Normal or not?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a customer that wants an arc eye hawkfish. Now he went and did a google search and found this one:
arc-eye-hawkfish-paracirrhites-arcatus-oahu-hawaii-usa-DY79DG.jpg

I'm wondering if this darker coloration is something natural or if it's a trick of the camera and editing (i think it's editing magic). I want to try and find this certain coloration if I can, but I don't want to be chasing my tail on it. Any ideas yall? thanks!

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That dark area appears to be a shadow from the flash of the camera. It is not part of the pattern of the fish.

BTW arc eyes are semi aggressive, so may not play well with other tankmates.

OP
OP
melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That dark area appears to be a shadow from the flash of the camera. It is not part of the pattern of the fish.

BTW arc eyes are semi aggressive, so may not play well with other tankmates.

I guess I meant in comparison to this one which is what I normally see. Not the total body being darker if that makes sense:
image.php

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see, yeah, the coloration of the first one is more of a 'diver's color'. Pics in situ are a darker color than aquaria specimens.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first picture is some combination of illusions, the dark tail. The coral around it seems to have a shadow cast on it as well that's roughly the same color, I am guessing that's related.

I agree, arceye are pretty aggressive for a hawkfish. They can swallow fish whole you could never imagine. I was glad to get rid of my little Satan.

Maacc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a normal color as far as I have seen and echo the nastiness.

OP
OP
melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys! I've warned him of their aggressive natures, but he's in love with the little thing. Probably good that he's going a bit more aggressive with a fuzzy dwarf lion ect. Anyway! I gotta go break the bad news about the cool color he thought he could get. :D It's my super power... I tend to "crush dreams" every time somebody wants to buy something they really shouldn't, or just can't.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys! I've warned him of their aggressive natures, but he's in love with the little thing. Probably good that he's going a bit more aggressive with a fuzzy dwarf lion ect. Anyway! I gotta go break the bad news about the cool color he thought he could get. :D It's my super power... I tend to "crush dreams" every time somebody wants to buy something they really shouldn't, or just can't.
That's what I did when I ran the fish room at the LFS back in the day

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back