New and not sure

Ratt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always wanted to have a saltwater aquarium. Have had success with freshwater over the years. Now it’s time to take the plunge. Not sure if I should use my 85 gallon bow front aquarium. I was considering starting from the ground up with that. But there’s Craigslist…… One individual leaving the hobby is selling a 100 gallon with live rock, 3 clown fish, one tang, one angel and a hermit crab, sump tank lights the whole setup running. All for $1500
Am I asking for trouble going this route? He claims it’s ready to add coral. Please advise if I should stay at my slow snails pace or should I jump start into this hobby. I have enjoyed reading lots of posts on here and am looking forward for years to come. I have attached the CL listing because I don’t know what half the stuff is. Lol thank you

IMG_9792.png

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have always wanted to have a saltwater aquarium. Have had success with freshwater over the years. Now it’s time to take the plunge. Not sure if I should use my 85 gallon bow front aquarium. I was considering starting from the ground up with that. But there’s Craigslist…… One individual leaving the hobby is selling a 100 gallon with live rock, 3 clown fish, one tang, one angel and a hermit crab, sump tank lights the whole setup running. All for $1500
Am I asking for trouble going this route? He claims it’s ready to add coral. Please advise if I should stay at my slow snails pace or should I jump start into this hobby. I have enjoyed reading lots of posts on here and am looking forward for years to come. I have attached the CL listing because I don’t know what half the stuff is. Lol thank you

IMG_9792.png
Assure it does not leak and included equipment actually functions

Kristopher Conlin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!!

There is a risk of buying an aquarium that is already set up. Who knows what issues or pests the tank has had during its two years of being set up. And you will inherit that with the rock and sand.

Moving an established system is also a pretty big shock and tends to lead towards some set backs.

On the flip side getting already cycled rock is a huge benefit provided it's free of pests. It will make everything much smoother and easier.

Is there any pictures of the aquarium set up? Or a list exactly what the equipment is?

OP
OP
R

Ratt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!!

There is a risk of buying an aquarium that is already set up. Who knows what issues or pests the tank has had during its two years of being set up. And you will inherit that with the rock and sand.

Moving an established system is also a pretty big shock and tends to lead towards some set backs.

On the flip side getting already cycled rock is a huge benefit provided it's free of pests. It will make everything much smoother and easier.

Is there any pictures of the aquarium set up? Or a list exactly what the equipment is?
This is what he has for pictures with the post. I can ask for specifics but don’t want to bother him if this is the wrong way for a beginner to go.

Attachments

• IMG_9793.png
    IMG_9793.png
    158.8 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_9794.png
    IMG_9794.png
    633.2 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_9797.png
    IMG_9797.png
    299.7 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_9798.png
    IMG_9798.png
    309 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_9799.png
    IMG_9799.png
    277.8 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_9800.png
    IMG_9800.png
    414.4 KB · Views: 79

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_9792.png
Welcome!

DJC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome welcome

Buying a second hand system for your first set up can be difficult and you may find like said above equipment is not up to scratch or something not right with the chemistry in the tank

However it does has its advantages also set up ready to go will definitely get you learning quick about the whole system

But again you will definitely have many adverse effects transferring tank to new location and the move will for sure shock the tank and its inhabitants

If I was you I would prolly start slow and steady build your tank how you want it with your chosen live rock and your own chosen inhabitants you will learn to fine tune what you have chosen from the start and prolly get a way better understanding of your chemistry as it matures!

Welcome to the board
1705781835175.gif

Yang’s Blue Paradise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I do believe buying older setup is a great way to skip a lot of headaches that comes with starting a new tank. On the other hand, starting with a brand new set allows you to create your own unique setup.

When I first started I thought about getting older equipment, while it does save you a lot of money. It is very possible they could die the next week and don’t have warranty to replace it.

So I decided to spent little more and maintain the equipment better. Creating my own rock scape was also one of the most enjoyable process. Getting an older tank with their rock might not appeal to you.

I also really enjoyed going through the journeys of the first year for my tank. I ran into a lot of issues, that forced me to continually learn about this hobby. For me starting new as a beginner really prep me for better success in the future.

Theres pros and cons to both side. Definitely do more research to better prep for either situation

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back