Need New Return Pump, Suggestions?

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My return pump is shot, and I need a new one, yet there’s so many name and off brands to choose from. I am looking for suggestions. Preferably on the cheaper side, as my budget is pretty limited due to the natural disaster that toasted my old one. The sump is currently drilled for an external pump, hence why a flood toasted it, but I am leaning towards plugging the hole and going internal to avoid these problems going forward.

Display Volume: 230 gallons
Sump Volume: 150 gallons (will hold about 75gal of water).

Ribo15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would unfortunately have to agree with the jebao recommendation. I had a current e-flux pump rated at 3200gph I think it was and recently changed it out to the jebao 3500gph I think and with 60% of the jebao pump I can move way more water than the eflux pump could at 100% and it used less power. But the jebao has a larger foot print by quite a bit FWIW

Yodeling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another vote for Jebao DCP series. They are super reliable pumps. I have like 7 of them - different sizes for different applications, and a few spares, although I've never had one break. For your tank, I would get the 15000 (you can turn it down if it's too much flow).

cthetoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would unfortunately have to agree with the jebao recommendation. I had a current e-flux pump rated at 3200gph I think it was and recently changed it out to the jebao 3500gph I think and with 60% of the jebao pump I can move way more water than the eflux pump could at 100% and it used less power. But the jebao has a larger foot print by quite a bit FWIW
Was thinking about getting a Jebao pump as well. Which Jebao pump did you try?

TheDuude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would never trust anything jebao as a mission critical item. Return is the heart of your system. Not an area to cheap out on imo. I would recommend reef octo varios

reefah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My return pump is shot, and I need a new one, yet there’s so many name and off brands to choose from. I am looking for suggestions. Preferably on the cheaper side, as my budget is pretty limited due to the natural disaster that toasted my old one. The sump is currently drilled for an external pump, hence why a flood toasted it, but I am leaning towards plugging the hole and going internal to avoid these problems going forward.

Display Volume: 230 gallons
Sump Volume: 150 gallons (will hold about 75gal of water).
Hey look into Neptune. I have the Neptune Systems COR 20. It’s pretty quiet also. No complaints here.

Breadman03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd look into a Sicce ADV 10.0 pump for next time. They come with a 5 year warranty when registered, and I think 2 year without registration. My Jebao didn't last for a super long time, but it cost me a lot less per month than my Royal Exclusiv did.

Zakery Murray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sicce syncra make a good pump and aren’t that expensive compared to others of that size.

Ribo15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the jebao 15000 and it puts out a lot of flow. It won’t connect to an apex or anything but for flow wise it’s great.

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can't control it with an apex but you can set an alarm for wattage over/ under to at least warn you if there is a problem. Just an extra failsafe. Apparently they don't burn themselves out with no water or a blockage and will shut off...never tried it.

Red_Beard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been running a maxspect jump pump for about a year. Price was great and it is pretty quiet. I am running it at 14 out of 20. Plenty of flow very low maintenance, as in it is probably time to clean but haven’t even touched it since day one.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 132 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back