Supplemental lighting suggestions please

BostonReefer300

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I've been reefing for quite a while, but only got serious about SPS recently and I think I need some lighting help. In my 300G mixed reef setup (72"L x 36"W x 27"H), I have designed my aquascape so that the highest points are along the back wall and then the rocks generally slope downward toward the front. Therefore, I've placed my most light-hungry SPS frags in the back where the distance to the water surface is about 10 - 12 inches. My tank is lit by three Radion G5 Blues hung 10" from the water surface and running the SPS PHX14 template. I'm getting roughly 200-250 PAR at the bases of my "high light" SPS frags and about an extra 50-75 PAR about six inches above their bases. I know that's not enough light, however if I turn up the intensity anymore, I put too much light down at sand level in the front which I want to keep around 100 PAR (where I keep my low-light corals). All these measurements are after I recently moved my lights further toward the back of the tank to get relatively more light back there. All this leads me to think that I need supplemental lighting in the back of the tank.
What do you all recommend? I have a fish room, so I don't care about aesthetics of the light fixtures or the mounting systems. I'm also very flexible on cost in this instance. I have a "new" Apex that I can use to control compatible lights, but I don't necessarily need to go that route. All that being said, I do have a preference to keep this simple if possible because I already feel like my tank is very complex due to my gadget addiction problem---but I'm not afraid of complex if that's what's needed for the best option.
Anyway, thanks very much for the help!
PS If I say a special prayer, will @Dana Riddle answer me? :) How about @Bulk Reef Supply since I'm pretty sure I'm the one who paid for Randy's dream tank (see aforementioned gadget addiction problem)? :D

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I've been reefing for quite a while, but only got serious about SPS recently and I think I need some lighting help. In my 300G mixed reef setup (72"L x 36"W x 27"H), I have designed my aquascape so that the highest points are along the back wall and then the rocks generally slope downward toward the front. Therefore, I've placed my most light-hungry SPS frags in the back where the distance to the water surface is about 10 - 12 inches. My tank is lit by three Radion G5 Blues hung 10" from the water surface and running the SPS PHX14 template. I'm getting roughly 200-250 PAR at the bases of my "high light" SPS frags and about an extra 50-75 PAR about six inches above their bases. I know that's not enough light, however if I turn up the intensity anymore, I put too much light down at sand level in the front which I want to keep around 100 PAR (where I keep my low-light corals). All these measurements are after I recently moved my lights further toward the back of the tank to get relatively more light back there. All this leads me to think that I need supplemental lighting in the back of the tank.
What do you all recommend? I have a fish room, so I don't care about aesthetics of the light fixtures or the mounting systems. I'm also very flexible on cost in this instance. I have a "new" Apex that I can use to control compatible lights, but I don't necessarily need to go that route. All that being said, I do have a preference to keep this simple if possible because I already feel like my tank is very complex due to my gadget addiction problem---but I'm not afraid of complex if that's what's needed for the best option.
PS If I say a special prayer, will @Dana Riddle answer me? :) How about @Bulk Reef Supply since I'm pretty sure I'm the one who paid for Randy's dream tank (see aforementioned gadget addiction problem)? :D
Many Acropora species contain 'generalist' zooxanthellae clades (C1, C3 if my pre-coffee brain is working), meaning they are highly adaptable to light intensity, but photosaturation is likely around PPFD of 300 or so. If non-fluorescent coloration (chromoprotein) production is the goal and the coral is able to make them, higher PPFD is OK. If you really want more light, try one of Orphek's LED strips.

OP
OP
BostonReefer300

BostonReefer300

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many Acropora species contain 'generalist' zooxanthellae clades (C1, C3 if my pre-coffee brain is working), meaning they are highly adaptable to light intensity, but photosaturation is likely around PPFD of 300 or so. If non-fluorescent coloration (chromoprotein) production is the goal and the coral is able to make them, higher PPFD is OK. If you really want more light, try one of Orphek's LED strips.
Thanks Dana! So maybe a couple of the Orphek 36" Day Plus light bars? Those aren't controllable, right? So just turn them on via Apex coincident with my peak light cycle?

rusgum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. I am using Kessils

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Dana! So maybe a couple of the Orphek 36" Day Plus light bars? Those aren't controllable, right? So just turn them on via Apex coincident with my peak light cycle?
The Orphek Reef Daylight Plus are full spectrum and quite powerful. If blue is your thing, go with the Reef Plus. They are simply on/off but can be powered up through the Apex.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 135 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back