Restarting my tank

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
because of vermitids, I now have plating monti's that are growing branches like sps/the verm tube gives new substrate for the anterling of formerly flat monti

and they grow up though my favia, which then creeps up the verm tube to create a projection growth just the same. they're not that bad in my opinion. I know of no known way to actually beat them across 10 reefs, they're that suited to where corals belong. I know of some luck runs posted, nothing in pattern.

post a pic of this tank's rock Ill post back a matching job we did before and after on the rip clean approach. keeps your same rock, does not use bottle bacteria, is surgical takedown cleaning + reassembly as skip cycle your current setup.

we kick out the aiptasia, and algae, rinse out cloudy waste-filled sand, you'll be keeping the verms lol but will have a shiny new looking reef all off your current rock. avoiding this work practice ability simply means start overs will be required bi annually.
You talking about something like this lol I get them in acropora in fact these are "acropora vermited frags" I just broke off the tube playing around lol

Attachments

• 20220904_130750.jpg
    20220904_130750.jpg
    246.7 KB · Views: 43
  • 20220904_131109.jpg
    20220904_131109.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 43
  • 20220904_131116.jpg
    20220904_131116.jpg
    171 KB · Views: 48
  • 20220904_131120.jpg
    20220904_131120.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 38
  • 20220904_131123.jpg
    20220904_131123.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 48

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm shocked aiptasia are as hard to control for the masses, they're quite easy to control but the injections/gluing and animals-in-response still holds out as the top control method (which doesn't work for the masses it works for the lucky)

Why aiptasia has never been an issue for me, and isn't an issue in most pico reefs if we search the million threads on them: pico reefers aren't frozen in fear like large tankers are/it's due to training.

large reefers who buy a rock or a frag and get an aiptasia are literally trained to sit right there and watch them divide, only permitted incremental actions with ultimate fear understanding that one wrong move and you have 20 aiptasias

so they glue, boil, inject, buy, and the divisions never stop and the numbers increase or the keeper just sits there doing nothing the entire time (the sum takeaway from all aiptasia help threads in forums)

but if a pico reefer had an aiptasia on the side of their main rock stack, they'd go get wirecutters and simply cut that attachment point right off/the rock has a small scar on it now but no anemone tissue/ and 1 aiptasia was just eliminated permanently free, without hesitation.

I've seen pico reefers who weren't playing around shove a flathead screw driver into a recessed aiptasia in a rock hole, bore out about an inch up under and all around that anemone via sheer force of will, (real live rock is not that hard to score with steel tools) rinse out the divot, and have no aiptasias in that spot ever again.

The hardest part about aiptasia controls is getting the large tank owner to simply act on aip #1, they'll sit right there and watch it divide with no end in sight. when we can prompt them to lift out a rock, set on the counter, do mansurgery on it, aiptasias are gone in one pass. they're a non issue for pico reefers bc we don't permit them. I will shank an aiptasia into compliance.
I don't think that is a tank size issue, rather a philosophy issue. I have done, and know others, all the stuff you mention and more to dal with aips. I have seen folks with small reef tanks take all the inaction you mention.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think that is a tank size issue, rather a philosophy issue. I have done, and know others, all the stuff you mention and more to dal with aips. I have seen folks with small reef tanks take all the inaction you mention.
Nice tank you got there too, she a beauty :)

Smoke-Town

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This little bedroom tank that gets neglected because it's upstairs and I'm lazy ended up with a bunch of aiptasia and these 2 little file fish, especially the dark one, made short work of them. Still a couple larger ones that need to be aiptasia X'd are in there but they don't spread afterwards cuz these guys eat the little ones.
20220904_154541.jpg

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mike those are the verm spikes agreed!

even if you were giving me a trojan horse monti frag that secretly contained a verm snail it would be accepted, because I'd really like to have that red color morph nice frags

** in pic 4 to the right, that acro nub, notice 3 bubble algae at the base.

ima need u to take out that frag, get a knife, and whittle that off in one fell swoop like it's cork bark / cut deep/ root out that evil lol. no mithrax crabs, no Vibrant doser, just a knife and some forceful shearing.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mike those are the verm spikes agreed!

even if you were giving me a trojan horse monti frag that secretly contained a verm snail it would be accepted, because I'd really like to have that red color morph nice frags

** in pic 4 to the right, that acro nub, notice 3 bubble algae at the base.

ima need u to take out that frag, get a knife, and whittle that off in one fell swoop like it's cork bark / cut deep/ root out that evil lol. no mithrax crabs, no Vibrant doser, just a knife and some forceful shearing.

