naaa

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So many people seem to be trying to change "what is best" Based on there Financial situation and how they feel instead of sound evidence based on experience .
Or because noise is a factor since our sumps are under the tank. Can we get a little love for those of us with basement envy? ;Sorry

OP
OP
E

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or because noise is a factor since our sumps are under the tank. Can we get a little love for those of us with basement envy? ;Sorry
This is true.. I can remember having a Loud Return pump. Air driven skimmer with a Luft air pump. And a Trickle filter.. I know all to well . This is the Reason to never but a House without a Basement or a Room you can use to house the stuffs behind the tank..

Sorry ... I can come help

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My first tank was on a slab, and had a undertank sump. My Eheim 1262 was fantastic for a return pump. However, I love my basement fishroom. lol.:p

OP
OP
E

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Newly Built sump Is now up and Running. Tore out the whole sump room Build a new Sump stand. A bit higher to be perfect level for me to reach Hooked up existing plumbing because i have about ran out of time. Will post some updated pics once i get some of the final plumbing done. I have a few things Rigged and I Refuse to show that.. hehehe .

OP
OP
E

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
picks of gnarly rigs are a appreciated too.

The past few weeks my only time sitting still has been on here replay to you guys.I cleared my schedule for this week then all at once i got swamped with Estimates and Tiny Repairs for regular customers. Work i can NOT really turn down or push back . This is life of a OLD Worn out Self Employed Woman...

OP
OP
E

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sump is Alive
The new Sump is Now installed and Running. I hooked it up using bits of the old plumbing, Including ball valves and so on. New Plumbing Valves and parts are on the way. The sump is super quiet and NO Air bubbles or debris reaching the return pump.
New Sump running first time  (1).jpg

Reeflo Hammerhead Return pump. This pump is old and still like new
New Sump running first time  (2).jpg
Flow thru the First Set of Baffles after the skimmer/equipment chamber.

New Sump running first time  (3).jpg

Return pipe Drops water into the first filter area where are bubbles are also reduced before moving into the skimmer / equipment chamber.
New Sump running first time  (4).jpg

Skimmer/ Equipment Chamber. The water in this area is between to high baffles Keeping it at a Constant no matter what.Water will not Evaporate from this chamber
New Sump running first time  (5).jpg

View of the whole sump Still Quite a bit of work to do . All new plumbing is on the way ..

One Piece at a time ..

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OF Course the way i do things may not be best for others. So many people seem to be trying to change "what is best" Based on there Financial situation and how they feel instead of sound evidence based on experience .
Well evidence has proven it costs substantially more to pump water up 6’ than it does to create flow in tank with efficient flow pumps. I am glad you like your set up however , that by no means that my suggestions are not based on sound evidence and many years of experience as a hobbiest and in the business. I do not mind if you don’t want to change your set up, but that does not make my statements wrong.
I will not bother you with any further suggestions.

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Erica-Renee my new tank is actually the first tank that I have had that I have not tied my drains together. On my 75 and my 140, I tied two 1" drains into a 1½" main drain. Worked perfectly for many years. Just seemed logical to me at the time, as I put both systems together before I discovered online forums and saw how other people did things. But I still have people telling me it was "wrong" to do it that way. I also built my own "Coast to Coast" overflow almost 20 years ago, before I ever heard of Anthony Calfo. :)

It is not a bad thing to try new ideas. That is how we learn. Great job on the build. I got behind on following along. :)

I started building this in 1998. I did the 140 sort of like this, but from underneath two MegaFlow overflows.

C2COverflow.jpg

OP
OP
E

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well evidence has proven it costs substantially more to pump water up 6’ than it does to create flow in tank with efficient flow pumps. I am glad you like your set up however , that by no means that my suggestions are not based on sound evidence and many years of experience as a hobbiest and in the business. I do not mind if you don’t want to change your set up, but that does not make my statements wrong.
I will not bother you with any further suggestions.

