SkiCat's Dream Build: [Saving The] Planet 180 - The Making Of An Epic Aquacultured Mixed Reef

OP
OP
SkiCatTX

SkiCatTX

Sustainable Reefkeeping
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm starting to get growth in the sump outside the Fuge, even through the white acrylic, so I ordered a foam PVC sheet to cut and insert into the sock and skimmer sections to block the light.

IMG_4377.jpeg

OP
OP
SkiCatTX

SkiCatTX

Sustainable Reefkeeping
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the subject of algae control, the Fluconazole worked for a while but left a lot, which is now regrowing. The fish and inverts are keeping it back on the rocks, but the sand is covered and has to be vacuumed at least once a week or it becomes a lush green lawn.

I decided to get a bottle of Vibrant and put that on a doser and dose 20ml twice a week indefinitely and see if that helps. I haven't had much luck with that on previous tanks, but I'm terrible at dosing regularly by hand, so I missed doses all the time. Maybe that is why it never worked for me.

Nitrate is about 20, but Phosphate has been around 0.04 for several weeks now. I also turned the LED lights down a bit, we'll see if that helps as well.

OP
OP
SkiCatTX

SkiCatTX

Sustainable Reefkeeping
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also decided to add some coralline algae now that the tank is reasonably established. They recommend 1 bottle for each 50 gallons, but at $20 a bottle not knowing if it's even going to work, I figure I'll start small. I got one bottle of each red and purple and added one bottle. I'll wait a couple weeks and add the other. They say it could take months for it to start growing...that's the perfect way to sell snake oil if you ask me, but we'll see...

IMG_4380.jpeg

OP
OP
SkiCatTX

SkiCatTX

Sustainable Reefkeeping
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@SkiCatTX IIRC you used acetone to take off black print on commercial white plumbing? How well did that work? How did you take off the acetone? Is it safe?
Yes, it works great, in seconds, but it does also make the surface a bit dull, so I wouldn't use it on shiny PVC, but it does wonders for the cheap white stuff from the hardware store.

As for chemical issues, I have no idea. I have only ever used it on the OUTSIDE of PVC pipe that was not going into the tank. So, perhaps I have not really tested it IN tank water.

However, acetone does evaporate very quickly when exposed to air, so it dries in seconds. It does leave a bit of a smell, but that seems to wash off easily, so maybe soap and water, followed by air-drying in the sun for a couple days if you want to be extra careful. Basically, the same protocol for soaking equipment in bleach water, as chlorine evaporates as well. Use at your own risk, but I have seen others post about it and not found any issues.

If anyone knows otherwise, I would be interested in a link to some research.

OP
OP
SkiCatTX

SkiCatTX

Sustainable Reefkeeping
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Trident sprung a leak AGAIN. Another one of the tubes came off inside on the star fitting. Same thing happened when I first got it, though that time it just poured tank water...this time it dumped about 1/3 of a bottle of C reagent on the shelf...that stain is permanent...

IMG_4394.jpeg

Figured it was also a good time to do a cleaning of the cuvette while I was washing purple out of the innards...seems to still work just fine after the cleanup...

IMG_4389.jpeg

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Trident sprung a leak AGAIN. Another one of the tubes came off inside on the star fitting. Same thing happened when I first got it, though that time it just poured tank water...this time it dumped about 1/3 of a bottle of C reagent on the shelf...that stain is permanent...

IMG_4394.jpeg

Figured it was also a good time to do a cleaning of the cuvette while I was washing purple out of the innards...seems to still work just fine after the cleanup...

IMG_4389.jpeg
@SkiCatTX do you know what caused the plugging? Plugged sample line?

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow lots to catch up on!!! Glad to see life back in the tank!! I really like the barnacle addition, I'm looking at a full rescape on my tank to try and resolve the same lack of hiding space issue.

I'm surprised you didn't go with a magnet latch type of thing for your doors instead of the handles but they still turned out looking good!

And lastly, twice now with the trident? That's kindof disheartening. Do they have small zip ties on them or something to help prevent that from happening? (I don't own one so not sure how they are built).

OP
OP
SkiCatTX

SkiCatTX

Sustainable Reefkeeping
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@SkiCatTX do you know what caused the plugging? Plugged sample line?
Not plugged, just came off. There is I believe it's silicone tubing connecting various fittings and the single dosing pump and they are quite loose, they just easily pull off with small needle-nose pliers, they're not even barbed. All I can do is just push them back on firmly. They have a bit of yellow tape on some of the tubing along the insides of the device, but those just keep it from moving around, nothing to do with keeping them attached.

