RODI unit DI issue

OrangeFaucett10

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m running two carbon, one paper, one membrane, and one DI canister. I just replaced everything as I’ve recently moved and I’m on well water. I bought a higher quality membrane and it’s typically 5 ppm before hitting the DI. Based on what I read it sounds like that’s on the money.

Problem Is I’m burning through the DI at a drastic rate (the DI resin is slightly older). Is it normal that the container doesn’t fill with water? I see the water running down one side of the DI container and never really filling up not sure why my TDS is 2 with the final product. Any help would be awesome

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could be you did not pack the resin in tight is why its not removing all the tds.
Well water usually has a lot of Co2. This will burn thru resin like no tomorrow.
As for :
see the water running down one side of the DI container and never really filling
You can let the air out by unscrewing the canister a bit, while on, to let the air out. Then tighten back up before it drips all over the place.
This does not effect the peformance. The water is still forced thru the resin inside the cartridge.

OP
OP
O

OrangeFaucett10

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could be you did not pack the resin in tight is why its not removing all the tds.
Well water usually has a lot of Co2. This will burn thru resin like no tomorrow.
As for :

You can let the air out by unscrewing the canister a bit, while on, to let the air out. Then tighten back up before it drips all over the place.
This does not effect the peformance. The water is still forced thru the resin inside the cartridge.

Thanks for the quick response. When I was on city water I didn’t have issues with TDS, but my tank is mainly SPS so I’m nervous to dump in that 2ppm.

is there anyway around the CO2 issue with wells? Reasons not exactly cheap

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Search: co2, well water, resin

Pasted from another thread :

"Before you give up let me give you another option.
I am also on a well, for the last 20 years a resin refill was necessary after every 55 gallons. No booster pump in the setup, I run the pressure tank from 34(low) to 50(Hi). Just a couple months ago I decided to try harder. I separated the DI cartridge from the rest of the RO system. I ran the RO directly into a 55 gallon drum and let it sit with some random periods of aeration for 24 hours. The I used an ATO lift pump to pump out of the RO drum , through the DI cartridge and into a second drum. I filled the second drum and didnt see more than 3/4" of color change at the bottom of the cartridge. Apparently the CO2 in my well water was eating up the resin. Then I kicked myself for not trying it sooner.
I cant say you will have the same success, but its worth a try."

Back