ReefShark Reef jar build

ReefSharkBuilder

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone! So I may be crazy, but I am setting up a 3 gallon reef jar. I have included an image of the container. I will be using. I need suggestions on how to ensure that the salt doesn't eat through the seal on the spicket at the bottom. I am making it as low tech as possible. It won't be easy. But it is going to be super cool when I'm done. I plan on making it an sps dominant tank.
I am looking at stocking it with some acros' and possibly some lords. And maybe a chalice.
For fish I was thinking about a pair of spike in gobies.
Let me know what you all think!
20180710_234223.jpeg

WV Reefer

I do what I want!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone! So I may be crazy, but I am setting up a 3 gallon reef jar. I have included an image of the container. I will be using. I need suggestions on how to ensure that the salt doesn't eat through the seal on the spicket at the bottom. I am making it as low tech as possible. It won't be easy. But it is going to be super cool when I'm done. I plan on making it an sps dominant tank.
I am looking at stocking it with some acros' and possibly some lords. And maybe a chalice.
For fish I was thinking about a pair of spike in gobies.
Let me know what you all think!
20180710_234223.jpeg

Good luck! :)

I’ve seen lots of jar reefs and that one is certainly unique.

cameronh

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya it is going to be an interesting build. It is 4 months in the making so far
You know.......I've been wanting to do this for about two years now.
You have inspired me to do it now.
I'll be tagging along with you on this and I'll start mine soon and maybe we can help each other out lol.
And welcome to reef2reef haha.
As far as salt eating that spicket you could get som aquarium sealant and put over it on the inside and smooth it out with a squeegee and let it cure for 24 hours so that the salt cant get to it at all.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ReefSharkBuilder

ReefSharkBuilder

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know.......I've been wanting to do this for about two years now.
You have inspired me to do it now.
I'll be tagging along with you on this and I'll start mine soon and maybe we can help each other out lol.
And welcome to reef2reef haha.
As far as salt eating that spicket you could get som aquarium sealant and put over it on the inside and smooth it out with a squeegee and let it cure for 24 hours so that the salt cant get to it at all.
That's awesome! I'm working on getting the lid together now. Eventually I will be posting YouTube videos about it.

OP
OP
ReefSharkBuilder

ReefSharkBuilder

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just finished drilling the lid. I will have 3 lines going in and one coming out. 1-air line for circulation 2- ato line (with a small amount of kalkwasser for PH and corals) 3- in line for automated water change 4- line out for automated water change.

The large hole is for feeding with a special syringe. That way I can reduce contaminants and there is always a fresh supply of O2 and it allows me to have direct access to the hard acrylic lines inside the tank.
20180712_120954.jpeg
20180712_120949.jpeg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oh man I hope you're super successful! Love these jar reefs!

OP
OP
ReefSharkBuilder

ReefSharkBuilder

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my first attempt at bending the hard acrylic lines for inside the tank. I was using my wife's hairdryer and accidentally burned it out. So I made a quick run to Walmart to purchase a new one for her.... now I need to find a heat gun.
20180712_154422.jpeg

OP
OP
ReefSharkBuilder

ReefSharkBuilder

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So in light of burning out my wife's hairdryer, I went to my local makerspace. They have just about everything I need to keep this project going. Including a heat gun. So today I spent some time bending the acrylic tubing for the outside lines on the pico reefjar.
It was a difficult learning process. But it was well worth it. I was able to fit the ends of each line with an airline straight connection so that normal flexible tubing can be added later. I also sealed each of these with the specialty glue you see depicted. It made them water tight.
I also was able to build a small bracket for the optical sensor and ATO line. This was a huge plus for me. And it kind of came as a momentary apiffany as to how to build it. I don't have a picture now but I will in the future. The next bit will be working on the hard lines inside the jar.
20180718_141404.jpeg
20180718_141409.jpeg
20180718_142048.jpeg
20180718_144716.jpeg
20180718_161917.jpeg

Redleg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would remove the spigot and replace it with a regular bulkhead if possible. Then you can either just put in a plug or maybe a ball valve so you can still use it as a drain.

OP
OP
ReefSharkBuilder

ReefSharkBuilder

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would remove the spigot and replace it with a regular bulkhead if possible. Then you can either just put in a plug or maybe a ball valve so you can still use it as a drain.
I have an automatic waterchange system to drain it. So it would just be a plug. I think that is probably a good idea. I just need to find one that will work on curved glass.

OP
OP
ReefSharkBuilder

ReefSharkBuilder

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So in light of burning out my wife's hairdryer, I went to my local makerspace. They have just about everything I need to keep this project going. Including a heat gun. So today I spent some time bending the acrylic tubing for the outside lines on the pico reefjar.
It was a difficult learning process. But it was well worth it. I was able to fit the ends of each line with an airline straight connection so that normal flexible tubing can be added later. I also sealed each of these with the specialty glue you see depicted. It made them water tight.
I also was able to build a small bracket for the optical sensor and ATO line. This was a huge plus for me. And it kind of came as a momentary apiffany as to how to build it. I don't have a picture now but I will in the future. The next bit will be working on the hard lines inside the jar.
20180718_141404.jpeg
20180718_141409.jpeg
20180718_142048.jpeg
20180718_144716.jpeg
20180718_161917.jpeg
Hahahaha, I don't know about commercially. But that would be super cool

LadyMac

Freshwater sage fish whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lovely little jar. If you’re sealing that hole perhaps you can find a way to hide the bulkhead with the spigot just for looks, cause I think it would add to the aesthetic of the build.

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Random question: where did you get those John guest bulk heads? I was looking for those at HD and couldn’t find them. Same for the rigid tube too :)

Finally, I’m jealous you’re near a makerspace. The closest one is 90 minutes from me :(

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 58.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 23 28.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back