Stocking list - sugested order

Baseman422

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, what do you all think about this stocking list? What order would you stock? Is there anything you wouild leave out or add?

Tank is new this is for future reference.
116 gallon corner bowfront with 20 gallon sump.
LPS/softie tank

Yellow tang
Foxface
4 clowns
Nem
6 line wrasse
Royal gramma
Desjardin sail fin tang
3 Pajama cardinals
Yasha goby
Blue Tang
Coral beauty angel
Diamond watchman goby
Cheveron Tang/two spot bristletooth tang

Hairyteeth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think on the larger fish side people will suggest only the bristle tooth and maybe the yellow tang, with the blue and sailfin tangs being a little too large for this tank, two clowns being the normal suggestions but maybe not undoable

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aside from the fact that this may or may not be too many tangs, I agree with adding (any) tangs together. I was actually thinking the sailfin and yellow tangs would be the best combination. Sixline and royal gramma can really be added whenever (both are going to disappear: the royal into the rocks and the sixline on patrol).

OP
OP
B

Baseman422

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
81C6D144-A4E6-4E44-A347-C1AD2A6159D6.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
may be too many fish for this type of tank. With rock and structure, you will have total of about 100 gallons.

In order of placement:
Yellow tang - 11
Foxface - 10
4 clowns - 9
Nem - 6
6 line wrasse - 12
Royal gramma - 5
Desjardin sail fin tang - WILL GET TOO BIG QUICKLY
3 Pajama cardinals - 1
Yasha goby - 2
Blue Tang - 8
Coral beauty angel - 4
Diamond watchman goby - 3
Cheveron Tang/two spot bristletooth tang - 7

OP
OP
B

Baseman422

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, out of that list (that’s in no particular order) what would you all add and in what order?

agame2021

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, what do you all think about this stocking list? What order would you stock? Is there anything you wouild leave out or add?

LPS/softie tank

Yellow tang
Foxface
4 clowns
Nem
6 line wrasse
Royal gramma
Desjardin sail fin tang
3 Pajama cardinals
Yasha goby
Blue Tang
Coral beauty angel
Diamond watchman goby
Honestly 4 clowns might give you trouble unless you get them all from the same clutch and odd numbers are best. My co-worker does all the set ups at out LFS (which I work at too) and he said the first thing in is clowns and follows up with the nem. After that he said as long as you keep good water and have a fully cycled tank (and the nem doesn’t die) you can start adding other stuff.
In my opinion nems can be Uber problematic especially if you have other corals… I won’t do bubble tips again!!!! I would love to try a carpet in the future though.

that sailfin mentioned is going to fight your yellow tang unless you get lucky. Both being expensive fish do you want to risk $180-500 of tangs?

coral beauty is a coin toss on if it will eat corals in tank or not. And if it is not fully fed all the time it could start nibbling on them even if it has never done it before.

I have 2 diamond gobies in my tank rn and they are rescaping the sand 24/7. Make sure your rock is on the bottom of the tanks flat surface and put the sand around your scape. This will help you not have to rescape every month! Instead you will just move a little sand around every other week. (On the plus’s side sand bed will always be clean!!!!!!)

mid you can find a magnificent fox face get that one! They are a bit more rare and have better coloring (in my opinion) but make sure it’s atleast 5-6 inches because the smaller they are the easier it is for them to get sick. I have personally lost 2 fox faces and my shop has a 50% loss unless they are bigger.

lastly if you are looking to get some sick tangs get a sailfin (desjardini if you have too) and get a Achilles tang. Those two and the fox face will make it a bit cramped in that 116 gallon tank but they will be show stoppers none the less. (You still might have to get rid of the bigger tangs or upgrade your tank. But even the regular fox face will get to be pretty big in that tank.)

