Par Meter Rental

bluerider098

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have a Par meter that they would be willing to loan or rent? BRS is no longer doing rentals and I just can't justify buying one to use 1 time.

I would be willing to pay shipping with insurance.

I live in Michigan.

Thanks

Bj’s Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Give them a call, they will be happy to help you. Ask for Scott and tell him Bobby told you about them. Yes I’m there to much but I can’t help myself.

fishybizzness

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Does anyone have a Par meter that they would be willing to loan or rent? BRS is no longer doing rentals and I just can't justify buying one to use 1 time.

I would be willing to pay shipping with insurance.

I live in Michigan.

Thanks
I wonder why they stopped renting them? They were always pushing it in their videos.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder why they stopped renting them? They were always pushing it in their videos.
Could you imagine the abuse and neglect these things go through from hand to hand I would never borrow mine out to anybody I would have to stand there and watch them use it especially because of the obvious price tag

OP
OP
bluerider098

bluerider098

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure. They said they were reevaluating thier rental program and were not sure that it would be coming back. He he gave no specifics. He said to check back with customer service periodically to see if they program will return.

I suspect they were getting damaged and people fought tooth and nail to not lose thier deposit. Lots of potential for mis packaging and damage in transit.

I also suspect people weren't great about returning them within the week either and then complain that they had to pay for another week. This is all speculation of course.

OP
OP
bluerider098

bluerider098

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually just received it Friday. It worked well. Here are a couple of tips.
  1. Take a picture of your tank and then print it out. Write your measurements directly on the photo where you took the reading from.
  2. Plan ahead by setting some presets on your light with the colors and intensities you want to measure.
  3. Take your measurements with your pumps on feed mode so that there is very little water movement. I tried taking them with the pumps running normally but the par readings would bounce all over the place due to the surface of the water moving. The readings would jump as much as 30 par.
Good luck.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  1. Take a picture of your tank and then print it out. Write your measurements directly on the photo where you took the reading from.
  2. Plan ahead by setting some presets on your light with the colors and intensities you want to measure.
  3. Take your measurements with your pumps on feed mode so that there is very little water movement. I tried taking them with the pumps running normally but the par readings would bounce all over the place due to the surface of the water moving. The readings would jump as much as 30 par.
Good luck.

thanks man. all great thoughts

The_Shrimper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just saw another thread, where the winter found an app that lets you test par on your phone.

Check it out :)

OP
OP
bluerider098

bluerider098

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just saw another thread, where the winter found an app that lets you test par on your phone.

Check it out :)
Lol, make sure your phone is waterproof, even with a plastic bag. Your phone likely costs more than a par meter of it gets water in it and ruins it. Lol.

In all seriousness it might be good for a gut check, but I am not sure how much I would trust the readings from your phone for accurately measuring par. The Apogee par meter you get with the rental was designed specifically to be used under water.

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck.
Great tips for using par meter! Thank you!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 23.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 46 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back