OP
OP
HD_Reefer

HD_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 8 of the cycle and ammonia is almost gone. Nitrite is a little higher than I would have expected at this point, but it's on the decline now. I'm guessing it will be complete by the end of the weekend.

Cycle.png

OP
OP
HD_Reefer

HD_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kessil h160, carbon in the back, bio-pellets up front.

CB3D74F1-D9DC-4A94-806C-5F14CBFAA187.jpeg

Looking at that pic reminded me that I still have some work to do on the reactor output plumbing. I mocked it up, but never actually finished it! Bio-pellets return in skimmer chamber and plumbed with an elbow to circulate that section. Carbon routes to the fuge chamber and does the same function. So far, it’s they’re both performing their functions well, just need to finalize the pipes.

mgelb16

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just getting the build thread started, stay tuned for as much detail as I can provide! See below for the build list and links to the supplier where I got each. BTW, I am not sponsored by any of these vendors, just sharing the best option that worked for me.

Display: Planet Aquariums Crystalline Reef 60X20X21 internal overflow, rimless. Link to PlanetAquarium.com
Sump: Trigger Systems Sapphire 39 Link to FishTanksDirect.com
ATO Tank: Trigger Systems Sapphire 10 Link to FishTanksDirect.com
ATO Control: XP Aqua Duetto ATO System Link to MarineDepot.com
Return Pump: EcoTech Vectra M2 Link to SaltwaterAquarium.com
Reactor Pump: EcoTech Vectra S2 Link to AquaCave.com
Wave Pump: 2x EcoTech MP40 Link to MarinDepot.com
Skimmer: AquaMaxx ConeS DCQ-2 Controllable Link to MarineDepot.com
Heater: 2x Finnex HMX 500s Link to SaltwaterAquarium.com
BioPellet Reactor: AquaMaxx BioMaxx BioPellet Reactor Link to MarineDepot.com
Media Reactor: AquaMaxx Fluidized GFO and Carbon Reactor Link to MarineDepot.com
UV Sterilizer: Aqua Ultraviolet Classic 25 Watt Link to FishTanksDirect.com
Lighting: 4x EcoTech Radion XR15 G5 Pro Link to AquaCave.com
Light Mounts: 4x ExoTech Radion XR15 RMS Mount Link to AquaCave.com
Pump Battery: EcoTech Marine Vortech Battery Backup Link to MarineDepot.com
System Battery: CyberPower ST900U Standby UPS Link to Amazon.com
Power Control: Kasa Smart HS300 Plug Power Strip Link to Amazon.com
Plumbing Pipe: 1" drain, 3/4" return & 1/2" reactor in blue PVC Link to FormuFit.com
Plumbing Fittings: Various Fittings & Valves Link to Grainger.com
Plumbing Accessories: Various Clips, Valves, Sump Leveling Mat Link to BulkReefSupply.com

That's the core of the system. Sand, rock and water will be determined later and will be sourced from my LFS. Waiting to decide on dosing pump until the tank / cabinet get delivered. Since I'm packing a ton of equipment in there, I need to get it plumbed and wired to see what the best option will be for the doser and containers. More to come....
I think that planted tanks are the best-looking tanks. It sounds like you know what you're doing. I hope it looks great!

OP
OP
HD_Reefer

HD_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgot to mention, I’m done with getting water from the LFS. It served us well for a long time, but with the new setup, it’s just too much water to be lugging around. The new tank is much more strategic that the other 2, so the fluctuations of the LFS water aren’t gonna cut it for this build. I ordered the BRS 7 stage RO/DI over the weekend, along with a couple of 55g holding tanks and all the various plumbing. I’ll document the mixing station build on here as well, so stay tuned for that. I have a rough idea on what I want, but waiting to get all the hardware in to make sure it all works as planned.

I’m burning through a little over 12g of RODI per week, so that was the straw that broke the camel’s back!

OP
OP
HD_Reefer

HD_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that planted tanks are the best-looking tanks. It sounds like you know what you're doing. I hope it looks great!
I definitely can’t claim that I know what I’m doing! I learn something new almost everyday and do a ton of research on everything I plan to do before actually doing it. This forum has been a major contributor to my success so far!

marxman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome setup!! Tank looks great so far, and the cabinet is really nice and neat!!
Can't wait to see how it progresses.

p.s nice Breakout!

