QT of Sand Dwelling Fish

KMench

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I am in the process of researching/purchasing a sand dwelling wrasse. Since these fish need a sand bed to sleep in, how would you go about medicating? I plan on observing and doing prazi only, as long as there is no problems noted. Will sand absorb prazi?

Thanks!

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I am in the process of researching/purchasing a sand dwelling wrasse. Since these fish need a sand bed to sleep in, how would you go about medicating? I plan on observing and doing prazi only, as long as there is no problems noted. Will sand absorb prazi?

Thanks!
Get a small bag of dry or live sand, put about 3-4 inches of it in a plastic container, place the plastic container in the bottom of the QT, and change it out every week or so or rinse it thoroughly when you do water changes. You'll want to toss the sand or save it for a future QT system.

OP
OP
KMench

KMench

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right, I added a plastic container with sand and have PVC pipe fittings. I was just curious if you altered your prazi dose at all or were concerned about the sand affecting the prazi?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right, I added a plastic container with sand and have PVC pipe fittings. I was just curious if you altered your prazi dose at all or were concerned about the sand affecting the prazi?

Sand absorption is minimal, especially compared to rock. Prazipro will be fine, but I would test daily if you plan on dosing copper. I personally use pool sand for my QTs to save $$$.

OP
OP
KMench

KMench

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys. Like I said, hoping to just monitor with no problems and dose prazi. I have CP if I encounter any problems. I assume that’s fine with the small portion of sand I will be using? I’ll post progress pics here to keep you guys informed of how it goes. I’m using @Humblefish’s advice and bought a small batch of fish instead of QT individually. Still in the learning curve on the whole QT thing but we shall see how it goes!

OP
OP
KMench

KMench

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s a picture. Got a 20 long for QT. With some pvc and a small container with sand. Could I dry the sand out, rinse it, and dump it in my main tank after letting it dry for a couple weeks, or is it just trash? I’ve got an ammonia alert badge, heater, HOB filter, and PP4 powerhead in there for aeration/circulation. Have lids as well to keep fish from jumping. No carpet surfers here!

2E7928E4-1FF5-4BCE-803D-75609E1895C5.jpeg

Sorry the waters cloudy, I had just added the sand container. It's crystal clear now. Also followed some more @Humblefish advice and asked what the SG of the fish is, so I can match the QT to it and just temperature acclimate. It's the little things that you read on here that make all the difference! Such a simple idea, but something I would've never thought of. ;Couchpotato Reading these forms make you better at fish husbandry :)

OP
OP
KMench

KMench

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't think to buy pool sand, although that would have been smart. I started with a bag of "live sand" (probably a waste of money) but if it helps promote the bio-filter at all it's worth it. I got the wrasse last night, and temperature acclimated her after ensuring the SG matched. Added her to the QT and she dove for the bottom. She drug her mouth across the bottom looking for sand for a bit before stopping in one random spot. I gave her a helping hand and took her to the sand box. She then dove right in. Haven't seen her since but I'll leave her alone. It looks like there are two spots on the sand bed now (like where she digs in) so I wonder if she got up overnight because her circadian rhythm is off from being shipped.

Back