I do believe and know that having in tank circulation and a smaller return pump will save energy,For me getting debris out of the tank before it has a chance of settling in the sand bed where its harder to remove is more important then saving a few bucks a month on electric bill. We all know a Big tank is expensive to maintain .
I do appreciate you offering the suggestions .I just disagree with the method. but do understand the ideas behind it

OP
OP
E

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Erica-Renee my new tank is actually the first tank that I have had that I have not tied my drains together. On my 75 and my 140, I tied two 1" drains into a 1½" main drain. Worked perfectly for many years. Just seemed logical to me at the time, as I put both systems together before I discovered online forums and saw how other people did things. But I still have people telling me it was "wrong" to do it that way. I also built my own "Coast to Coast" overflow almost 20 years ago, before I ever heard of Anthony Calfo. :)

It is not a bad thing to try new ideas. That is how we learn. Great job on the build. I got behind on following along. :)

I started building this in 1998. I did the 140 sort of like this, but from underneath two MegaFlow overflows.

C2COverflow.jpg

I am working on a cost to coat over flow similar to this very slim with NO External box. First test build out of sign board shows promise .Once i have my design down I will post some images on how its working.
The inside turned under elbows will be designed like a scupper Due to the fact there is not enough room for elbows . I will have to make mold and bend the Acrylic . Anyway that will come after the tank trim is complete and Sump room close

OP
OP
E

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Erica, what are the buckets in the sump for?
Rotating Deep Sand BED..
DSB is a good way to increase your tanks exportation of Nutrients and Capacity to breakdown fish waste. The problem traditional DSB Can become toxic over time and you often do not know it until its to late. I have them in 1.5 gallon buckets every 6 months i toss the oldest one away. There are 6 of them . (4 are in the display tank and will be put back in the sump) when i toss the oldest one its over a year old. I am not 100% sure this is the best way to deal with DSB . But i know quite a few reefers who have switched to buckets instead of just dumping the sand into the bottom of the sump.. I do very little water changes feed super heavy and have no nutrient issues. My assumption is they do help.

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am working on a cost to coat over flow similar to this very slim with NO External box. First test build out of sign board shows promise .Once i have my design down I will post some images on how its working.
The inside turned under elbows will be designed like a scupper Due to the fact there is not enough room for elbows . I will have to make mold and bend the Acrylic . Anyway that will come after the tank trim is complete and Sump room close
It served me well for 6 years. The tank, unfortunately was not hurricane proof and perished from no power for two weeks and us not being able to get back home. I almost wish I had one in the Reef Savvy.

I like the way you are setting this up. I have thought of the rotating DSB also, but just don’t have the room. Basement envy here too. No one has basements where I live. They would be under water. :)

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rotating Deep Sand BED..
DSB is a good way to increase your tanks exportation of Nutrients and Capacity to breakdown fish waste. The problem traditional DSB Can become toxic over time and you often do not know it until its to late. I have them in 1.5 gallon buckets every 6 months i toss the oldest one away. There are 6 of them . (4 are in the display tank and will be put back in the sump) when i toss the oldest one its over a year old. I am not 100% sure this is the best way to deal with DSB . But i know quite a few reefers who have switched to buckets instead of just dumping the sand into the bottom of the sump.. I do very little water changes feed super heavy and have no nutrient issues. My assumption is they do help.
I thought that might be what it was but I have never heard of the rotating method. Interesting.

OP
OP
E

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought that might be what it was but I have never heard of the rotating method. Interesting.
I have not had to remove one yet.. They are just over a year old. So will start rotating them out soon. I do know about 3 months after i put them in my Skimmer started slowing. Less algae on the glass and my Refugium growth slowed.. Rather its the sand buckets or not i am not sure. But i stopped doing constant testing and chasing numbers . Tank is much easier to care for time will tell i suppose

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 105 80.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.6%
Back