Reasons to change lights?

Xero

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got rid of 4 G5's due to them turning on in the middle of the night or resetting intensity on their own (Still an ongoing issue after updates). It doesn't help that all 4 of mine cracked and made popping noises. Either way, I'm glad there are folks who are happy with their G5's. Hopefully they enable wifi sooner or later.

From my understanding, they're going to release a "wifi -> bluetooth" bridge, as a separate product. Basically, a reeflink 2.0....I'd hope that means it will keep things in sync better, and eliminate some of these device compatibility issues I've been having. I was just talking to someone about nearly the same issue with their hydra 32s, which are also supposed to be put under this platform eventually, or so I think.....

I don't believe there's actually a wifi chip in these things. It's not in the FCC listing anyway, nor was there any new FCC listings for the G5 (though versa got one, but still the same protocols), so I presumed that meant they re-used the 2017 "black rf chip" in the G5, which is dual radio, but it's 802.15.4 and bluetooth LE. However, neither radio is capable of wifi, 802.15.4 is what reeflink uses, as well as phillips hue bulbs, and various "zigbee" smart-home devices.

Didn't mean to go off-topic, but was just curious.

OP
OP
RRTV-Cody

RRTV-Cody

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am on The fence. I had 2 metal halides and came across a great deal local on 2 used orpheks. v2 but upgraded to v4.1. So I hoped on them and ran them a few months then had some channels stop working and a few diodes burn out. Upon research this was seemingly common, and frustrating as the new board wasnt even 2 years old. I took them down and sent them to the US rep and put my halides back up. Now I’m looking at a decent sized investment to fix/update both lights or just keeping my halides(maybe swap Out bulbs in a few months). The issue I have is multi level but the biggest one for me is just the fact that if I don’t fix them then they are almost worthless since they don’t work and need updated to work. So yeah an “upgrade“ here went wrong and I’m not sure I’ll go back. I’ve alsways loved halides.

corey
Dang that stinks!

Ricky_Reef

Diamond Goby Lover/Hater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I held back this time on getting the latest and kept my G4 Pro Radions rather than sell and get the G5's. Added a Noopsyche T5 Hybrid a few months back and glad I didn't fall for the G5 hype. Added some Diffusers to my G4's and I couldn't be happier!

NipunOMFS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am planning on changing my Kessil to radion or red sea, just because I like the deeper blues of them. I started with Kessil because of all the positive reviews. But I am gravitating towards a deepar blue.

slowngreen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently switched from Sanrise R60's to Hydra 52's. The r60's had far better coverage and a better to the eye look in my tank but their foot print didnt let much heat out of my canopy where they hydra 52's take up very little room.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back