Votes: 14 9.1%

• Total voters

Peach02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive been looking to improve my 30 Gallon mixed reef recently and I've come across lots of people recommending carbon and lots of people saying it slows or stops coral growth.

Do you run carbon and if so did it effect your coral growth and do you use a reactor or a sock, whats the difference between activated and normal carbon.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been running GAC and changing it every 4-5 days for a couple of months because of toxins associated with dinos. No negative effects that I've seen. Interested to hear why it's thought to prevent coral growth. Removing micronutrients from the water?

OP
OP
Peach02

Peach02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run GAC through a reactor 24/7 on my 125 primarily because I have a sea apple and if there's an issue with it I want to be prepared. I'm sure that activated carbon does leach some primary and trace elements, but I dose Red Sea Trace elements (I have a lot of large coral colonies). I only change it out at every water change, which right now is about every 3 weeks. Water clarity does seem to be better with the GAC, and I think I don't get as much film algae on the glass. As far as the corals go, they are doing great, but then again I'm dosing trace elements and autodosing the main elements. It really depends on your system and what you're trying to achieve. There are a few types of carbon you can use, but granulated activated carbon (GAC) is by far the best. I use BRS ROX 0.8 carbon. If your system is younger, you might try putting a bag of GAC in a high flow portion of your sump.

GatorScott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran carbon for the longest time but pulled it because I was lazy and didn’t want to change it. And the tank reacted so well that I never added it back. Been running carbon free for roughly 7/8 months

GatorScott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll add too that my nitrates stay at 3-5ppm. If I had algae every where and a huge nitrate spike I wouldn’t hesitate to add a bag a carbon to help reduce it.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the acute issues that you are trying to solve? Granular Carbon can solve some problems, will do nothing for others and I suppose that it could make a small few problems worse.

Activated carbon is the same as normal carbon. Either can be used passively (in a sock just tossed into a sump) or actively in a reactor/canister with water being forced through it. I would only run it actively, IMO.

OP
OP
Peach02

Peach02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the acute issues that you are trying to solve? Granular Carbon can solve some problems, will do nothing for others and I suppose that it could make a small few problems worse.

Activated carbon is the same as normal carbon. Either can be used passively (in a sock just tossed into a sump) or actively in a reactor/canister with water being forced through it. I would only run it actively, IMO.
Main issue is cloudy water after water change and algae growth

EW_Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know a lot of people that do run it only run it maybe 1 week out of the month. I only run it if I run into any problems.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I recommend chemiPure blue. Best stuff for your system in the way of carbon

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run it after my UV in a DIY container (PVC coupling+mesh screen+poly floss), I don't think it does much of anything just sitting in a bag in the sump, it's best if water is flowing through it IMO

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Yes, carbon should be in the path of water flow

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend running activated carbon as it removes unwanted organic pollutants from the system. Infact I can’t see any reason not to in a reef tank.

I just have mine in filter bags in the sump were all the water passes over, but you can of course run it in a reactor but only at a slow tumble otherwise it may break down.

I don’t think this will solve the algae growth problem but may help with water clarity depending on what’s causing it

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a tool to help water quality. Just like anything else, just needs to be used correctly....if used incorrectly it can cause problems just like anything else. I run it 24X7 in a reactor in small amounts, changing it frequently.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Unless you are medicating your tank- ALWAYS run carbon and I recommend BRS or chemipure Blue.

1566225122594.png

HaloPhenom27

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive been looking to improve my 30 Gallon mixed reef recently and I've come across lots of people recommending carbon and lots of people saying it slows or stops coral growth.

Do you run carbon and if so did it effect your coral growth and do you use a reactor or a sock, whats the difference between activated and normal carbon.
It is important to understand that carbon is only good for 3-5 days and then must be changed out or it will leach everything it has sucked up, back into the water.

I run it through a reactor as that is the most effective way to run carbon. And not all carbon is created equal so make sure you get a high grade activated carbon. I personally would not run a tank without it and my corals are as healthy as can be with amazing growth.

If you are going to run it passively then I would recommend Chemi-Pure Blue.

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use CPB, and have done so for a few years.
I like that it helps to keep my water clear, without yellowing, and my organics relatively low (as confirmed by N-DOC test.)
I use multiple small bags in a reactor, and only change out a small quantity once a month.
Even so, I have experienced issues with chaeto and some corals that seem to occur shortly after adding fresh CPB.
Hard to prove, but I'm planning to use even smaller quantities at a time in the future.
Also, GAC particles are a major suspect in development of HLLE in tangs and other fish.
Most GAC nowadays, including CPB, is very low dust, but still a good idea to rinse well before use.

jhatfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see a reason not to run carbon. It's the only thing in this hobby that is simultaneously cheap, easy and effective. Worst case, it does nothing to an already clean or low stocked tank. Pretty much the only thing I run in my tank that I cannot test for directly other than observing the water yellowing a bit when I need new carbon.

Back