Gort

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was in the beginning, but seems to have settled out over time. I have a 10g RO reservoir and it gets close to empty every week, so I would guess 9 gallons per week.
What volume / % of water changes are you doing?

ssunthar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 8 of the cycle and ammonia is almost gone. Nitrite is a little higher than I would have expected at this point, but it's on the decline now. I'm guessing it will be complete by the end of the weekend.

Cycle.png
May I know what testing kit are you using?

ssunthar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Replaced about 1/2 the sand with special grade. It still swirls a little, but it’s tolerable now. Cycle officially started this morning!
Have a few questions on cycling hope you don't mind. What you do when cycling? What are the things you are looking for or tracking? Many suggested that cycling should be done for min 6-8 weeks... how you know your tank is cycled?

ssunthar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that’s a thing of beauty! The CoralBox is mounted and lines ran. Since I’ll be using Fritz Alk, Calc & Mag, their bottles worked perfectly for containers. Built a little holder so the bottles are velcro’d nice and tight. It worked out well, everything is out of the way! Little bit of cable management left and the tank will be on test autopilot probably until next weekend.

EABEA979-3791-466D-B966-79C6FAF198DD.jpeg
9426FF8C-704A-4002-90FE-12B90CAAAB2D.jpeg
May I know what are you dosing?

ssunthar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bulk Reef Supply Super Glue Gel Extra Thick and accelerator.

A follow on questions... using the glue alone will be strong enough to hold the rocks in place (especially when moving it around)? Seen others drilling the rocks and joining it with a metal rod. Your thoughts please. Thanks.

ssunthar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About 30 gallons per week for the 1st two months, now I'm doing the same every other week. I shut the pumps down and drain the sump for the water change, nice and easy.
Anxious to see how your tank look like now, please share any latest pics. Thanks.

OP
OP
HD_Reefer

HD_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a few questions on cycling hope you don't mind. What you do when cycling? What are the things you are looking for or tracking? Many suggested that cycling should be done for min 6-8 weeks... how you know your tank is cycled?
Cycling can be done several ways and everyone has their opinion. If you go with dry rock like I did, I would use the Microbacter StartXLM and Microbacter QuikCycl like I did. Add the bacteria and ammonia per the recommendations on the bottle. Once the Ammonia gets to 0 and you have nitrates registering, it's cycled far enough to handle hardy fish. It's important to understand that the 'cycle' goes on for a long time as the rocks mature and the bacteria take a strong hold. Dumping a ton of fish or anything non-hardy in there early is a recipe for disaster!

A follow on questions... using the glue alone will be strong enough to hold the rocks in place (especially when moving it around)? Seen others drilling the rocks and joining it with a metal rod. Your thoughts please. Thanks.

The BRS glue is all that I used. I used an ample amount during the build phase, then went back and added more to each glue joint after it was dry. I also added smaller pieces of rock in the crevices of each joint to help shore it up. My structures are super solid and have zero risk of breaking unless I do it intentionally! Please, whatever direction you end up going on your rock, DO NOT, DO NOT, DO NOT use metal rods in the structure! If you feel the need for rods, use Acrylic or Polycarbonate rods....absolutely nothing metal in the reef!

Some questions on rocks and scaping... how did the rocks came when you purchased small pieces or already partially shaped?
The rocks came in large chunks. I used a hammer and chisel to break them into smaller pieces, then glued them back together the way I wanted them. Nothing came preassembled.

Anxious to see how your tank look like now, please share any latest pics. Thanks.
I will post some current pics later today. That will be a good update, glad you asked!

Gort

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About 30 gallons per week for the 1st two months, now I'm doing the same every other week. I shut the pumps down and drain the sump for the water change, nice and easy.
I'm hoping that after the initial fill and cycle-required water changes, I can get away using a 32-gallon Brute on casters for RO/DI storage. My best indoor water source for the RO/DI system is in the upstairs laundry but the tank is one the main floor.

OP
OP
HD_Reefer

HD_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm hoping that after the initial fill and cycle-required water changes, I can get away using a 32-gallon Brute on casters for RO/DI storage. My best indoor water source for the RO/DI system is in the upstairs laundry but the tank is one the main floor.
Where is your water heater? I tapped into mine in the garage.

Gort

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where is your water heater? I tapped into mine in the garage.
The water heater is in the garage, a few yards away & several steps down from the main floor. I thought of doing the RO/DI station there, and still may. Wherever the storage tank / Brute is, I'll need to pump the water out to the salt mix container for water changes. I guess I could pump the RO/DI water back up from storage to the salt station on the main level. The garage gets cold in winter, but never freezing ;Stig

OP
OP
HD_Reefer

HD_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The water heater is in the garage, a few yards away & several steps down from the main floor. I thought of doing the RO/DI station there, and still may. Wherever the storage tank / Brute is, I'll need to pump the water out to the salt mix container for water changes. I guess I could pump the RO/DI water back up from storage to the salt station on the main level. The garage gets cold in winter, but never freezing ;Stig
Through a heater in the mixing tank and you're all set!

ssunthar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cycling can be done several ways and everyone has their opinion. If you go with dry rock like I did, I would use the Microbacter StartXLM and Microbacter QuikCycl like I did. Add the bacteria and ammonia per the recommendations on the bottle. Once the Ammonia gets to 0 and you have nitrates registering, it's cycled far enough to handle hardy fish. It's important to understand that the 'cycle' goes on for a long time as the rocks mature and the bacteria take a strong hold. Dumping a ton of fish or anything non-hardy in there early is a recipe for disaster!

The BRS glue is all that I used. I used an ample amount during the build phase, then went back and added more to each glue joint after it was dry. I also added smaller pieces of rock in the crevices of each joint to help shore it up. My structures are super solid and have zero risk of breaking unless I do it intentionally! Please, whatever direction you end up going on your rock, DO NOT, DO NOT, DO NOT use metal rods in the structure! If you feel the need for rods, use Acrylic or Polycarbonate rods....absolutely nothing metal in the reef!

The rocks came in large chunks. I used a hammer and chisel to break them into smaller pieces, then glued them back together the way I wanted them. Nothing came preassembled.

I will post some current pics later today. That will be a good update, glad you asked!
Cool, thank you very much.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 128 59.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 63 29.3%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 77 35.8%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 37 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 63 29.3%
Back