Overrated fish

dkfrosty1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Firefish Goby. Too easily frightened and can hide a lot. I like gobies/blennies like a Midas Blenny that exhibit interesting behavior like peeking out of rockwork and looking around but Firefish just hide and don't really add anything interesting to watch in the tank.
That was my thought as soon as I got mine home!!…..that’s it? He just hovers in the same spot all day? Ugh what a waste of reef cash!

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
clownfish…
can’t stand em

Agreed, the Betta Fish of the salty side of the hobby. Everyone and their dog has one and they are often complete jerks to boot. I had a snowflake occ and it was a first class butthead to anything in the tank. Got rid of it about 5 years ago and have been clownfish free ever since.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Firefish Goby. Too easily frightened and can hide a lot. I like gobies/blennies like a Midas Blenny that exhibit interesting behavior like peeking out of rockwork and looking around but Firefish just hide and don't really add anything interesting to watch in the tank.

Firefish would be next on my list after clownfish. Too skittish and my Purple Firefish was the biggest bully magnet I have ever seen in my life (literally everything fish that had an ounce of assertiveness went after it).

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you feel about pajama cardinalfish? I am thinking about a few for my tank but really can't decide if I like them or not.

Pajama Cardinals were described as "Stoner Fish" They literally just hang around all the time. About the only interesting thing I saw out of mine from a behavioral standpoint was that he could take much bigger chunks of food than fish 3-4 times his size. Their patterns and eyes are strange/interesting but I would say that of all the saltwater fish I have owned, Pajama Cardinals are the ones that come closest to your stereotypical freshwater fish for both color and personality.

Baronen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Firefish would be next on my list after clownfish. Too skittish and my Purple Firefish was the biggest bully magnet I have ever seen in my life (literally everything fish that had an ounce of assertiveness went after it).
Maybe try the helfrichi. Definitely quite a bit more money but mine is out and about all the time. Not as skittish or jumpy as the regular

Cpc83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
0   1   1
I have a candy stripe and a tiger.

The candy is super small and very shy

The tiger is a dick and is always out. When other fish get near its hole he snaps at them and tries to fight them. I was cleaning around and he even tried to square up with me. This pistol is the shrimp from hell
Sounds like my tiger

airvicconcre

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 7 triggers are more reef safe than the dwarfs although the Flame is nice. To me the rest are ugly.
hi. At the moment my tank is very new (2 months old) i have 1 scopas, 1 regal and a Pacific sailfin with 5 cromis and a humu (2") in the acclimation box. i love the trigger and i hate to see it alone in the acc box. can i put it out of my acclimation box? i fear it because it has a fiery reputation. advise please.

airvicconcre

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Algae Blenny......I have never had one that actually ate algae :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
i have two and they ate all the diatom in a couple of weeks. heres one photobombing

Attachments

• blenny photobomb.jpeg
    blenny photobomb.jpeg
    81.4 KB · Views: 18

Nemo&Friends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It took a few month, but my firefish are out all the time and eat a lot. So are my scissortail dartfish. These 2 do not even panick when I put my hand in the tank, and just stay out.

TWYOUNG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It took a few month, but my firefish are out all the time and eat a lot. So are my scissortail dartfish. These 2 do not even panick when I put my hand in the tank, and just stay out.
I've found my normal red firefish to be pretty fearless whereas my purples can disappear for days after a tank cleaning.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 70 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 62 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.5%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back