shrooms
Gorgonian

On the list
Torch
Hammer
Cyphastrea
Feather Duster Worms

That's it for starters, will add more comes to mind and things change. Would love to hear your thoughts and opinions...

tank.jpg

close tank.jpg

OP
OP
AuNaturalish

AuNaturalish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few more pictures to share. Water is a little cloudy as just carried out a 10% water change with NSW.

Have added a small hammer frag - love it!! Just want a Torch and Cyphastrea now.

Then plan then will be fragging when they grow so I can repeat the same species in different areas.

The Pavona has crept off its plug now, delighted with that.

The BTA is getting large and shading. I kinda hope she splits and I can keep a small one and sell the larger one.... Let's see, nature will take its course...

Sadly, think my Pistol is dead. No idea why, but my Watchman is acting strange and isn't with her anymore, also no loud cracks coming from the tank. However, the firefish is far happier now.

Lastly, my Red Mandarin is putting on weight. I am supplementing with 3 large colonies of pods as a tank of this size and no sump/fuge is never going to support one imo.

IMG-20220130-WA0004~2.jpg

IMG-20220130-WA0005~2.jpg

IMG-20220130-WA0003~2.jpg
IMG-20220130-WA0017~2.jpg
IMG-20220130-WA0020~2.jpg
IMG-20220130-WA0021~2.jpg

AnotherReefHobbyist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few more pictures to share. Water is a little cloudy as just carried out a 10% water change with NSW.

Have added a small hammer frag - love it!! Just want a Torch and Cyphastrea now.

Then plan then will be fragging when they grow so I can repeat the same species in different areas.

The Pavona has crept off its plug now, delighted with that.

The BTA is getting large and shading. I kinda hope she splits and I can keep a small one and sell the larger one.... Let's see, nature will take its course...

Sadly, think my Pistol is dead. No idea why, but my Watchman is acting strange and isn't with her anymore, also no loud cracks coming from the tank. However, the firefish is far happier now.

Lastly, my Red Mandarin is putting on weight. I am supplementing with 3 large colonies of pods as a tank of this size and no sump/fuge is never going to support one imo.

IMG-20220130-WA0004~2.jpg

IMG-20220130-WA0005~2.jpg

IMG-20220130-WA0003~2.jpg
IMG-20220130-WA0017~2.jpg
IMG-20220130-WA0020~2.jpg
IMG-20220130-WA0021~2.jpg
Looking stunning as normal!

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lookin' good!

Following as I'm running 40 gallon with just 2 HOBs and 1 powerhead (Nero 5). No sump and all equipment in the tank.
HOBs are working fine for me but I only have 2 fish, 2 new corals (zoas), and a bunch of inverts (urchin, starfish, conch, nassarius snails, a couple margarita snails, and 1 hermit crab).

Keep up the good work.

OP
OP
AuNaturalish

AuNaturalish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My only advice would be to take things really slowly and allow time for things to settle and colonize. Build a broad spectrum of organisms/bio-diversity as your backbone.

Good luck and let us know how you get on ;)

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My only advice would be to take things really slowly and allow time for things to settle and colonize. Build a broad spectrum of organisms/bio-diversity as your backbone.

Good luck and let us know how you get on ;)
Yep,,, thanks.

Everything (except corals) was in a 37 gallon for about 8 months (before tank transfer 3 months ago) so I consider it fairly established at this point. (Some inverts I've had even longer from smaller tanks).

Back