OP
OP
Hunt3r

Hunt3r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would only worry about PE if it is not "normal" for your tank. A really hairy Millepora, for example, that suddenly has no PE... this should be paid attention to. On the converse, a coral with next to no normal PE also has a bunch all of a sudden, then I would get to testing some water since it could not being having a hard time respiring... like too much ammonia or nitrite all of a sudden.

That what i have.. i mean i have millie fuzzy ones, jedi mindtrick monti etc.... when it touch my water after 24 hours during light it wont have any pe. I frag one red planet and sold it to my lfs. Next thing u know pe is crazy....

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Hunt3r

Hunt3r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

reacclimating 2 the hobby

patience is... oh look an acro pack fs!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For acropora, PE is mainly for gas exchange. If you don't have any nipping fish or inverts, then the polyps are retracted because they are getting enough gas exchange. If you turn all of the flow pumps off, then the polyps come out more to exchange more gas since the water around the coral is getting stagnant. More PE at night when the photosynthesis is not exchanging gasses.

Some SPS can have polyps out to try and eat, but this appears more pronounced in Stylos and Poci than others.

You can do more damage chasing PE than by just forgetting about it. Go by growth and color as your guide to coral health.

+1 to this... if you have growth and good color as stated, I wouldn't make a bunch of changes.

OP
OP
Hunt3r

Hunt3r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm. Not really as long as you have the discipline of not over dosing. Lots of dosing are drops and people tend to over dose or mix filtration with it and deal with problems.
It have its drawbacks, as an example it do not play well with gfo..so you have to be mindful of po4 cause you cannot just reduce it by using gfo.
It also can be prone to cyano cause it's so easy to bring down nutrients so fast, the zeolites along with the bacterial strain and carbon source are so effective...so controlling the zeo reactor flow rate is key.

All in all I love it and been on ot for 4 years. This is my 2nd zeovit system. What I love about it the most is it push you to observe coral cause there are some dosing depen on the coral color you look to achieve...I feel it got me in the weed of things more than other methods(I used redsea and other common biological filtration methods lile chateos which my 2nd system is at)

It can get bit expensive thu and for sure it's not the only method to run beautiful systems.
It's just so hard to get the zeovit collar color that you see In zeo systems..so hard. And I mean when you see it by your eye not photos...

I thought about it but i guess its not for me. I over dose stuff.

skysoblue987

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try Red Sea salt and ESV-B-Ionic. People report more polyp extensions in the reviews for B-Ionic.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Many variable results here. Salt mix, temperature, water flow and light schedules all play a role PE and consumption

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back