Question for the T5 experts

Foxchase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
o I have 2 ai prime 16s on my 40B. But there are some dark spots. I like the idea of hybrid lighting. But they seem to be pretty pricey and I'd probably buy more Leds before spending $400+ on the whole thing

Is it possible to make a DIY version? Like, if i went to home depot and bought the "housing" and used T5 bulbs, would that work? Or is there something special with the reef specific "housing" (not sure the real name of it)

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The bulbs are the main thing. T5, if I remember correctly, has two different styles of plugs on the ends. Get the correct plugs and the correct ballast and you can use them on your tank. Technically, you can just get the plugs and ballast for the bulbs you want to use and build your own reflector as that is really all the housing is.

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes you can make your own t5 fixture, reef specific housing, for the most part is just built to be water resistant. you also would want high output T5s not normal output; the ballast is different between normal output and high output. however if you found a t5 high output housing at home depot you could use it on your reef tank. The reflectors in the housing as well might vary depending on the intended application, reef vs general purpose; but I would not worry about it if you are just experimenting.

Suohhen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Diy t5s you generally want a good instant start ballast such as a fulham workhorse. Many ballasts these days are rapid start which is fine but simply overpriced and use just a tiny bit more energy. For endcaps you can buy insulated retrofit caps and they have reflectors which clip to the bulb. That is it, pretty simple. The only difficult part could be the wiring but it isn't that complex the way instant start is wired. This is stuff you won't find at a big box store, local electrical supply houses usually carry a variety of ballasts but I generally shop for all this stuff online.
This is all pretty affordable, but good t5ho bulbs are really where it matters and they can be between $20 and 50 a piece

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Diy t5s you generally want a good instant start ballast such as a fulham workhorse. Many ballasts these days are rapid start which is fine but simply overpriced and use just a tiny bit more energy. For endcaps you can buy insulated retrofit caps and they have reflectors which clip to the bulb. That is it, pretty simple. The only difficult part could be the wiring but it isn't that complex the way instant start is wired. This is stuff you won't find at a big box store, local electrical supply houses usually carry a variety of ballasts but I generally shop for all this stuff online.
This is all pretty affordable, but good t5ho bulbs are really where it matters and they can be between $20 and 50 a piece
And then you're supposed to replace them every 6 months or the spectrum can start changing.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 66 75.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 6.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back