OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Simon, amazing display! Thanks for documenting it!

What are the dimensions of your 450?

Thx! It is 96" long, 36" front to back and 30" tall. Based on internal dimensions, holds 400 gallons of water before displacement by sand/rock/etc. Would have gone 120" long if I could, but the room wasn't cooperative.

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8167B52D-BAE7-493B-BCDA-AD9DEEC141A5.jpeg
B9A25013-7AF0-4E0F-8843-13F2D29F02DE.jpeg
Awaiting delivery of a 110 add on tank .... though the tank builders making me nervous. Hope he’s not a flake. Built the hood, set up the lights and ran the plumbing. Few fish in the frag tank in desperate need of more space and some done with QT. All dressed up with nowhere to go LOL.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Drain and return lines are underneath the floor in an area open to the elements. Was initially worried about how to prevent any freeze ups, but after some further thought, probably not an issue. Even if the system were to fail during the Winter, all lines will purge anyhow so no standing water to freeze. I have a whole house genny, so powers not out for more than a few seconds, and I’m using a decades reliable PanWorld pump ..... have never had one fail on me.

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Came within a whisker (or 1/10 th of a degree F) of the chiller engaging today. Don’t recall ever having it trigger this early ..... I guess it still hasn’t.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went with a different builder this time because, well mostly just because. This tank has the weir slots cut directly into the back panel. Seems like a good way to go. Cannot see any disadvantages, but I guess I shall find out once the tank is filled.

Stand wasn’t built as a fish tank stand, but I made it myself and am a charter member of overbuilders anonymous, so a few extra struts here and there ought to suffice (famous last words :)). Mostly it’s a 3/4” plywood box - better than many commercial stands. Plus the tank is only 110 gallons. Teeny little thing.

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Indeed! I’m going with an extremely minimalist aquascape this time. Grown tired of crowded/choked tanks. More than in the above picture .... but not a lot more. Also going to prioritize softies and zoas, so no angels. Fish I already have that are ticketed for this tank include a long nose black tang, Achilles tang, small convict tang, a trio of female lyretail anthias, a pair of clowns and a male moyers wrasse.

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's only been a couple of days, but I think I will never again buy a tank that doesn't have an integrated C2C/semi C2C overflow. Awesome to not have the internal skim box and whisper quiet. Bell siphon as secondary works like a charm.

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gosh, it’s been a while since I did an update. Haven’t been on R2R all that much over the last 9 months. Haven’t lost interest, but definitely had other priorities. 2021 was a tough year for the tank. The denitrator I installed traded high nitrates for high sulfates. Not 100% sure that’s the reason, but a number of the large colonies I had have experienced partial or complete die off. May also be that the tank is overgrown and really needs a major re-scape ….. something I’ve just not had the motivation to do.

High sulfates have certainly not affected my long tenured magnifica anemone that is just HUGE. Almost 30” in diameter. Split dangit!

Local reefer had his tank split a seam. What a mess! So I have all his tangs and a second magnifica. Lights out now, but I will post some pics tomorrow.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 72 38.1%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 63 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back