Should Bulk Reef Supply Resurrect ReefKeeper?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Should Bulk Reef Supply work to resurrect a Reefkeeper-like low cost controller

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
OP
OP
Richard Hercher

Richard Hercher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are great for my reef

Kasa Smart WiFi Power Strip by TP-Link - 6 Outlet Surge Protection, Works with Alexa Echo & GoogleG95FFN3/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_qsaBCb0A16EC6
I use an iDevice plug with a strip plugged in to turn off the pumps and heaters when I’m doing feedings and water changes. It even keeps track of power usage. But it can’t tell me what the tank parameters are, or do any maintenance on the tank (shut off heaters when the tank gets warm, dose, alert me if things are out of wack, etc)

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I dont particularly care for reefkeeper but healthy competition never hurt anyone.

JDowns

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DA always put out solid hardware. Their short comings came in migrating to a platform with a solid UI. They should release a network module (ethernet / WiFi) with a set of client side API's and let the community develop the UI. I would venture a guess that you would see competing UI's in short order and DA filling a pretty big void in the low to mid market controller area.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
DA always put out solid hardware. Their short comings came in migrating to a platform with a solid UI. They should release a network module (ethernet / WiFi) with a set of client side API's and let the community develop the UI. I would venture a guess that you would see competing UI's in short order and DA filling a pretty big void in the low to mid market controller area.

That's a good idea.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
NO - what is it.? Unless there is an advantage to their product - vs the current available ones - why?

ReefTeacher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe they went out of business because the product was too low priced? Sometimes we only consider immediate costs and not the cost of development, distribution, marketing and support. Often the consumer does not realize how much it costs to bring a product to market and then keep it there.

Z3speed4me

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not everyone needs EVERYTHING the apex offers for their main tanks, or all of their secondary tanks for that matter. A controller for 150-250 would get a lot of attention and volume if it just worked.

Personally both of my apex units are second hand, and were a steal. I don’t care about the new new new one that for my needs doesn’t offer anything special I’d use.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Maybe they went out of business because the product was too low priced? Sometimes we only consider immediate costs and not the cost of development, distribution, marketing and support. Often the consumer does not realize how much it costs to bring a product to market and then keep it there.

No, pretty much knowledge why they went out of business, it was not a mystery..

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
With a low number of available controllers out there and with reefKeeper being a dependable and easy to set up unit- It would be a winner. I cant count the number of disappointed people when the doors closed.
ReefKeeper was known for affordability. Question is: would the price stricter remain or would we see the $500-700 units which seems to be the industry price standard?

Reafer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is common knowledge why the failed..
People are saying well maybe they failed because of this and that and it isn't true.
Why, poor customer service? I would just get a used Aqua Controller/Apex if I were budget strapped. I think there would definitely be a marked for a Reefkepper priced controller though, if someone can offer decent service.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dynon Instruments did not go out of busniess. They just quit making the Digital Aquatics products to concentrate on their aviation products. I wish they would allow someone to pick it back up. The problem is that the manufacturing was done with Dynon facilities. That will not be available to anyone that wants to pick up the name.

OP
OP
Richard Hercher

Richard Hercher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dynon Instruments did not go out of busniess. They just quit making the Digital Aquatics products to concentrate on their aviation products. I wish they would allow someone to pick it back up. The problem is that the manufacturing was done with Dynon facilities. That will not be available to anyone that wants to pick up the name.
Interesting! So, nothing STOPPING anyone from licensing the brand/technical specs/manufacturing processes,it’s a question of willingness on parties to negotiate an equitable arrangement and find a manufacturing solution. That’s not a turn key solution by any means, but that doesn’t scream “locked door” either.

Reafer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nobody said
Nobody said anything about Dynon Instruments. They don't make the product and stopped all support for their products, regardless of what you're calling the company. https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/reefkeepers-departure-hurts-the-industry.427868/

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Reafer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dynon Instruments is who made the Digital Aquatics line of products. It was not an independent company.
I understand this, but what do you call it when they stop making the product and the Digital Aquatics line of products does no longer exist? They also stopped service on that entire line of products, and the website closed down? Who cares who made the product.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 47.5%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 42 52.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 16 20.0%
  • None.

Votes: 21 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.0%
Back