I believe just changing the reagents out jostles them around enough to eventually pull off. I am amazed at the super cheap construction of this device, considering how well it works...when it works. You just have to be very careful with it, or you'll break something just looking at it wrong...

OP
OP
SkiCatTX

SkiCatTX

Sustainable Reefkeeping
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow lots to catch up on!!! Glad to see life back in the tank!! I really like the barnacle addition, I'm looking at a full rescape on my tank to try and resolve the same lack of hiding space issue.
Just put them in today after a couple weeks of soaking in RODI and then saltwater just to be sure they're clean. Everyone is terrified of them so far...we'll see how it goes when they get more covered in algae.

I'm surprised you didn't go with a magnet latch type of thing for your doors instead of the handles but they still turned out looking good!
Ultimately, I didn't care, it is just so much easier to just open eh doors normally...

And lastly, twice now with the trident? That's kindof disheartening. Do they have small zip ties on them or something to help prevent that from happening? (I don't own one so not sure how they are built).
No kind of ties at all, just slip on tubing. It's not even possible for me to add them, since the center multi-tap fitting is inset to prevent any chance of adding even the smallest of cable ties to fix the problem.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No kind of ties at all, just slip on tubing. It's not even possible for me to add them, since the center multi-tap fitting is inset to prevent any chance of adding even the smallest of cable ties to fix the problem.

Wow that sounds like an incredibly cheap and poorly thought out design on Neptune's part. Hard to hear that as like you said, when it works, it works well.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also decided to add some coralline algae now that the tank is reasonably established. They recommend 1 bottle for each 50 gallons, but at $20 a bottle not knowing if it's even going to work, I figure I'll start small. I got one bottle of each red and purple and added one bottle. I'll wait a couple weeks and add the other. They say it could take months for it to start growing...that's the perfect way to sell snake oil if you ask me, but we'll see...

IMG_4380.jpeg

Tagging with you on that, Ski

Had complete success with Vibrant knocking out bubble algae, including not seeing a strand of cyano, like others, have reported.

It helped with those dinos up until a certain point, but could not fully destroy those. We'll see... ;Cyclops what you come to.

Anyways:
My regular-sized "The Flipper" magnets really started to lose their hold.
Worn out magnets. So was going to buy the new (floating) Flipper Max, but came across a video that showed it was not built as well as the original Max, inside part, lagged behind the outer part and the blade side is terrible in missing spots across the blade. Jumped online and found the original Max in stock at Premium Aquatics and jumped on it. This original Max Flipper is so nice, glad I watched the video on the new one before all the originals are were gone.

Even Flipper Products shipped that guy the original design.

lol
Just passing it along... :D

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not plugged, just came off. There is I believe it's silicone tubing connecting various fittings and the single dosing pump and they are quite loose, they just easily pull off with small needle-nose pliers, they're not even barbed. All I can do is just push them back on firmly. They have a bit of yellow tape on some of the tubing along the insides of the device, but those just keep it from moving around, nothing to do with keeping them attached.

I believe just changing the reagents out jostles them around enough to eventually pull off. I am amazed at the super cheap construction of this device, considering how well it works...when it works. You just have to be very careful with it, or you'll break something just looking at it wrong...
To be honest @SkiCatTX I would let Neptune know what is happening in this situation. At the least they will make a note of it and be aware of your individual situation or along with other's situations and try to redesign their product in the future. They also might be able to provide some advice for repairs that you may have overlooked.

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm starting to get growth in the sump outside the Fuge, even through the white acrylic, so I ordered a foam PVC sheet to cut and insert into the sock and skimmer sections to block the light.

IMG_4377.jpeg
how thick is that, what was your source?

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really wanted to skip the handles, but it was driving me crazy needing to go get a tool to pry open the doors all the time...so I broke down and installed some 316 marine grade stainless handles.

IMG_4155.jpeg

I think they look OK, not sure if I will put any on the sides though.
looks great to me

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two best buds are back in the display!

IMG_4160.jpeg

Sorry, this was taken with my phone from my office chair across the room...And the lights are turned down today to let everyone get situated.
yay fish! I can't wait for mine to return. Congrats!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back