OP
theatrus

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have to use the 0-10V two channel output, exposed as audio connector. You'll have some ancillary circuit and a dedicated power supply for the dosing pumps.

The pico board was designed to support a pico reef tank :) and the intended use case did not involve doser. It was only equipment, temperature and light. These were my suggestion . @theatrus added the ph circuit, a board specific MCU and bunch of other goodies in there, but still nothing targeted for dosers, per say.

But as I was mentioning, it should be possible to use the 0-10V pwm to control a purpose-built doser.

If you only want on/off control, you can use the digital outlets to drive an external FET and a doser pump that way.

DirtDiggler2823

If I can't break it, it doesn't exist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have to use the 0-10V two channel output, exposed as audio connector. You'll have some ancillary circuit and a dedicated power supply for the dosing pumps.

The pico board was designed to support a pico reef tank :) and the intended use case did not involve doser. It was only equipment, temperature and light. These were my suggestion . @theatrus added the ph circuit, a board specific MCU and bunch of other goodies in there, but still nothing targeted for dosers, per say.

But as I was mentioning, it should be possible to use the 0-10V pwm to control a purpose-built doser.

Thanks! That'll be my next project. Now I need to work on getting the power strip working properly.

Trickman2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Parts are coming in but now I have no idea where to start lol. Powerbar arrived today. Hopefully the case for the baseboard is coming soon.

OP
OP
theatrus

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is pH monitoring supported yet? I see it in the UI, and i see the jack for it, but I also remember seeing discussion about it in here as not being ready yet. @@theatrus @@ranjib

Not yet! Lots of plumbing works are in progress to allow ReefPi to deal with different hardware, including different pH sensors besides the Atlas Scientific one.

OP
OP
theatrus

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Parts are coming in but now I have no idea where to start lol. Powerbar arrived today. Hopefully the case for the baseboard is coming soon.

Cases should be heading out the door tomorrow. Messed up a few and had to order more blanks - apologies for the delays.

Trickman2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cases should be heading out the door tomorrow. Messed up a few and had to order more blanks - apologies for the delays.

No stress at all...this is just a pet project. My 280 gallon has a apex on it so this is just for fun.

Trickman2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stupid question, haven't Mapped out all pins yet but you have a list- to what outlet on the DB9

Trickman2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
76bd85752eaaaf6e5bdfc1238b4c29a6.jpg

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, here is my map. These are accurate for my RevC boards, both of them. The sockets correlate with the outlets...
DB9outlets.jpg
Oops. I shared wrong pin map. That was for my uln2803 based build. Here is the correct screenshot
Screen Shot 2019-01-03 at 11.14.02 PM.png

Last edited:

DirtDiggler2823

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the optical sensor, do we need that board and cable, or can we tie the sensor directly to the pico board? @@theatrus

OP
OP
theatrus

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the optical sensor, do we need that board and cable, or can we tie the sensor directly to the pico board? @@theatrus

You'll need the adapter board, or a resistor to provide a pull-up and a current limit for the LED (I presume? I'm looking at the adapter board schematic).

DirtDiggler2823

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll need the adapter board, or a resistor to provide a pull-up and a current limit for the LED (I presume? I'm looking at the adapter board schematic).
No problem. I have space in the enclosure for that board to be properly mounted, and I see how to tie it into the pico board. I'll knock out my ATO system this weekend. That would leave the dosers as the last thing to build.

OP
OP
theatrus

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Speaking of level sensors, I wanted to toy with the idea of making USB modules to expand Reef-Pi, base-board or not. I also wanted to experiment using pressure sensors to determine liquid level in arbitrary amounts (think ATO reservoir, 2-part, etc)

As part of the experiment, I knocked this up:

pcb1.png

Its designed to slide into a case:

1455c802rb.jpg

I can inexpensively making face-plates for both sides using acrylic of PCBs them selves, which makes doing cutouts for ports much easier, even if the case is more expensive than plastic (though the aluminum extrusion is extra lux).

So, whats on board?

- ATSAMD21G processor for USB
- Two MPXV7002 pressure sensors (differential). https://www.nxp.com/docs/en/data-sheet/MPXV7002.pdf for level sensors. I'd bring out the ports via tubing. The idea is to use a rigid piece of airline tubing immersed in the liquid of choice connected via airline back to the module. As liquid level changes, so does the hydrostatic air pressure in the rigid tubing. Using a differential sensor to cancel out atmospheric pressure changes.
- Four pin pluggable terminal block connector for connecting two mechanical float switches
- 4 pin JST XH header to direct connect the IR level sensors
- Misc power bits

Its going to take a bit to get USB support into Reef-Pi, but this will be a cheap but useful way to test the whole idea out. Even though the case is tiny I'm trying to see if I can squeeze something for a DC pump power connector in, but it may be better suited for a bigger version of the case.

rushbattle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Speaking of level sensors, I wanted to toy with the idea of making USB modules to expand Reef-Pi, base-board or not. I also wanted to experiment using pressure sensors to determine liquid level in arbitrary amounts (think ATO reservoir, 2-part, etc)

As part of the experiment, I knocked this up:

pcb1.png

Its designed to slide into a case:

1455c802rb.jpg

I can inexpensively making face-plates for both sides using acrylic of PCBs them selves, which makes doing cutouts for ports much easier, even if the case is more expensive than plastic (though the aluminum extrusion is extra lux).

So, whats on board?

- ATSAMD21G processor for USB
- Two MPXV7002 pressure sensors (differential). https://www.nxp.com/docs/en/data-sheet/MPXV7002.pdf for level sensors. I'd bring out the ports via tubing. The idea is to use a rigid piece of airline tubing immersed in the liquid of choice connected via airline back to the module. As liquid level changes, so does the hydrostatic air pressure in the rigid tubing. Using a differential sensor to cancel out atmospheric pressure changes.
- Four pin pluggable terminal block connector for connecting two mechanical float switches
- 4 pin JST XH header to direct connect the IR level sensors
- Misc power bits

Its going to take a bit to get USB support into Reef-Pi, but this will be a cheap but useful way to test the whole idea out. Even though the case is tiny I'm trying to see if I can squeeze something for a DC pump power connector in, but it may be better suited for a bigger version of the case.
Yes. All of the yes.

With this, and some more expansion boards, you will have created an almost plug and play reef-pi ecosystem after all of the excellent work already done on the reef-pi system. That’s game changing, thank you.

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice :)
You have any specific use case in mind? Like how the level information will be used for specific any user-facing features?
Im curious i2c vs usb. Is it due to speed? Why JST connector for sensor? They are kinda pain to plug/unplug.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 35 36.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 12 12.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 31 32.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 16 16.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back