Switching Controllers from Apex to GHL

smartwater101

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
EDIT: The more I think about it. Wouldn't it be easier to just wire a 3.5 to rj11, and bypass the breakoutbox completely? @Ditto

I'm still really curious about this. AI will make th cable for you (I plan to DIY) but I'm wondering if this same method would work for Kessil. Just forego the breakout box completely....

Another question. @Ditto do you use the Air Humidity + Temperature sensor? I was planning on getting one and wanted to hear peoples thoughts on it.

vangvace

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what you mean by that. Quality wires?

Solid core, like in the black wire in the picture below, is much easier to work with at the size and connector. Stranded or braided cable is easier to have stray wires shorting things out, clipping to much when stripping the jacket, and can be a little more fragile. For the 3.5mm cable the stands of wire will be pretty thin, close to human hair. Putting 4 lines into a RJ11 jack at the same time is a challenge I would rather pass on.

5138de3cce395f3c1d000001.JPG

smartwater101

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Solid core, like in the black wire in the picture below, is much easier to work with at the size and connector. Stranded or braided cable is easier to have stray wires shorting things out, clipping to much when stripping the jacket, and can be a little more fragile. For the 3.5mm cable the stands of wire will be pretty thin, close to human hair. Putting 4 lines into a RJ11 jack at the same time is a challenge I would rather pass on.

5138de3cce395f3c1d000001.JPG
oh right i see what ya mean. i suppose you could just solder the braided if needed. (Being careful not to leave bulges of course)

OP
OP
Ditto

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@smartwater101 - I do have the temp and humidity on my P4 controller and it inside my cabinet on one tank on my other tank because I am now drawing air from the outside I placed it within the outside air line to see the humidity and air temp of the outside before it hits the co2 scrubber.

I trying to coralate if outside air temp and humidity have impact on life span and the ph values of the tank.

LC8Sumi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the long run, you'll be glad ya did.

I just wanted to buy an ATO, like an osmolator nano.. And ended up with a P4 mega set + whatnot:D
And I'm already thinking that I should drop my Schuran CalRx & go for a couple GHL dosers instead.. It looks so easy to set up & maintain a good balling system with these...

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok if it has not been asked before I am very curious as to what brand of wire organizer you are using. Those loops on a strip look perfect for neatening up my wires.

Rob

If it was a question to me - I use Hager M5692 wire organizer. I do not know if you can get this in the US
I'm still really curious about this. AI will make th cable for you (I plan to DIY) but I'm wondering if this same method would work for Kessil. Just forego the breakout box completely....

Another question. @Ditto do you use the Air Humidity + Temperature sensor? I was planning on getting one and wanted to hear peoples thoughts on it.

It is possible to do but it is much easier to use the break outbox. See this thread

I use the air - humidity/temp sensor - it works great. I use the temp sensor to manage a fan in my cabinet.

Sincerely Lasse

shoggoth43

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh right i see what ya mean. i suppose you could just solder the braided if needed. (Being careful not to leave bulges of course)

Stranded will work if it stays in the sheath. A lot of super flexible network cables are like that where you have an outlet sheath and then individual jacketed wires. They can be tough to get in the correct spots before you crimp the connector though.

LC8Sumi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't want to highjack this thread, nor take advantage of Ditto's knowledge:) Buuut... Is it normal that the settings and dashboard don't sync between the P4 built-in web server, the myGHL site (if viewed from computer), and the myGHL site (if viewed from the GHL connect app)?

So for example I added a webcam on the myGHL website (from a browser on my computer) - and I can't see that if I log into the P4 on the local network.
Other example: I've arranged a dashboard layout + added a webcam box to the dashboard on the myGHL website (from a browser on my computer) - and I can't see that if I log into myGHL via the GHL Connect app on my phone

(I also see a different, 4th view, if I log into the P4 locally via the GHL Connect app)

vangvace

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't want to highjack this thread, nor take advantage of Ditto's knowledge:) Buuut... Is it normal that the settings and dashboard don't sync between the P4 built-in web server, the myGHL site (if viewed from computer), and the myGHL site (if viewed from the GHL connect app)?