OP
OP
HD_Reefer

HD_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome setup!! Tank looks great so far, and the cabinet is really nice and neat!!
Can't wait to see how it progresses.

p.s nice Breakout!
Thanks! It's slow and steady for now. Clarkii Clowns and Chromis are in and happy. I did put a couple of excess leather corals I had in there and they are doing very well. Parameters are stable so far and after almost a month of being live, nothing ugly has happened. All the filtration is operating perfectly as designed and I'm still practicing patience!

Working on the water mixing station now, just got the RODI unit hung on the wall this afternoon. Hope to finish it up over the weekend and get it running. I'll post pics when it's all done...the garage is a trainwreck at the moment!

OP
OP
HD_Reefer

HD_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the mixing station all setup and running. Made 50 gallons of RODI water in about 7 hours, so not too shabby. Once the water shut off the float valve, the BRS RODI unit started leaking out of the exit on the Anion DI canister. After some inspection, turns out the Mur-Lok fitting has a crack in the body. Sent an email to @Bulk Reef Supply tonight and waiting on them to send a replacement part before I can get everything finished up.

7 Stage PRO Plus 150 GPD Water Saver RO/DI System - Bulk Reef Supply
50 GALLON NORWESCO WHITE VERTICAL STORAGE TANK - National Tank Outlet
Jebao DCT-6000 Marine Controllable Water Pump
300W Orlushy Heater

Stand and plumbing made from what I had laying around. It's plumbed to push from RODI to SALT tank, circulate SALT tank or pump either through a hose to the wherever I want. Hose and hose real will be added later. There are also gravity valves for filling buckets on each, with unions to allow the valves to be moved up and out of the way when not in use. I also added a bottom drain to the SALT side to evacuate remaining particulates after cleaning without removing the tank from the stand.

I'm waiting on the new Kasa power strip to come in before I mount & route the cords, but it's working just fine the way it is. No more hauling jugs back and forth to the LFS for this guy!

IMG_0299.jpg
IMG_0301.jpg
IMG_0302.jpg

OP
OP
HD_Reefer

HD_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the RODI fixed and up and running. Decided to go with Brightwell Neomarine instead of Tropic Marin and loving it so far. Mixes extremely clean and will be doing the first water change with it this weekend.

Moved all the QT fish & coral to the DT last night and disassembled the QT to be moved to the garage. I’ll get that cleaned up and running in the next couple weeks.

Everything else is humming right along. Just ordered a lens for my phone, so better pics coming soon! For now, here’s a current shot. BTW, none of the coral are in their permanent spot, just moved in for now.

B0ED170F-4E8B-4187-8253-D76F09CD49E8.jpeg

ssunthar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A view of the left side from the end of the tank....hard to tell the NSA in the pic, but looks pretty solid in person.

3.jpg
What you used to bou
Initial deisgn of the aquascape is done. I still need to shore up a few of the pieces, but I think it's pretty close. Fingers crossed I don't need to change it after it gets in the tank!

Front view:
IMG_0035.jpg

Top view:
IMG_0036.jpg

Right side view:
IMG_0038.jpg

Left side view:
IMG_0039.jpg
Cool, may I know how (what you used) to attach the rocks so nicely? Thanks.

OP
OP
HD_Reefer

HD_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What you used to bou
Cool, may I know how (what you used) to attach the rocks so nicely? Thanks.
Bulk Reef Supply Super Glue Gel Extra Thick and accelerator.

Gort

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello again. I'm building out a 100 gal tank with a large sump. Do I recall you saying you're going thru about 12 gal of RO/DI water a week? I'm trying to determine my water storage and salt mixing capacities.

OP
OP
HD_Reefer

HD_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello again. I'm building out a 100 gal tank with a large sump. Do I recall you saying you're going thru about 12 gal of RO/DI water a week? I'm trying to determine my water storage and salt mixing capacities.
It was in the beginning, but seems to have settled out over time. I have a 10g RO reservoir and it gets close to empty every week, so I would guess 9 gallons per week.

ssunthar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bulk Reef Supply Super Glue Gel Extra Thick and accelerator.

Thank you very much

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 35 85.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 7.3%
Back