View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, my current test results:
- /boot/config.txt is exactly same as recommended in the
- 1 wire based temp sensor is working
- All 8 channel 12V relay/power controller is working
- 10 v pwm/0-10v still not working as expected. I am not sure whats going on. At least on linux side i can see the proper params (period and dutycycle for both pwm channels).

I'll start testing with oscilloscope (in case this is frequency related) and then trace the pcb with multi meter tomorrow.

Also, what is your kernel version? The exact parameters have changed between Jessie and Stretch kernels IIRC.

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, what is your kernel version? The exact parameters have changed between Jessie and Stretch kernels IIRC.
I'm o stretch, kernel 4.14.
I think I have some better understanding of whats going on with the 0-10V output. Here are two observations:
- The pins are bit different. When I connect my stock kessil connector (both end male 3.5 mm 3 pin audio jacks) , GND is mapped on ring and both channels on tip and sleeve. This is most likely the reason why lights were not working as expected.
- The range is 0-11V instead of 10V. Here are the reef-pi UI to voltage output , measured by multimeter
0% -> 0V
1% -> .11 V
5% ->.55 V
50% -> 5.5V
90% -> 9.9V
100% -> 11 V
I can deal with this with reef-pi's light specific parameters (set max threshold at 90%). For the channel mismatch, I think I'll build an adapter (female to male) to remap the channels as expected (sleeve being GND, and tip/ring each representing one channel)

OP
OP
theatrus

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm o stretch, kernel 4.14.
I think I have some better understanding of whats going on with the 0-10V output. Here are two observations:
- The pins are bit different. When I connect my stock kessil connector (both end male 3.5 mm 3 pin audio jacks) , GND is mapped on ring and both channels on tip and sleeve. This is most likely the reason why lights were not working as expected.
- The range is 0-11V instead of 10V. Here are the reef-pi UI to voltage output , measured by multimeter
0% -> 0V
1% -> .11 V
5% ->.55 V
50% -> 5.5V
90% -> 9.9V
100% -> 11 V
I can deal with this with reef-pi's light specific parameters (set max threshold at 90%). For the channel mismatch, I think I'll build an adapter (female to male) to remap the channels as expected (sleeve being GND, and tip/ring each representing one channel)

Yeah, looks like we will overshoot by 10%. Let me work on a different resistor value for the gain. This was likely me economizing part selection to not add another unique value to the mix.

As for the pinout, my ground is also on the ring - signals on tip and sleeve. What did I miss?

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, looks like we will overshoot by 10%. Let me work on a different resistor value for the gain. This was likely me economizing part selection to not add another unique value to the mix.

As for the pinout, my ground is also on the ring - signals on tip and sleeve. What did I miss?
For kessil, I need GND on the sleeve.

OP
OP
theatrus

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can the lighting 'module' use non-Kessel lights, or would I need to use the 0-10VDC outputs to control my lights (ReefBrite and BuildMyLED)?

If your lighting dims with 0-10V, its a straight connection. If you lighting wants logic PWM, I'd suggest wiring a PCA9685 to the I2C port - just the breakout board from Adafruit or the like should work.

dmolavi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your lighting dims with 0-10V, its a straight connection. If you lighting wants logic PWM, I'd suggest wiring a PCA9685 to the I2C port - just the breakout board from Adafruit or the like should work.
The BML uses straight 0-10V. I'll have to check the ReefBrite and see what it uses as it's dimming input (it's a separate module, not included with the light).

OP
OP
theatrus

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The BML uses straight 0-10V. I'll have to check the ReefBrite and see what it uses as it's dimming input (it's a separate module, not included with the light).

Should be a direct connection then!

(Note that in the current board set, its really a 0-11V output, an extra bonus volt at the 100% setting :-D. This will be fixed.)

rushbattle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3FA82E51-5762-47A8-8F79-35AF58E08758.jpeg

Can anyone spy Waldo?
For those keeping record, neutral wasn't soldered at all on relay #4.

rushbattle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am still seeing the same behavior on the 0-10V outputs.
@theatrus Working on 0-10VDC outputs. I am showing -8.83VDC on both the tip and the middle contact with reference to the base contact when they are set to 75% and 25% respectively via reef-pi. I am using an off the shelf jack and integrated cable.

In reef-pi one jack is set to pin0 and the other pin1. They both track the pin0 setting, and showing negative rather than positive voltage.

Any ideas what I am doing wrong?
I have double checked config.txt. I am showing:
dtoverlay=pwm-2chan

This is correct yes? Do I need anything else to ensure the PWM pins work?

With regards to the ring, I get pin0 working correctly on the sleeve, which is pin0, apparently. Nothing changes when I move pin1 settings for the tip in reef-pi. Both boards are behaving the same way, I must have something misconfigured. rpi PWM freq is set to 300Hz via reef-pi.

Any ideas folks?

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my kessil a80 control working today with a custom male/female Audio jack connector . Since the rev c has a different pin arrangement (gnd on ring) than what is expected by kessil (gnd on sleeve ) I had to do this .
0BD23045-11FE-4AC9-BF2F-4CDEF21BA70B.jpeg
98E6C5A6-D3CF-4330-9BD9-FFB64BBC8CE9.jpeg

It’s works perfect now. Which means for one of my pico tank now the base board (rev c) is controlling all equipment , temperature control and light (kessil a80). I’ll be testing the ph driver soon with the standalone board(roberto’s) and then test it against the base board

Very exciting. And again, good job @theatrus and thank you for sending a sample board for test.

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

dtoverlay=pwm-2chan

With regards to the ring, I get pin0 working correctly on the sleeve, which is pin0, apparently. Nothing changes when I move pin1 settings for the tip in reef-pi. Both boards are behaving the same way, I must have something misconfigured. rpi PWM freq is set to 300Hz via reef-pi.

Any ideas folks?
I just posted about this, the channels are bit differen. Sleeve is one channel, tip is another and ring is gnd.

OP
OP
theatrus

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

dtoverlay=pwm-2chan

Any ideas folks?

Use the dtoverlay line from here:

https://github.com/blueacro/reefpi-pico/blob/master/config.txt

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how do we tie dosing pumps into the rev D boards?
You have to use the 0-10V two channel output, exposed as audio connector. You'll have some ancillary circuit and a dedicated power supply for the dosing pumps.

The pico board was designed to support a pico reef tank :) and the intended use case did not involve doser. It was only equipment, temperature and light. These were my suggestion . @theatrus added the ph circuit, a board specific MCU and bunch of other goodies in there, but still nothing targeted for dosers, per say.

But as I was mentioning, it should be possible to use the 0-10V pwm to control a purpose-built doser.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 14 9.3%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 43 28.7%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 71 47.3%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 19 12.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back