Tank Upgrade Stocking Order?

Husker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never upgraded tanks before, so I'm a little unsure how to proceed with the order of adding the old livestock to the new tank versus adding new livestock to the new tank.

Current tank:
40 breeder
2 ocellaris clowns
solonensis wrasse
melanurus wrasse
Kole tang

New tank:
150 gallon (5'x2'x2') + 75 gallon sump
Looking to add a bottom dweller (watchman goby?), a few anthias, a few more wrasses, and maybe another tang.

My melanurus wrasse is pretty aggressive toward new wrasse additions (I tried to get a yellow wrasse, and had to remove the new wrasse to save its life). I also already have the tang.

Would it be best to get the new tank set up and add the more peaceful new fish before adding some of the old fish? Do I need to add another tang to the tank at the same time as adding my old tang? Any suggestions on which wrasses and tang would be a good fit? I would like to keep both tanks up for as short of a time as possible, but also don't want to overload the new system or cause any fish deaths from aggression.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would rehome the Mel, and get another once your stocking list is complete. Also, the Kole Tang may harass any new tang.

OP
OP
Husker

Husker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would rehome the Mel, and get another once your stocking list is complete. Also, the Kole Tang may harass any new tang.

Hmm.. After consulting with the wife and 2 year old daughter, rehoming any fish is not an option. hah.

Would this sequence work?:
1) Keep both tanks up at the same time
2) Transfer clowns to new tank
3) Add peaceful goby to new tank
4) Add a couple peaceful fairy wrasse and transfer the solonensis wrasse from old tank
5) Add an anthias harem (not sure which species yet, thinking 4-5 females and one male of one species and then a male Bartlett's)
6) Transfer melanurus wrasse from old tank to new tank
7) Transfer kole tang at the same time as adding another tang (final fish) to the new tank

If this sounds like too many fish, I would probably lean toward not adding any more wrasses than what I have. This keeps both tanks up longer than I would like, but it allows fish additions without having to get rid of fish that have become family members. Thoughts?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That gameplan would probably work, as the Melanurus & Kole Tang would be the last additions and the other fish would already be established.

OP
OP
Husker

Husker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great. Thanks! More questions may come.

Any others with related experience?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 36 52.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.7%
Back