Stocking my reef tank

Cole nelson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 50 gallon full reef tank with a LOT of coral I’ve had set up for a few years, currently I have two fish, a green mandarin goby and a zebra barred dartfish as well as a long spine urchin. I am ready to add more fish but do not want to overstock. Here is what I am looking into adding:

1X Blue gudgeon dartfish
1X yellow stripe clingfish
1X Royal gramma
2X yellowtail damsel
2X three spot domino damsel
2X four stripe damsel
And possibly 1X blue linckia starfish

Again keep in mind I already have a zebra barred dart fish and a green mandarin goby and a long spine urchin that have been in my tank for a while and are well established in the tank.

Would all of this be too much stock for my 50 gallon? Should I remove a few fish from my list?

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would say yes too much.

Also damsels can be a problem on their own especially 2 species together. Domino get big and mean.

Also you dont want your manderin competing for food and clingfish could get picked on by some of those tank mates.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Cole nelson

Cole nelson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Also damsels can be a problem on their own especially 2 species together. Domino get big and mean.

Also you dont want your manderin competing for food and clingfish could get picked on by some of those tank mates.
OK that’s great to know! Thank you!

OP
OP
Cole nelson

Cole nelson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

luckily the domino damsel is my least favorite on my list so off the list it goes! What I REALLY want to add are the clingfish and the gramma. The rest are because I want to brighten up the fish selection and have a little more action.

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Look at fire fish goby, the purple ones are pretty and I wouldn't imagine messing with the cling fish.

OP
OP
Cole nelson

Cole nelson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look at fire fish goby, the purple ones are pretty and I wouldn't imagine messing with the cling fish.
So would you say no damsels at all with the clingfish? I like fire fish, but I’m trying to find something bright and active with a different body shape and if I do fire fish instead of damsels all of my fish would have that long thin body.

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I wouldn't imagine damsels messing with the cling fish but any other fish that goes near their rock home will get bullied ;)

ReefHog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Domino and four stripe get pretty mean as they get older. I’ve kept both in FO systems over the years and they are definitely bullies. And their colors fade (especially dominos) so they don’t look as good either. Hard to find fish with their unique swimming pattern though.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 34.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 16.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back