New carpet anemone dying?

2manyideas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My friend got a new carpet anemone yesterday and today he found it like this. The lfs had said they got the anemone in that day and when we acclimated it to the tank we did feed it a piece of silver side. Does he need to remove it before it nukes everything? Will it pull through?

image.jpg

argiBK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've never seen an anemone extrude itself that much, but it's likely trying to rid itself of the silverside.

If you have a QT tank, I would get it in there (with freshly made water) ASAP. Depending on how it responds, I'd do a daily 100% water change to remove the ruined water, and so it can take in completely clean water. Hopefully it responds positively and recovers. It might be worth it to consider antibiotic treatment, but you should know within a day if it'll make it or not.

Something that should be a hard and fast rule with any new anemone: Don't feed it until it's completely settled into the tank, wait at least a week if not longer. Anemones are probably some of the most sensitive creatures to adapt to a completely new environment, and the stress they undergo the first few weeks/months settling in is enough to kill them. Feeding too early only adds to the stress and can hasten their demise.

I'd also avoid feeling silversides altogether, they can go bad quickly. There are a few anemones on here who've been lost to a spoiled silverside.

Crossing my fingers for your friend and the anemone, good luck!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Very unhappy
Light and water flow are important as is nitrates and phosphate not elevated
Also assure salinity if 1.025

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yikes….that looks bad. I’d remove to a hospital tank with new clean saltwater and start the cipro treatment in the sticky. You should know in a day or two if it has a chance.

OP
OP
2manyideas

2manyideas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately the anemone passed. It was fouling up the tank and affecting the fish. We are going to do a 100% water change today and upgrade the filter. Thanks to everyone for their responses

gig 'em

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For future reference, if an anemone looks poor with a gaping mouth I would put it in a hospital tank and treat it with cipro for at least a week first. I also would not advise feeding it until it’s been established and healthy for a while. Feeding an anemone when it could be sick is a recipe for disaster.

Back