stand for 75G reef

AshwinRavi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

I got a 75Gallon aquarium in a very good shape(48x18x21) for free recently from a friend, the stand was in a very bad so we had to discard it. before building a DIY with 2x4, I was wondering if anyone has given this a thought, (http://www.homedepot.com/p/Edsal-72...al-Shelving-Unit-in-Black-UR-245WGB/202067997) I have a similar one at work and it holds a lot of weight. the official rating on this one I believe is 1000lbs per shelf, a 75G reef I imagine will weigh a hair below that. what do you guys think?

I was thinking if it will hold, leave the bottom shelf for sump, setup the aquarium on the middle one and leave the top for setting up lighting, removing 2nd and 4th away.

4bdf5cb7-9646-49cd-88d2-4458f43a85e0_1000.jpg

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wouldn't catch me considering that shelving unit as a stand. Those shelves are punched sheet metal.....to easily deformed.

johnzena

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

I got a 75Gallon aquarium in a very good shape(48x18x21) for free recently from a friend, the stand was in a very bad so we had to discard it. before building a DIY with 2x4, I was wondering if anyone has given this a thought, (http://www.homedepot.com/p/Edsal-72...al-Shelving-Unit-in-Black-UR-245WGB/202067997) I have a similar one at work and it holds a lot of weight. the official rating on this one I believe is 1000lbs per shelf, a 75G reef I imagine will weigh a hair below that. what do you guys think?

I was thinking if it will hold, leave the bottom shelf for sump, setup the aquarium on the middle one and leave the top for setting up lighting, removing 2nd and 4th away.

4bdf5cb7-9646-49cd-88d2-4458f43a85e0_1000.jpg
That thing scares the crap out of me. First of all the weight is being held by the screws holding the shelving together. Secondly it would need to be modified to hold your tank. Im sure that if it was engineered correctly it might work but like I said, its scary. There is a great thread here with 2X4 design. The screws on those shelving units loosen over time and the last thing you want to happen is to lose that tank. Go with what is tried and proven.

OP
OP
AshwinRavi

AshwinRavi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
t
That thing scares the crap out of me. First of all the weight is being held by the screws holding the shelving together. Secondly it would need to be modified to hold your tank. Im sure that if it was engineered correctly it might work but like I said, its scary. There is a great thread here with 2X4 design. The screws on those shelving units loosen over time and the last thing you want to happen is to lose that tank. Go with what is tried and proven.
thanks, i was just curious to know if it would work if i give it the right support. but, it did scare me to see a 800lb+ tank sitting on a rack like that

Young@Heart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Approx 8.4 lbs per gal = 630 lbs of Water, + Substrate (if using one) + Your LR, + Fish. I would not trust it! Besides I believe the Wood (Pressed Partical Board) and inserted onto a lip about a .25 inch wide that goes around the inside of the frame. Better off Making a Stand, besides you can make it yours (Hide SUMP, Electrical, Probes and all that stuff.. Gotta think about the weight. Happy Reefing!

OP
OP
AshwinRavi

AshwinRavi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a chance. Stands settle over time. Any shift in weight would stress the glass and leak over time.

If cost is a factor make one.
it was curiosity more than anything. I recently built a 2x4 stand for my 60G, mostly will go that route again for the 75, unless I befriend a welder :)

Young@Heart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was going to build a Custom Stand for my 2 55 Gallon Tanks - A side by side unit. Figured out the total cost would be less than $ 175 - Of course the most expensive thing in the wood. Just, draw it and engineer it. Would like to see what you come up with. My Plans changed when I got a 180 Gallon. The the stand I am talking about does not actually exist - though I came very close to getting every thing and starting. Now I am focused on my 180 Gallon. Getting ready to start a new build thread.

OP
OP
AshwinRavi

AshwinRavi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was going to build a Custom Stand for my 2 55 Gallon Tanks - A side by side unit. Figured out the total cost would be less than $ 175 - Of course the most expensive thing in the wood. Just, draw it and engineer it. Would like to see what you come up with. My Plans changed when I got a 180 Gallon. The the stand I am talking about does not actually exist - though I came very close to getting every thing and starting. Now I am focused on my 180 Gallon. Getting ready to start a new build thread.
I saw this post on YouTube by Aaron's aquarium, the stand he built for his 420G, aka his "wife", uses scaffolding pipes to keep his aquarium together. I have worked at several construction sites to have faith on scaffolding pipes and I believe it can hold any aquarium if built properly. I am debating between timber vs scaffolding, will probably decide in a week or so, will keep everyone posted. I am very new to reef keeping, been researching for several months afraid to jump in.

Young@Heart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As for Getting into the Hobby. Have Patience (See different type of things you can do) decide what you can do. Reasearch More have more patience. Have a GreaT Resource here at R2R (Ask Questions) also you local LFS can be a good source of info - but remember if you ask 10 people in the hobby you may get multiple responses - its your expirience and your decision. But go SLOW. I am making a big jump in tank size and going from using HOB filters to a Sump. You bet I am taking it SLOW!

OP
OP
AshwinRavi

AshwinRavi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As for Getting into the Hobby. Have Patience (See different type of things you can do) decide what you can do. Reasearch More have more patience. Have a GreaT Resource here at R2R (Ask Questions) also you local LFS can be a good source of info - but remember if you ask 10 people in the hobby you may get multiple responses - its your expirience and your decision. But go SLOW. I am making a big jump in tank size and going from using HOB filters to a Sump. You bet I am taking it SLOW!
that's exactly what I am doing. luckily for me, both the misses and I are very much into reef. I went from goldfish tank in India about 15 years ago to cichlid last year, and now researching reef.. :)

PNWReefer17

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it was curiosity more than anything. I recently built a 2x4 stand for my 60G, mostly will go that route again for the 75, unless I befriend a welder :)
I'm looking at options to build a stand for the 75 gal display and 40 gal sump that I recently picked up. I'd like to fab a steel frame and then skin it with wood. Curious to know if you ever found that welder or just built another wooden frame? If you have some basic plans, I'd love to see them if you are good with that.

OP
OP
AshwinRavi

AshwinRavi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking at options to build a stand for the 75 gal display and 40 gal sump that I recently picked up. I'd like to fab a steel frame and then skin it with wood. Curious to know if you ever found that welder or just built another wooden frame? If you have some basic plans, I'd love to see them if you are good with that.
I ended up buying 3, 10G Brooklyn tank stands from petco and connected them together and did some weight tests to make sure it will hold the tank. it might not fit a 40G as sump though.
62c9e2d2e5a011af358d5064bcfe3a61.jpg

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 78 38.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 33.8%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.7%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back