Raeges 75 gallon Adventure

Green Hair Algae battleplan?


  • Total voters
    161
Well my fellow vinegar / salty friends the cleaning continues changed out 25 gallons and two pumps are soaking. Taking a break to make some pizza on the grill and to check out the filter @Paul C. is loaning me.
Paul’s been working straight out last two weeks 7 day weeks and no free time but still hooked me and Rich up with pods and his premium juice. Since Paul is working his wife Mary Beth dropped of the delivery to my house! Paul please thank your wife for me again was awesome to meet her. Behind every reefer is an awesome tolerant spouse :)
If ya all need pods or phyto nano check him out. If he don’t like it and wouldn’t use it he doesn’t sell it. Another of the awesome folks I have met here on R2R
Back to the tank breaks over lol wife wants it done! ;Hilarious
 
Last edited:
I pulled my socks a few weeks ago, best decision yet ;)
+1 , smartest decision I’ve made in reefing.

This is the reason I splurged on the overflow and got a Synergy Shadow. 3 drains. So I run one sock on the primary, no sock on secondary, and it flows up through the bags of carbon and phosguard. I dialed back the primary VIA the ball valve I put in. (Should have done a gate valve but I was penny pinching)

So I run about 30% flow through my primary and sock, and 70% through the wide open secondary as my Cheapskate GFO reactor ;)
 
Grilled pizza was delish! The grilled poundcake and pineapple dessert not to shabby either

0602191308.jpg
 
Cleaning is done! Waters a bit cloudy and my hand is beat up from the clown :mad: but ready for some new frags :) if the lights are up will get pics tonight of new additions but for now nothing to see :(

A3A16722-8B30-47EC-959F-1C51B2362219.jpeg
 
It’s clean up day.
30 gal WC
Skimmer clean out
Filter socks
Glass scrape
Pumps getting soaked and scrubbed in vinegar dunk
May not put socks in full time thinking something easier to clean and ensure not leaving a nitrate factory in sump
I pulled my socks a few weeks ago, best decision yet ;)

I would not run a tank without filter socks. I change them every 2 weeks. It takes longer to test Alk and NO3 than to change and put the socks in the washer.
Keeps it all nice and crisp.

Grilled pizza was delish! The grilled poundcake and pineapple dessert not to shabby either

0602191308.jpg

Good looking pizza, but I am a dessert person... any pics of that? LOL
 
@Janci my tank is crystal clear without running socks for the last few weeks. I was more interested in saving the pods caught in them. ;)
 
Hello fellow enthusiasts of all things reef it’s been 24 hours since introduction of some new zoas. Many are opening up nicely a couple still not fully loving the tank.
The first are the full rock of polyps I got. Some are popping others lagging. They were transferred from the rock to a small piece of egg crate had trouble gluing this to the rocks as the crate had a T shape and didn’t want to hurt polyps trying to trim
B2793732-80A8-447E-A1DA-D5F779D56C03.jpeg


462501EA-8AA1-4AFB-90A6-A853A06F4452.jpeg


7E120AE6-145A-4AC2-9660-2A41E6D1390E.jpeg


9E34C0EA-9631-411C-9A59-086268AD2F9D.jpeg


91B5B593-AB43-44B5-B86B-D46297CB5EDF.jpeg


The last one is the only one realllyyyyy lad hasn’t opened as of yet hopfully it will mellow out

363A114D-7DC8-4EDD-8736-05C065D6D802.jpeg
 
Thanks! Im excited have the borrowed nitrate reactor that should be running Friday when the pump comes in. Im curious to see how this helps clean my mess faster than just vodka dosing alone.
 
Happy Wednesday my salt family. The clean up crew from reef cleaners came in today. In pics you can see they do things different. The snails and crabs come in just a little water and with damp paper towels. Acclimation is just for temp 15 minute float and into the tank. Ph and salinity not a big deal they are very tolerant coming from intertidal waters. See some pics below
Also here’s a pic of the MONSTER Aquaripure nitrate reactor @paul C is loaning me to try. You might have guessed he’s got much bigger tank he used it on lol. It worked like a charm for him and hoping it gets me rest if way to where I want it to be in a few weeks after it cycles.
On a coral note all new zoas are opened and looking good. The orange oxides I dug out of hole in rock are just a few small polyps now not the huge ball of color before they got dislodged and lost, but I’ll take a cpl surviving polyps that will come back :-)

4C1AA277-3CCC-411E-935E-241409D792B3.jpeg


D8FD38AF-84AF-4261-BB13-E9C7AE772FDF.jpeg


540E074A-FFD8-438E-88F1-B85F976D6BD9.jpeg


D9770E87-5347-43E2-9BCE-FB111FC9B973.jpeg


76DCBF84-5ABB-4205-A651-6566A42D3740.jpeg


88B805DA-79E4-4F69-93A1-F45B6A19CDB4.jpeg
 
Happy Wednesday my salt family. The clean up crew from reef cleaners came in today. In pics you can see they do things different. The snails and crabs come in just a little water and with damp paper towels. Acclimation is just for temp 15 minute float and into the tank. Ph and salinity not a big deal they are very tolerant coming from intertidal waters. See some pics below
Also here’s a pic of the MONSTER Aquaripure nitrate reactor @paul C is loaning me to try. You might have guessed he’s got much bigger tank he used it on lol. It worked like a charm for him and hoping it gets me rest if way to where I want it to be in a few weeks after it cycles.
On a coral note all new zoas are opened and looking good. The orange oxides I dug out of hole in rock are just a few small polyps now not the huge ball of color before they got dislodged and lost, but I’ll take a cpl surviving polyps that will come back :)

4C1AA277-3CCC-411E-935E-241409D792B3.jpeg


D8FD38AF-84AF-4261-BB13-E9C7AE772FDF.jpeg


540E074A-FFD8-438E-88F1-B85F976D6BD9.jpeg


D9770E87-5347-43E2-9BCE-FB111FC9B973.jpeg


76DCBF84-5ABB-4205-A651-6566A42D3740.jpeg


88B805DA-79E4-4F69-93A1-F45B6A19CDB4.jpeg

Fire that Bad Boy Up baby!!!

How are the zoas settling?
@thejuice24
 
I heard about this new thing on @najer s thread so giving it a go :)

Nitrates 45ish still struggling I had hoped a week with no socks would show a difference. Visually the water looks clearer since socks out but numbers unchanged
PO4 0.08
Ca 500
Mg 1500
DKH dropped to 7.2 from 8.4 4 days ago
GHA is patchy down low in tank getting long again have to cut back feedings and get reactor online see what that does for us. I keep thinking it’s got to be a heavy hand feeding but we see them chasing and eating the bits as we drop them in. Hopefully between CUC boost from Reefcleaners and nitrate reactor will nail this down.

B0E27BE0-8D7E-4EDE-8B6F-9C4CE95A2BAD.jpeg


D40A08DD-4756-4BB8-96A4-CAB37EDECC07.jpeg
 
that's a lot of bags floating lol!
Yeah it is lol. I was a little surprised at the recommended heavy clean up crew size by ReefCleaners but I have GHA and current guys not getting it done. Will see if all the bags are worth it in a week or two :)
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new