skimmer plumbing

Garth Schafluetzel

75 gal mixed tank in work
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok i picked up an AP bullet skimmer with an external pump i have an idea on how to set it up but ive never worked with a skimmer this size and whats the best way to get water to my external pump from my sump( undrilled) any advice would be great external pumps iis a whole new world for me

OP
OP
Garth Schafluetzel

Garth Schafluetzel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah yeah phil its easy for you and you lil pink camera lol i guess i need to get me a camera after my lights lol. but any way the guy said i would have to start a siphon to the pump so any idea's on a good way to install i realy dont think i want to tare everything apart to drill a hole and replumb everything around it lol but its a Precision Marine Bullet 2 with an externa pump

oceanparadise1

The Coral Dudes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow thats a 450 dollar skimmer, nice pick up i think some one out there has to know how to plum this come one guys!

OP
OP
Garth Schafluetzel

Garth Schafluetzel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah i got a realy sweet deal on it and i choose to keep that private but a pm was sent and remeber this was for the skimmer(with Gen-X pump) the only difference is it has a defferint becket houseing. and for real i want to get this bad boy going ASAP

OP
OP
Garth Schafluetzel

Garth Schafluetzel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so the return from the skimmer will have to eithe be straight down or straight across? could i not run i piece of pvc with a 90 degree angle and then have it drain straight down ?

bamachamp92

WIL E. COYOTE SUPERGENIUS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can as long as it never goes uphill, if you run it uphill at any point between the skimmer and the sump you wont be able to keep the water level in the skimmer low enough to skim, it will just fill the collection cup with water.

bamachamp92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i think you should actually have it pushing water to the skimmer, with an external pump you may have to drill your sump and attach the external pump to the sump with a bulkhead and then go from the pump to the skimmer.

bamachamp92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i dont really know of a way, unless you change to an internal pump. Someone else more educated in this matter than i am may chime in and have a solution, i dont have one at the moment. hopefully someone else will read this and know something to help.

Nate82

Paitence Sucks...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just drop the tubes in over the side of the sump make sure you attach them though wouldn't want one falling out and draining your tank!

OP
OP
Garth Schafluetzel

Garth Schafluetzel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
true so u think i could get away with just setting the tube inside the sump? what will happen if the power goes out lol and i \m still not to sure but its 9 am and time to start tinkiering lol

Back