Robin Williams Hello GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

Welcome to R2R!!!

Jimbhoy13

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R and the salty world Mos. I have a 130.4. Waterbox are great tanks. Lots of knowledgeable and helpful people here who will support and advise you when needed. Where did you buy your tank?
You can get the UK banner here: Click "Join User Group", scroll to the bottom and click on "United Kingdom User Group".

OP
OP
M

Mos

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! What are you planning on putting in the? Is this your first saltwater tank?

Thank you! Yes this is my first. A mixed tank with LPS and soft corals and maybe 1 or 2 low maintenance SPS. Once my tank is established I will definitely step up the SPS.

OP
OP
M

Mos

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R and the salty world Mos. I have a 130.4. Waterbox are great tanks. Lots of knowledgeable and helpful people here who will support and advise you when needed. Where did you buy your tank?
You can get the UK banner here: Click "Join User Group", scroll to the bottom and click on "United Kingdom User Group".
Hey! Appreciate the warm welcome man. I was doing a lot of research until I found a fish shop in Basildon selling it for a couple of hundred pounds cheaper then the bog standard £1,799.

I didn't intend to actually buy the tank just yet but once I found it at that price I went straight for it.

What about yourself?

R33fDaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

Recently just purchased the above tank. I am a new marine reefer coming from the freshwater world.

I have had my tank for a few weeks now. Cabinet built, sump plumbed. Will be taking my time and updating my progress here with pictures.

Still looking into options for all equipment (nothing purchased as of yet):

Lighting - currently liking the AI Hydras

Return pump - Maxspect-Jump DC10

Mechanical Filteration - Sump has 2 sock compartments but I know I won't keep up with changing socks every couple of days lol. Currently looking at the Klir DI-4 roller mat. Only issue is I can't seem to find one in the UK!

I would also like to run some sort of carbon, to ensure clear and non yellowing of the water‍.

Flow - Maxspect Gyres‍. The Vortex MP40's are not cheap! But I would be more inclined if they could tilt. So it is Gyres Vs Power heads at the moment!

Skimmer - There are way too many out there but I will most probably stay small-med (got to think about all the work the rollermat will do so no need to go big)

Rock/Substrate - Dry rock/sand most likely CaribSea.

Ideally I would like all equipment to be DC controlled. I'm about that tank automation life lol! Thinking about a Seneye-reef, but more so to use as a PAR meter upon set up and maybe an Apex.

Please feel free to let me know your thoughts, suggestions and opinions!

(FYI, there will be no furniture in front of the tank once I get going lol)

Mos

20210422_203429.jpg 20210422_203417.jpg
Welcome I'm also new here.

This is what I wish someone had told me when I got started.

Quarantine everything lol. Your tank is ich free, aptasia free and free of all pests that can literally drive you out of the hobby lol. Never put anything directly into your display Tank.

Have fun and this place has a lot of great people that will help you along the way.

OP
OP
M

Mos

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey man!

So, I have been reading about QT (I will of course) BUT I have seen some people never ever QT'ing their livestock. So it does make me think..

I know freshwater livestock is somewhat different, I had 3 tanks running for a few years and I never quarantined anything and everything was fine.

Jimbhoy13

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey! Appreciate the warm welcome man. I was doing a lot of research until I found a fish shop in Basildon selling it for a couple of hundred pounds cheaper then the bog standard £1,799.

I didn't intend to actually buy the tank just yet but once I found it at that price I went straight for it.

What about yourself?
Hi Mos. I bought mine from Reef Lounge Aquatics in Basildon. Probably same place as you. I found Karim there very helpful :)

R33fDaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey man!

So, I have been reading about QT (I will of course) BUT I have seen some people never ever QT'ing their livestock. So it does make me think..

I know freshwater livestock is somewhat different, I had 3 tanks running for a few years and I never quarantined anything and everything was fine.
Those people have a major issues with their tanks and just don't want to admit it lol. The parasites they are trying to "live with" forces them to only keep certain types of fish or inverts. Some people even go coral only because they can no longer keep fish in their tanks.

Trust me, Quarantine everything. It's not that expensive to do so and it will save you a ton of money that you otherwise would spend on replacing your pets and battling infestations.

Not sure if they have Petco where you are but you can get a simple 20 Gallon cube to start Quarantine. Prices here are lesa than a $1 per gallon of tank size. Then get a cheap hang on back filter and you're ready to go.

I Quarantine everything prior to it going into my tank. Here's a picture of my Hospital Tank (on bottom) and Coral Quarantine Aquarium.

20210504_174906.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
OP
OP
M

Mos

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those people have a major issues with their tanks and just don't want to admit it lol. The parasites they are trying to "live with" forces them to only keep certain types of fish or inverts. Some people even go coral only because they can no longer keep fish in their tanks.

Trust me, Quarantine everything. It's not that expensive to do so and it will save you a ton of money that you otherwise would spend on replacing your pets and battling infestations.

Not sure if they have Petco where you are but you can get a simple 20 Gallon cube to start Quarantine. Prices here are lesa than a $1 per gallon of tank size. Then get a cheap hang on back filter and you're ready to go.

I Quarantine everything prior to it going into my tank. Here's a picture of my Hospital Tank (on bottom) and Coral Quarantine Aquarium.

20210504_174906.jpg
That is crazy! Imagine not being able to have fish because of not QT'ing..

Looks good man! Smart ide having under the tank.

I have 2 smaller tanks which I can use. Need to research a bit more on what exactly is required in terms of do I medicate everything (inc healthy looking) or just the fish that physically have something wrong?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 32 84.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 7.9%

Back