Hey you can't have a vermited and asterina infestation with out a little bubble algae from time to time lol, I drawn the line at aiptasia :) trojan horse frag hahaha that's funny I think the vermited is dead by now its completely covered over and I wouldn't do that2 anyone, but that's hilarious;)

OfficeReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the rocks I'm thinking about cycling in a brute trash can for some time with added bacteria. But I can't find a good one (that can be delivered in Europe) Fritz, Dr.tims, instant ocean and microbacter can't be bought here.
Not even the Red Sea version?

OP
OP
Misha

Misha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why is it that asking for pattern threads I can read to show a claim in action is like pulling teeth, folks get all bent out of shape. At least I take time to test and log my crazy claims.

If no such thread exists for outbound cures for verms we can read here as a link just say that Spare time.

Mischa it's your tank start over if you like. Notes from the field are handy though, this wasn't made up advice.
Thank you very much Brandon. I think I will try to get rid of the algae and aiptasia and try to reduce the verms. Can I contact you in private about this?

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you mean you can't get frags free of that? That's just not true. You can also prevent them from entering the tank even if they come from a tank with plenty of them. For reference have 0 vermatids and aiptasia in my tank.
100% agree

I also have no vermadits or aiptasia

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can attest to the bumblebee snails. My sps got some vermatids from a frag 6 months ago and they spread fast. Saw the web nets annoying my corals. Added 3 bumblebee snails and a week later... no nets. Just empty tubes
I had the same experience with bumble bee snails as well as Berghia nudibranchs for aptasia.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Misha yes send a message will do. Among the scrolls of tanks we have scraped clean there will be a very close match to yours and we can see how their stuff turned out after the rip clean.

The best part is we dont have to do the full takedown right off the bat, we can work on individual rocks and test run the method before any big commit. Once we get the rocks cleaned up in the ways our example thread will show, final step is rinse out the sandbed to remove 100% of waste and reset the storage capacity for the tank. After reset, you won’t have a cycle, your animals will be fine and you will still need light follow up maintenance / like a garden mentioned / but it will be a fraction of the work needed now. Then over a few months of catching popups the invasions will be guided out, this happens 99% of the time for willing nano reefers. The other 1% we could not fix are why this is an upper echelon hobby. Some outliers will take more creative means than currently available lol

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

there’s rip cleans in six reefs. Same set of moves, different reasons they wanted to rip clean. After pics avail, tank owners can be sent messages to chart outcomes long term

at least that above shows some common presentations. For the aiptasias we can cut them right out or off depending on how they present in the pics

these deep cleans are just a free reset for pent up waste and for attachments we don’t want, they won’t prevent future challenges

By removing biomass vs killing it/ starving it and rotting targets within a tank, we prevent chemical souping. We knock out offending biomass in one day to the tune of 99% reduction, this gives an ability to now apply common control methods in the clean condition, as preventatives

most other treatment plans have you leaving the tank wrecked and working via the water indirectly. We r so opposite of that.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Misha yes send a message will do. Among the scrolls of tanks we have scraped clean there will be a very close match to yours and we can see how their stuff turned out after the rip clean.

The best part is we dont have to do the full takedown right off the bat, we can work on individual rocks and test run the method before any big commit. Once we get the rocks cleaned up in the ways our example thread will show, final step is rinse out the sandbed to remove 100% of waste and reset the storage capacity for the tank. After reset, you won’t have a cycle, your animals will be fine and you will still need light follow up maintenance / like a garden mentioned / but it will be a fraction of the work needed now. Then over a few months of catching popups the invasions will be guided out, this happens 99% of the time for willing nano reefers. The other 1% we could not fix are why this is an upper echelon hobby. Some outliers will take more creative means than currently available lol
Ah ;

OP
OP
Misha

Misha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sounds like a good plan to me, I'll message you tomorrow when I have time to type down the story and make some more pictures for you.

OP
OP
Misha

Misha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah ;
Thanks for mentioning. Here is another picture after letting it sit for a while
IMG20220903115007.jpg

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 12 27.3%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 18 40.9%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 9 20.5%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 4 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.3%
Back