Remote Neptune Substation

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my AWC and mixing station about 60’ from my house. The run is essentially flat but is long. I have a series of 1/4 water lines run for AWC in/out and ATO run + a 24v relay for my ATO pump. The AWC change DOS pumps are under the tank and they’re loud and I’m running out of room. I’d like to create a second station in my garage- maybe with an energy bar? I’d like to add a salinity probe, the AWC DOS pumps, some FMM modules, etc out here.

1link cables can only go 20’ apparently. Does active USB-A work? Any suggestions are helpful.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have my AWC and mixing station about 60’ from my house. The run is essentially flat but is long. I have a series of 1/4 water lines run for AWC in/out and ATO run + a 24v relay for my ATO pump. The AWC change DOS pumps are under the tank and they’re loud and I’m running out of room. I’d like to create a second station in my garage- maybe with an energy bar? I’d like to add a salinity probe, the AWC DOS pumps, some FMM modules, etc out here.

1link cables can only go 20’ apparently. Does active USB-A work? Any suggestions are helpful.
Not sure about 'active USB-A' - there are debates yes and no about whether you can use standard USB cables - there was a recent thread with a similar question on another thread here. The upshot was I believe that some had concerns about the warranty if you use USB-a standard cables. But - Neptune offers a 30 foot cable and extension cables - and the total length can go up to 200 feet. The one caveat (according to Neptune) - is you not create a loop in your aquabus system

Kershaw

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use normal male male usb cables with out issue. I don’t have anything that long running. But you can try one of these. I use a 25’ for VR

Attachments

• A9B2FE15-0669-4867-9769-9C7546DB6AB3.png
    A9B2FE15-0669-4867-9769-9C7546DB6AB3.png
    412 KB · Views: 30

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use normal male male usb cables with out issue. I don’t have anything that long running. But you can try one of these. I use a 25’ for VR
Just so you're aware, official USB cables longer than 5 meters are required to include a repeater device. These repeaters operate on 5v and are incompatible with the Apex which sends 12v through the cable. That's the reason places like USBFireWire.com manufactures long cables specifically for the Apex. While the connectors are still USB, the cable does not conform to the official USB Specification and would not work for traditional USB devices like computers, printers, hard drives, etc. But they're fine for the Apex.

OP
OP
S

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for this clarification. I’m no stranger to USB extensions but didn’t understand how the Apex used the line. Im going to order from USBfirewire I just need to quadruple check my measurements.

_AV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another word of warning is about running power over a USB/Aquabus cable of such length, especially with FMM modules involved. I suggest checking and double checking that there will not be a circumstance where power off of EB832 or FMM modules is transferred over the aquabus cable as this will put serious stress on the 12v circuit within those modules and will cause them fail prematurely.

I discuss these issues here:

and here:

Ideally, you'd want to completely isolate the 12v Vcc line on the aquabus cable and find a way to power your clusters of modules independently.

OP
OP
S

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 fmm modules but I’m away from my fish tank and can’t remember how they plug in. I was thinking I would just run the USB out to my garage where I would have a power bar. I have an extra old style black one laying around but I may buy an 832 if necessary. Couldn’t I just use those ports, which has an independent power source, to power FMM modules and DOS pumps remotely?

_AV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could. The problem is that if/when your main power source fails at location A, the independently powered FMM at location B is forced to power everything over the long usb cable at location A, which it can't do longer than a few minutes.

_AV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got ya. So USB from EB832 to EB832 should be fine.
Not entirely, but certainly better than to FMM. Again, don't overload the EB832 AquaBus power and do hope that the other EB832 will not fail/disconnect. Read up about the issue here:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 102 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back