OP
OP
#R_TST

#R_TST

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is probably a dumb newbie question, but I’m trying to prepare in advance...
So I’ve decided to get the 32.5 gallon tank with stand. I will be placing it in a corner of our living room, but I also know that we are planning to do some redecorating in the room within the next year (painting one wall and putting shiplap or similar type board on the other). I don’t want to wait possibly a year to set up my tank. I’m wondering if I could/should add casters to the base of my stand to allow us to move it easier out from the walls enough for the Redecor and then prevent having to drain and have a major disruption in the tank? Would it be safe to roll/slide the tank out a few feet and then back, just while that corner is painted and the wood put on? How much of the tank would have to be drained, or could it be moved that short distance on casters with only a small amount of water removed to prevent water from sloshing over? I’ve never seen a stand on wheels, but if there are casters and wheels that can support the weights of pianos, I’m guessing I could find some that would support the weight of the filled tank. My biggest concern would be would the tank itself handle the move or would it possibly fail structurally? Any thoughts on how best to prepare?

UnderseaOddities

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is probably a dumb newbie question, but I’m trying to prepare in advance...
So I’ve decided to get the 32.5 gallon tank with stand. I will be placing it in a corner of our living room, but I also know that we are planning to do some redecorating in the room within the next year (painting one wall and putting shiplap or similar type board on the other). I don’t want to wait possibly a year to set up my tank. I’m wondering if I could/should add casters to the base of my stand to allow us to move it easier out from the walls enough for the Redecor and then prevent having to drain and have a major disruption in the tank? Would it be safe to roll/slide the tank out a few feet and then back, just while that corner is painted and the wood put on? How much of the tank would have to be drained, or could it be moved that short distance on casters with only a small amount of water removed to prevent water from sloshing over? I’ve never seen a stand on wheels, but if there are casters and wheels that can support the weights of pianos, I’m guessing I could find some that would support the weight of the filled tank. My biggest concern would be would the tank itself handle the move or would it possibly fail structurally? Any thoughts on how best to prepare?
Id stay away from casters itll become unlevel or warped over time and make a mess if u try to move it saltwater is heavier than freshwater and based on tds will have a higher specific gravity... it would probably just be easier to put the aquarium somewhere else until diy is done or leave it in project area and move when the time comes or cover it up if it not gonna be around noise flashing light or vibration.i.e an adjacen wall or corner

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d advise a smaller tank. I started with a twenty, then was eager to get a forty, then I went to a ten, now I want a twenty gallon. Best advice I can give is do a small simple tank and move up when you feel ready. But buy a nice heater for the maximum size tank you want so you aren’t always buying a new heater.

BaysEndReef

Anthony
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
received_680853599283486.jpeg

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, I am glad you asked.

You need to give the new tank to the daughter for (early) Christmas. Then go about your remodel and redecoration of the house and make room for the RBT (really big tank) that is in your future.

Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Paulie069

Random Acts Of Kindness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome Aboard R2R brother much luck to you. Looking for advice we’ll your in right place you just might get to much advice. People here are awesome and always willing to help you and give advice with common goal of helping you succeed in reefing

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi welcome to the reef going to love it here!!
lots of fun/info/fun/help/fun....

ShepherdReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. I'm new to the hobby. My adult daughter has a saltwater tank and I keep wanting to put stuff in it so she said I need my own tank! I'm completely new to saltwater tanks so I've been spending endless hours researching, learning, and educating myself. I have decided that I really want a reef tank with lots of coral and mushrooms and I seem to really like the invertebrates, CUCs, and there are a few fish I'm thinking about. So I'm looking at a diamond goby, Cardinal, firefish, shrimp, snails, maybe a couple crabs, but mostly mushrooms, soft coral and considering eventually other corals.

Right now I'm stuck on trying to decide what tank I want. I am debating between the Fluval 13.5 gal and the larger Fluval Flex 32.5 gal. I really like the AOI option as a starter and have seen some very nice builds of the 13.5 gal. But I'm wondering if I should bump up to the 32.5 gal Flex so I have room to grow without having to buy a new one and start a new bigger tank down the road. BUT, I've seen some concerning posts here and there about the quality of the 32.5 both in craftsmanship and hearing of structural failure/cracking. I don't know if those are rare cases or if I should be concerned. With all the sales, I'd like to order one this month so any expertise about these 2 tanks and recommendations as to which one I should start with would be great.

Looking forward to getting to know you all!

Hello and welcome. You can find many answers to the questions you have.

A+Aquatics

Rare Coral Curator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@#R_TST -
Not a dumb question at all. There are so many different aspects and details to literally everything. It's a great question.
It is wise to prepare in advance and have a blueprint in place so you have something to follow, the better you plan things out, the less hiccups you will have along the way. The idea is to plan for the issues and solve for them before they arise.

The caster-wheel option is a good option, but how confident are you on making 100% sure that you are able to install them properly, to the highest quality that is needed? Stands aren't what they used to be, so the one you have may be merely particle board of some sort. Do you feel comfortable with your new display parked on wheels? Have you thought of the price, quality and type of materials that you want the caster-wheels to be made out of? A good set of caster wheels may run you around $250.00 - Aim for wheels that will hold twice the weight of your display, which is around 300 LBS, so look for a weight support capacity of 600-800 LBS that boast double ball raceways.

In reality, a display system should never be moved if possible. This always holds the possible risk of compromising the integrity of the system overall; seals, braces, etc. However, moving a system is not rocket science, remember, "solve for the issues, before they arise." Technically, you could do a 80% water change and move the system with 20% of the water remaining in the display. This amount of weight is much more manageable with 2-3 individuals.

Simply put, moving your display would go quite well without an issue. Are your floors carpeted, tiled, hardwood, laminate or vinyl; these materials would all play a part in the moving details. Also, the materials would decide on the small detail of 'Locking' caster wheels.

Either option is a viable one and very doable at that. Which one would you prefer?
A) Mount Permanent Caster Wheels
B) Move With One/Two People

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 37 52.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.6%
Back