Let me know if you got any more questions.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

LPS/softie tank

Yellow tang
Foxface
4 clowns
Nem
6 line wrasse
Royal gramma
Desjardin sail fin tang
3 Pajama cardinals
Yasha goby
Blue Tang
Coral beauty angel
Diamond watchman goby
After reading through this thread and getting all the information I need, here’s what I would NOT do:
- Blue Tang
- Sailfin Tang
- Chevron Tang
- Yellow Tang
- Sixline Wrasse (Just one research of these will lead to MANY horror stories)

And what I would do:
1. Foxface (Go for the smaller species - Magnificent, Common, One Spot)
2. Yasha Goby
3. Royal Gramma
4. Silver Belly/Radiant/Timor Wrasse (Alternatives to the sixline)
5. CBA
6. Cardinals
Then, wait a couple of years (You’d want a 2-5 year old and deeper sandbed for the second goby)
7. Diamond Watchman Goby
8. Twin spot Bristletooth Tang

My reasoning as to why I would not keep the diamond watchman goby until you have a 2-5 year old, deep sandbed is due to what they eat and how they aren’t great for weaning onto frozen. As for how deep, I’d say 3-4 inch deep, 5 inch would be best in some areas just do you can het a cycle of an area the goby will rarely get down to but also you can have a slightly more natural depth for the burrow to go.

When I have gobies in a tank (I always have Atleast one tank with Atleast one goby) I avoid anemones at all times unless it’s a RFA. The reason as to why is me being cautious about the larger anemones catching a fish that is actually slower moving than people often expect.

agame2021

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After reading through this thread and getting all the information I need, here’s what I would NOT do:
- Blue Tang
- Sailfin Tang
- Chevron Tang
- Yellow Tang
- Sixline Wrasse (Just one research of these will lead to MANY horror stories)

And what I would do:
1. Foxface (Go for the smaller species - Magnificent, Common, One Spot)
2. Yasha Goby
3. Royal Gramma
4. Silver Belly/Radiant/Timor Wrasse (Alternatives to the sixline)
5. CBA
6. Cardinals
Then, wait a couple of years (You’d want a 2-5 year old and deeper sandbed for the second goby)
7. Diamond Watchman Goby
8. Twin spot Bristletooth Tang

My reasoning as to why I would not keep the diamond watchman goby until you have a 2-5 year old, deep sandbed is due to what they eat and how they aren’t great for weaning onto frozen. As for how deep, I’d say 3-4 inch deep, 5 inch would be best in some areas just do you can het a cycle of an area the goby will rarely get down to but also you can have a slightly more natural depth for the burrow to go.

When I have gobies in a tank (I always have Atleast one tank with Atleast one goby) I avoid anemones at all times unless it’s a RFA. The reason as to why is me being cautious about the larger anemones catching a fish that is actually slower moving than people often expect.
Just a little move info. Both of my gobies are eating pellets and I did nothing special. Got them from the store I work at and plopped them into the tank. (I do have a healthy amount of pods in the tank rn.) but once a week I will “over feed the tank” (not really just spread it out more) and they eat the pellets in the sand bed and sometimes before the pellets hit the sand bed. Idk if I am lucky for this but didn’t have to do anything special.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a little move info. Both of my gobies are eating pellets and I did nothing special. Got them from the store I work at and plopped them into the tank. (I do have a healthy amount of pods in the tank rn.) but once a week I will “over feed the tank” (not really just spread it out more) and they eat the pellets in the sand bed and sometimes before the pellets hit the sand bed. Idk if I am lucky for this but didn’t have to do anything special.
That’s big luck - Usually they will just wither away and not take to prepared foods which is why I recommend what I recommend when it comes to valenciennea. I will also say, Valenciennea puellaris tends to be a more easy species of that genus but definitely not a good fish to get when just getting into gobiidae.

agame2021

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s big luck - Usually they will just wither away and not take to prepared foods which is why I recommend what I recommend when it comes to valenciennea. I will also say, Valenciennea puellaris tends to be a more easy species of that genus but definitely not a good fish to get when just getting into gobiidae.
Alright well I guess I should go buy a lottery ticket then they are all eating TDO.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 7.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 44 34.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 24.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back