So for example I added a webcam on the myGHL website (from a browser on my computer) - and I can't see that if I log into the P4 on the local network.
Other example: I've arranged a dashboard layout + added a webcam box to the dashboard on the myGHL website (from a browser on my computer) - and I can't see that if I log into myGHL via the GHL Connect app on my phone

(I also see a different, 4th view, if I log into the P4 locally via the GHL Connect app)
If you are talking about the tile layout and display... yes that is correct. Everything on the control side stays the same, but the layout is customized by connection view. I have different layouts depending on if I log in via browser or the app for screen size and my needs.

Caveat: No clue on the camera piece though.

LC8Sumi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are talking about the tile layout and display... yes that is correct. Everything on the control side stays the same, but the layout is customized by connection view. I have different layouts depending on if I log in via browser or the app for screen size and my needs.

Caveat: No clue on the camera piece though.
Thanks! I guess it’s then only an issue with the webcam settings..

ReefGoddesss

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone. I’m so excited to be a proud owner of a ProfiLux 4e set. I opened up the box and began the installation process last night. I have a couple of questions hopefully you guys/gals can help me get through.
1. How do I properly calibrate the pH probe? I’ve installed the temperature probe and it’s working fine. I have the 2 included calibration fluids included, but I did not see any steps on how to calibrate in the downloaded 4e or resource manuals or online videos.

2. I’ve conducted the basic setup via the myGHL mobile app. The process went well. However, I see I have 2 firmware updates to perform. Can I do this on my phone, or do I need to setup an online account via my computer and then update? I’ve read through all pages here and tried to take notes, but I know there’s been several changes to the processes, as initially the myGHL app wasn’t as advanced in the beginning and every step required computer access.
3. Finally, it’s been advised to backup my settings (which is just the basic install as I haven’t setup controls etc. as of yet) prior to updating. Where is this process done...via the computer access or via MyGHL app? Thanks for your help and patience, as this is my first major controller and I want to do all I can to setup my system correctly and as problem-free the first time.

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Calibration is done on the P4E unit itself through the push button menu. Since you have the P4e, I believe it came with 7 & 10 PH references which is good.

vangvace

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ReefGoddesss
I followed step 19 of this thread when I calibrated my pH probe. I should also note that you should be using a 7 and 10 fluids. I was helping someone the other day and they had a 4 and 7 reference solution.... which will make it a little off.

Firmware updating should be done via the GCC windows software. I would do that before calibrating probes and whatnot. While in there, you can also connect it to myGHL, your home wifi, etc. Oh! When updating firmware, your powerbar is up to date already!

Overall, I followed this thread when I setup my GHL system and followed the same steps in the order Ditto did.

Good luck and you have got this

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ReefGoddesss
I followed step 19 of this thread when I calibrated my pH probe. I should also note that you should be using a 7 and 10 fluids. I was helping someone the other day and they had a 4 and 7 reference solution.... which will make it a little off.

Firmware updating should be done via the GCC windows software. I would do that before calibrating probes and whatnot. While in there, you can also connect it to myGHL, your home wifi, etc. Oh! When updating firmware, your powerbar is up to date already!

Overall, I followed this thread when I setup my GHL system and followed the same steps in the order Ditto did.

Good luck and you have got this
The 4 mega sets come with 4/7 for freshwater setups, puzzling considering salt must dwarf fresh for profilux sales. My 4e came with the usual 7/10 calibration samples though.

OP
OP
Ditto

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Backup is does the GCC legacy desktop software.
(Once your connected (Via USB) to the device via GCC legacy desktop software choose backup and restore)
Make sure that you do both all settings and all sensor data, it will save to files on your desktop

1577747823035.png

2. Firmware is also done for now also the legacy GCC desktop software for now :)

(Once your inside the Device Across the top click on Extra)

1577747685304.png

Welcome to the GHL Club!!

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.1%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 69 41.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back