snowflake eel stop eating

nmo0ory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello,
i have snowflake eel for around 1 year now
it was going fine and i feed him even 3 - 7 days depend if i see him out looking for food i feed him
but in the past 1 week he stop eating and his color change to very bright black
what could be the problem and how can i help him to eat again ?
i feed him only shrimp same type of shrimp since a year
i used the frozen shrimp from supermarket

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While eels will sometimes go on "hunger strikes", sometimes lasting many weeks, recover and appear to be fine; there is always a reason. Check the usual culprits like water quality or any recent change including new tank mates or a bully. A week is not long as all, in a mature eel, once a week is a reasonable feeding routine.

Some things to look at, at the year mark could be malnutrition and digestion. If you are not maintaining reel level mg, checking the mag level and if low, raising it 100ppm daily until you reach 1600ppm may help. Mg plays an important role in digestion, I run my predator tanks at 1400ppm, reef level is fine, the high 1600ppm is if there may be a digestion problem. Feeding frozen shrimp exclusively will eventually present a nutrition issue. Frozen shrimp needs to be used within a year of the freeze date for proper nutrients, as shrimp does contain thiaminese, the amount of B vitamins being depleted could present a problem. Vitamin B1 deficiency is the cause of many early demise in predatory fish. Adding a varied diet is a must; squid, octopus, mussels, clams. Mussels contain a good amount of vit B1 and Gamma Fish sells a good package you can get at the lfs.

There are other issues that can arise at the year mark but the digestion, water quality, and nutrition are issues that you can address. Hunger strikes are not as normal as some will make it out to be, if being fed properly and in a gorge/fast feeding routine, eels that frequently go on hunger strikes, usually don't live that long.

OP
OP
nmo0ory

nmo0ory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While eels will sometimes go on "hunger strikes", sometimes lasting many weeks, recover and appear to be fine; there is always a reason. Check the usual culprits like water quality or any recent change including new tank mates or a bully. A week is not long as all, in a mature eel, once a week is a reasonable feeding routine.

Some things to look at, at the year mark could be malnutrition and digestion. If you are not maintaining reel level mg, checking the mag level and if low, raising it 100ppm daily until you reach 1600ppm may help. Mg plays an important role in digestion, I run my predator tanks at 1400ppm, reef level is fine, the high 1600ppm is if there may be a digestion problem. Feeding frozen shrimp exclusively will eventually present a nutrition issue. Frozen shrimp needs to be used within a year of the freeze date for proper nutrients, as shrimp does contain thiaminese, the amount of B vitamins being depleted could present a problem. Vitamin B1 deficiency is the cause of many early demise in predatory fish. Adding a varied diet is a must; squid, octopus, mussels, clams. Mussels contain a good amount of vit B1 and Gamma Fish sells a good package you can get at the lfs.

There are other issues that can arise at the year mark but the digestion, water quality, and nutrition are issues that you can address. Hunger strikes are not as normal as some will make it out to be, if being fed properly and in a gorge/fast feeding routine, eels that frequently go on hunger strikes, usually don't live that long.

my eel is in a reef tank
i have not add any new corals
i am using zeovit system so no3 and po4 is 0
i will try to test mg today and cheek what level is it
also will buy new shrimp just to make sure

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feed something other than shrimp. With preds you want a varied diet. Try frozen salmon.

My jeweled moray just got moved to a larger tank and stopped eating for 31 days. Just got her to eat yesterday with some squid!

Again variance is key! Try selcon with the food also!

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my eel is in a reef tank
i have not add any new corals
i am using zeovit system so no3 and po4 is 0
i will try to test mg today and cheek what level is it
also will buy new shrimp just to make sure

If you go right back to feeding frozen shrimp exclusively, malnution is inevitable. You can also stuff a few high quality, high nutrition pellets onto the chunks of food.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 35.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 36 30.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back