Green Hair Algae battleplan?

• Total voters

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need to find a four foot long trough to put vinegar solution in to try and feee em..... and yes I thought bathtub but wife’s not crazy about that idea.......

AA66008D-81ED-40A9-8DD0-6C71FE52060E.jpeg
Buy a cheap kiddie pool

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Compact fluorescents
Thinking now maybe one combo 10k and actinic 420nm in front slot then double actinic in back slot. Gotta see what’s available out there

Caught up on your thread a bit -- I would definitely ditch the compact fluorescent bulbs. At best they're a waste of energy. I would advise you to consider dumping them and moving on to a better lighting source.

In fact, for very little, you could get a 2-4 bulb LET retrofit kit, and put a couple SBReef lights in the middle, or Noopsyche LED's.

OP
OP
Raege

Raege

I’m a leaf on the wind watch me soar
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Caught up on your thread a bit -- I would definitely ditch the compact fluorescent bulbs. At best they're a waste of energy. I would advise you to consider dumping them and moving on to a better lighting source.

In fact, for very little, you could get a 2-4 bulb LET retrofit kit, and put a couple SBReef lights in the middle, or Noopsyche LED's.
Eventually the three 165w 4 channels will be replaced (the Noopsyche look awesome for price) just going to drop my current leds into the case as it’s a better mount than the Chinese garbage that can’t handle the middle brace or mount length wise ;)
Will leave fluorescents in place maybe flip em on for pics or if they add any visual appeal for viewing in evening. I was hoping they wouldn’t hurt adding em to my leds but no biggie it’s really about getting mounting kegs and positioning the leds horizontal and centered better.
@Rakie thanks for the info bud appreciated saves a couple bucks on bulbs to put in bank to a, real upgrade down the road

OP
OP
Raege

Raege

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If u need a hand hit me up, this guy didnt get back to me for work tomorrow... smh
That sucks on the work gig :(
I should be good just need to paint em drill three holes and slap er together. The hard part was gutting it out some of that crud was solidified pretty hard. Probably finish it of on the weekend need some more beach time :cool:

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sucks on the work gig :(
I should be good just need to paint em drill three holes and slap er together. The hard part was gutting it out some of that crud was solidified pretty hard. Probably finish it of on the weekend need some more beach time :cool:
Makes me smile to see all the effort u have put in over the last few months sir... and now the lights too?!?! Im excited for u and the upgrades.

Well deserved Ray

OP
OP
Raege

Raege

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Rich :) it took a while for the shame of the tilted lights to get me moving lol. I’m like a boulder on mountain top start rolling slow but once moving get outta the way! :D

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I recently saw a metal halide/ led hybrid that looked interesting too. The noop hybrid got me all excited. I really want a hybrid. I think the benefits are too good to ignore. Imo.

OP
OP
Raege

Raege

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hu all Took a salt road trip today with the boss. About 50 min ride to Wet Pets in Vernon Ct. Nice shop good selection of dry goods every med ive seen mentioned and stuff only seen online. Being July fish selection was limited but like that they run individual tanks and do QT and treatment for few weeks before selling. A nice selection if corals on hand coulda gone overboard easy. While in area hit Aquatic Wildlife in Ct and Pepes coal fired pizza. Pizza was awesome Aqustuc Wildlife not much in store corals 1/2 amt from last visit and few fish.

0717191235a.jpg 0717191234d.jpg 0717191235.jpg 0717191232.jpg 0717191219.jpg 0717191350.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Raege

Raege

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello my salt minded friends, I finished the kit bashed mounting for my dsuny leds. Drilled one hole an inch short....... that’s ok extra ventilation lol. It’s quite the difference with his straight and lower to tank they are. Fish and corals very upset with the 4,5 extra hours of darkness.
I found out I’m to poor to pay full attention as well. The Duncan wife bought a while back sitting ignored in frag rack grew a second head! Pretty cool @NY_Caveman is right touch it as little as possible lol. Kinda scared to mount it and make it angry, will get a pick once it’s unangrified but here’s the lights for now,

0CCA9693-C67C-43D6-88EA-D1A2FED71979.jpeg 1F498832-10F0-4A72-94BC-87EB617C2728.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Raege

Raege

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couldn’t resist another FTS with new light mounting. I am amazed at how different the tank looks just from moving the lights down and getting them parallel to tank. Really happy with the visual effects tank was stunning going into sunset

B6EDABBE-8071-459F-8A65-4E2C4740563D.jpeg

On another note one of my PP8’s is DED dead :-( I tried the fixes from web swapping out ceramic bushing no avail so I bought another ice cap 1k gyre. Will set this up tomorrow and do best to manually time them to work opposite of each other :) if I was rolling in coin the maxspect have a controller to handle this but not worth the extra jingle to me sleep fast folks catch ya on the flip side
Raege in Da Cage

Last edited:

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couldn’t resist another FTS with new light mounting. I am amazed at how different the tank looks just from moving the lights down and getting them parallel to tank. Really happy with the visual effects tank was stunning going into sunset

B6EDABBE-8071-459F-8A65-4E2C4740563D.jpeg

On another note one of my PP8’s is DED dead :-( I tried the fixes from web swapping out ceramic bushing no avail so I bought another ice cap 1k gyre. Will set this up tomorrow and do best to manually time them to work opposite of each other :) if I was rolling in coin the maxspect have a controller to handle this but not worth the extra jingle to me sleep fast folks catch ya on the flip side
Raege in Da Cage

Way to go man. Definitely gotta stop over soon and see the finished product in person bud... what a difference. NICE.

OP
OP
Raege

Raege

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Way to go man. Definitely gotta stop over soon and see the finished product in person bud... what a difference. NICE.
Absolutely need to get together Gotta check your system out as well I’m curious to see your ato see what’s stands out to overfill past the float switch. Only thing in my head is a siphon getting going. Curious to see what would happen if we switched controllers. Also want to touch base on Richapalooza coming up in August with you @NY_Caveman @Scurvy @Fudsey @Crabby48 Im hoping my tailored spandex is back with the rhinestones attached by then

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im hoping my tailored spandex is back with the rhinestones attached by then

Antici...

Pation!

Richapalooza is going to be a good time. No matter what. :)

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 70 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 62 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back