Rookie seeking help

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, I'm so sorry you have found yourself in this position. Hopefully we can get you back on the right path.

KJ provided you great information on the nitrogen cycle which is where we really need to start when it comes to getting your tank healthy.
The single most important filter in your aquarium is your rock. In order for the rock to do its job you need to have a good amount of flow through the tank. Do you have any powerheads in your system? Can you post a picture of your system once it clears up so we can see your layout? Since you still have ammonia issues I'm guessing you either don't have enough flow in your system.

You can run a successful marine aquarium with nothing more than powerheads, heaters, lights and regular water changes. Having a skimmer is a big help but not required. You have one, so that is good. You don't need a canister filter or an HOB filter. The only reason to use either of them is if you need to run some type of filter media or for mechanical filtration. I would consider replacing your HOB filter a very low priority.

And yes, a bacteria bloom can cause very low oxygen levels and cause a die off in the tank. The fact that you were blowing water through the live rock and caused another bloom really makes me question if you have enough flow.

BrettMallette

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you have for flow in your tank? My guess is old tank syndrome at this point even though tank isnt that old. There must be a good chunk of detritus built up in your rockwork and sand if you say you had a massive bloom after basting the rocks after youd removed the hermitm

BrettMallette

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, I'm so sorry you have found yourself in this position. Hopefully we can get you back on the right path.

KJ provided you great information on the nitrogen cycle which is where we really need to start when it comes to getting your tank healthy.
The single most important filter in your aquarium is your rock. In order for the rock to do its job you need to have a good amount of flow through the tank. Do you have any powerheads in your system? Can you post a picture of your system once it clears up so we can see your layout? Since you still have ammonia issues I'm guessing you either don't have enough flow in your system.

You can run a successful marine aquarium with nothing more than powerheads, heaters, lights and regular water changes. Having a skimmer is a big help but not required. You have one, so that is good. You don't need a canister filter or an HOB filter. The only reason to use either of them is if you need to run some type of filter media or for mechanical filtration. I would consider replacing your HOB filter a very low priority.

And yes, a bacteria bloom can cause very low oxygen levels and cause a die off in the tank. The fact that you were blowing water through the live rock and caused another bloom really makes me question if you have enough flow.
Hadnt read your comment before posting @Brew12 i agree with you entirely. Seems like a lack of flow. Especially if only thing making water move is the HOB there will b deadspots everywhere in a 70.

OP
OP
RJS2515

RJS2515

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have a smaller powerhead that I am sure is not enough now plus its in the 20 gal where the eels, birdsnest and flower pot are for now since i figured the corals would need some flow. any suggestions on powerheads for a 70 gal? knowing how crucial they are now I will get one tonight if i can find one. Also I will post pics and parameters in the next few days when it clears up hopefully. Again, I really appreciate all the help

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a smaller powerhead that I am sure is not enough now plus its in the 20 gal where the eels birdsnest and flower pot are for now since i figured the corals would need some flow. any suggestions on powerheads for a 70 gal? knowing how crucial they are now I will get one tonight if i can find one. Also I will post pics and parameters in the next few days when it clears up hopefully. Again, I really appreciate all the help
What are the dimensions of your particular tank?

BrettMallette

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a smaller powerhead that I am sure is not enough now plus its in the 20 gal where the eels, birdsnest and flower pot are for now since i figured the corals would need some flow. any suggestions on powerheads for a 70 gal? knowing how crucial they are now I will get one tonight if i can find one. Also I will post pics and parameters in the next few days when it clears up hopefully. Again, I really appreciate all the help
Depending on what you are wanting to spend i like my jebaos. People love the vortechs but they r more expensive. And you want at least 10x turnover for now. Up to 40x turnover later on if you plan to pack your tank with sps. So at least 700+ gph for now

OP
OP
RJS2515

RJS2515

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on what you are wanting to spend i like my jebaos. People love the vortechs but they r more expensive. And you want at least 10x turnover for now. Up to 40x turnover later on if you plan to pack your tank with sps. So at least 700+ gph for now
Thanks! I hope i can find something, if not i can always order online

BrettMallette

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I hope i can find something, if not i can always order online
I run a PP8 and a sw2 cranked up to max on my 55 with no sandbed. And could probably use more flow since i still have detritus build up in my liverock in spots.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2feet by 18 inches I believe, i dont remember how tall but i will measure it after work
24" x 18" would be a very tall tank if it was actually 70g.

I would start with 2 smaller powerheads if those dimensions are correct. If the tank is actually 3ft by 18" then 2 medium pumps would work fine. The ones you have linked would work well.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry guys I means 4feet by 18 inches
Ok, that makes even more sense. The pumps you linked will be a great start if you put one on each side. Well into the future you may find yourself needing to add a small pump or two on the back wall to increase flow in the middle.

MamaLovesHerReefTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't impulse buy. If you see a fish you like, research it before buying. If it's not there when you go back, you weren't meant to have it at this time. Don't believe everything an LFS tells you. We're lucky we have 3 to choose from. One is great for livestock and corals, can be a little pricey at times. Another is great for advice and purchasing of equipment. If we don't need it, he'll tell us (integrity before sales). The last one, we stopped going to altogether. They'll lie through their teeth to make a sale. Ask questions on this forum. Read all the replies. You will usually be able to figure out who is giving you correct advice and information. Good luck, I wish you a ton of success in this hobby we love.

OP
OP
RJS2515

RJS2515

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks again to everyone for the help!
I have a little update, The bacterial bloom is completely gone and the water is very clear but the parameters are bad.
As of this morning; Ammonia 8.0ppm, PH 8.0, Nitrite >5.0 ppm, Nitrate 10 ppm, Phosphates 0.2, Alkalinity 10 meq/L.
these are after doing a 25% water change last night with RO DI water.
What now? do i just need to wait it out for the ammonia to drop? how often should i test?
Thanks!

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks again to everyone for the help!
I have a little update, The bacterial bloom is completely gone and the water is very clear but the parameters are bad.
As of this morning; Ammonia 8.0ppm, PH 8.0, Nitrite >5.0 ppm, Nitrate 10 ppm, Phosphates 0.2, Alkalinity 10 meq/L.
these are after doing a 25% water change last night with RO DI water.
What now? do i just need to wait it out for the ammonia to drop? how often should i test?
Thanks!
Probably not what you want to here but your ammonia being that high can slow down your cycle. I would get a bottle of nitrifying bacteria, like BioSpira. I would then do another water change and add the bacteria immediately after.
I wouldn't bother testing pH, Alk, or Phosphates at all right now. Those can wait until your cycle is done. I would test ammonia, nitrite, and nitrates every 2 or 3 days right now. When ammonia starts getting regularly low you can test for those 3 daily.

OP
OP
RJS2515

RJS2515

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably not what you want to here but your ammonia being that high can slow down your cycle. I would get a bottle of nitrifying bacteria, like BioSpira. I would then do another water change and add the bacteria immediately after.
I wouldn't bother testing pH, Alk, or Phosphates at all right now. Those can wait until your cycle is done. I would test ammonia, nitrite, and nitrates every 2 or 3 days right now. When ammonia starts getting regularly low you can test for those 3 daily.

Will do. I'll do that as soon as I get off work and hopefully my cycle wont be slowed down by too much. Any other advice or things I should be doing in the mean time? Or is it just time to play the waiting game?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 17.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 5 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 24 60.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 5.0%
Back