Reef Science fair project ideas

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ways to be quantitative: include spectral plots of each condition. Include intensity numbers for light channels. Include par measurements. Quantify common tank parameters each week and plot. You could even include an icp test of the tank as supplemental data. Measure growth each week over the course of months. Do this with a few species... Cheap and accessible stuff so that you can do replicates of each condition and do statistics on your results. Measure the mass of each frag each week for sps. Measure the polyp count and mass each week for zoas. Zoas will have bigger error bars because they inflate with water.

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something simpler and doesn't risk your corals: how does temperature, ph, or aeration impact nitrogen cycle.

Get a few tanks and start cycling them, each with a different control and diff variable. Should be relatively easy to implement and monitor

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something simpler and doesn't risk your corals: how does temperature, ph, or aeration impact nitrogen cycle.

Get a few tanks and start cycling them, each with a different control and diff variable. Should be relatively easy to implement and monitor
Love this. Doesn't even need to be tanks. You could do it in buckets and set up a bunch so that you can do replicates. Easily control for input by mixing up a big match of water with ammonia dosed directly.

Sshannon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, they allow it, I asked.

I think I have until December or January

Yea true, I do have spare tanks and equipment lying around so
Even if they allow it make sure to submit the permits and paperwork for it as soon as possible. I remember that it can take 1+ months for the board of "whoever is in charge" to approve the use of animals, even invertebrates. I did mine in 11th grade on the effects of pond dyes on crayfish, and it took 1.5 months to get approval before I could even start.

OP
OP
|Tom the Bomb|

|Tom the Bomb|

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even if they allow it make sure to submit the permits and paperwork for it as soon as possible. I remember that it can take 1+ months for the board of "whoever is in charge" to approve the use of animals, even invertebrates. I did mine in 11th grade on the effects of pond dyes on crayfish, and it took 1.5 months to get approval before I could even start.
Wow maybe it’s different here in Canada, but since due to COVID, we aren’t allowed to bring in what we experimented with this year, just make a poster/slides (and photos are needed for proof) and present it so that may be why it’s allowed not sure

Uzidaisies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Maybe even how surface area effects cycle, pounds of rock being the quantifiable variable.

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow maybe it’s different here in Canada, but since due to COVID, we aren’t allowed to bring in what we experimented with this year, just make a poster/slides (and photos are needed for proof) and present it so that may be why it’s allowed not sure
Most of these rules are related to animal welfare and have nothing to do with bringing animals to school. There are probably federal regulations that require experiments performed on animals to be approved by an animal care and use committee. When an institution doesn't have an internal animal care and use committee (as would be the case in a high school) it could be outsourced to a university that does have an iacuc, but this is all of we're talking about doing things "by the book.". I doubt your school cares if they have already given approval.

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of these rules are related to animal welfare and have nothing to do with bringing animals to school. There are probably federal regulations that require experiments performed on animals to be approved by an animal care and use committee. When an institution doesn't have an internal animal care and use committee (as would be the case in a high school) it could be outsourced to a university that does have an iacuc, but this is all of we're talking about doing things "by the book.". I doubt your school cares if they have already given approval.
Also, I know nothing about how this works in Canada.

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe even how surface area effects cycle, pounds of rock being the quantifiable variable.
I'd try to normalize this: use x number of ceramic bio ball things and use the same number in each. Surface area of a complex shape like a rock is way too hard to measure.

Uzidaisies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd try to normalize this: use x number of ceramic bio ball things and use the same number in each. Surface area of a complex shape like a rock is way too hard to measure.
I thought about how the actual surface area would be impossible to measure, but instead of thinking of a solution I went with a shortcut.

OP
OP
|Tom the Bomb|

|Tom the Bomb|

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright thanks for all the inputs, anyone else have any other ideas? If not Ill go with either spectrum or the nitrogen cycle one that y’all have suggested.

if I end up doing the spectrum one
looks like the Seneye can measure spectrum and par which is nice
But uh how should I go about executing it, should I get like a 33 long and split it up?

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright thanks for all the inputs, anyone else have any other ideas? If not Ill go with either spectrum or the nitrogen cycle one that y’all have suggested.

if I end up doing the spectrum one
looks like the Seneye can measure spectrum and par which is nice
But uh how should I go about executing it, should I get like a 33 long and split it up?
You could always do something around macro algae and growth rates depending on the available food.

Nitrate and phosphate of different levels

dosing straight ammonia for another

Cheap to do and could be easily controlled.

OP
OP
|Tom the Bomb|

|Tom the Bomb|

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could always do something around macro algae and growth rates depending on the available food.

Nitrate and phosphate of different levels

dosing straight ammonia for another

Cheap to do and could be easily controlled.
Dang why haven’t I thought of that, basically a simpler version of doing it with corals

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 37 59.7%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 16 25.8%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 8.1%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 1.6%
Back