Starting my reef life

TXReefer89

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 28, 2017
Messages
6
Reaction score
3
What state or country do you live in
Texas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll start this off by saying I'm about a year into this hobby and I'm...hooked. First time poster to R2R. I need recommendations for a 220 gallon aquarium, see bottom for details.

About a year ago I took an old 29 gallon tank off my dad's hands he had in some warehouse along with a few rocks/substrate..hadn't been ran in a decade+. Needless to say I jumped right in with the equipment and started this baby up. Come to find out it was fresh water equipment so I've been swapping out/adding stuff as I learn. Since then I've learned a lot and stuck mainly to LPS; now gettings into SPS. 3 days ago I switched my lighting from an Orbit to a Hydra 26, pretty happy so far.

Lately I've been battling green hair algae= phosphates. I know the first thing anyone asks are parameters? Basically, I didn't have my flow right and let detritus build up on rocks. I've been cleaning off rocks with turkey baster/frequent water changes. I've also been running a GFO reactor but need to get a media filter for the reactor.

Salinity 1.025-1.026
Temp. 79-80
Ammonia 0ppm
pH 7.8 (a little low)
Recently changed sump from bio-balls to live rock.

I am preparing a 220 gallon tank as well, so far I have the tank, stand, and sump. I need recommendations for the pump(s), power heads, sand, protein skimmer, and other goodies. I'm pretty sure I'm going to use Hydra 26s/52s.

Thank-you in advance and I'll see you around the forum!

DSC00883.JPG


DSC00887.JPG


DSC00890.JPG


DSC00891.JPG
 

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 5.6%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 5 7.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 14 19.7%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 21 29.6%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 12.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 3 4.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 11.3%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 6 8.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new