Thank God for Lids!

TheReefDiary

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up a diamond watchman goby yesterday evening (around 6pm). Was dark by the time I got home so figured I'd keep the fish in the dark because supposedly everyone says it's less stressful and my lights would be going out pretty much right when I put him in the tank.

Well let me tell you that fish had to be more stressed from the dark environment because he would not stop trying to jump out of the tank pretty much all night. my other fish must think he's a nutjob. 100mph swimming then bounces straight into the net or edges of the lid. it was so loud I could hear it from my bedroom.

figured I'd wake up to him as a nice fish crisps but luckily he somehow didn't get out and survived the 100 concussive blows.

he's now digging and making himself a hideout.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up a diamond watchman goby yesterday evening (around 6pm). Was dark by the time I got home so figured I'd keep the fish in the dark because supposedly everyone says it's less stressful and my lights would be going out pretty much right when I put him in the tank.

Well let me tell you that fish had to be more stressed from the dark environment because he would not stop trying to jump out of the tank pretty much all night. my other fish must think he's a nutjob. 100mph swimming then bounces straight into the net or edges of the lid. it was so loud I could hear it from my bedroom.

figured I'd wake up to him as a nice fish crisps but luckily he somehow didn't get out and survived the 100 concussive blows.

he's now digging and making himself a hideout.
Watchman’s tend to be spastic when they’re in a new tank, the light being on is often better as they feel threatened and go straight for the rock.
Lids have saved me with my wrasses a good few times in the past.

OP
OP
TheReefDiary

TheReefDiary

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watchman’s tend to be spastic when they’re in a new tank, the light being on is often better as they feel threatened and go straight for the rock.
Lids have saved me with my wrasses a good few times in the past.
I'm just surprised he's alright after how many times it jumped into the lid

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just surprised he's alright after how many times it jumped into the lid
Fish are indestructible, if you have a net lid they only get truly harmed if they hit the metal keeping the mesh together and managing that is hard.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many dont learn tne lid lesson until somebody tries to be superman.
Congrats on your foresight.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many dont learn tne lid lesson until somebody tries to be superman.
Congrats on your foresight.
Honestly, even with a lid fish can go all superman.
My Flashing tile died because he jumped 3 times and the third was when he gained a spinal injury and died shortly after. All three times he jumped, I had the lid, I only ever opened the lid a small amount and the gap barely even fit a hand. This guy got through the gap.
FE7DF984-CFDD-4984-8429-8ADDC982EA01.jpeg

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True, but you try to prevent most accidents. Had to remake mine as the longnose hawkfish found the small space allowing the dosing tubes into the tank, 1 inch.
Now we dose thru the lid netting.

OP
OP
TheReefDiary

TheReefDiary

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True, but you try to prevent most accidents. Had to remake mine as the longnose hawkfish found the small space allowing the dosing tubes into the tank, 1 inch.
Now we dose thru the lid netting.
luckily all of my fish are too large to jump through the netting or wire holes.

OP
OP
TheReefDiary

TheReefDiary

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish are indestructible, if you have a net lid they only get truly harmed if they hit the metal keeping the mesh together and managing that is hard.
he's been hiding all day after his eventful night. I think he's a little exhausted, I know I would be.

I never finish anythi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few weeks back I was laying on my sofa , went in the other room for no apparent reason to find my clown on the side table just laying there .

Thankfully it survived.

Now my tank has a lid . . . .

OP
OP
TheReefDiary

TheReefDiary

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few weeks back I was laying on my sofa , went in the other room for no apparent reason to find my clown on the side table just laying there .

Thankfully it survived.

Now my tank has a lid . . . .
I lost a yellow watchman goby even with a fine mesh lid. he did t through the cable hole. now all my fish I purchase are above a certain size and no more issues.b

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lost my diamond goby the first night home.. found him on the floor and was like ugh! He was just the perfect size to fit through the 1/4” netting… he liked aimed perfectly lol… I could barely put his dried up body through it…

OP
OP
TheReefDiary

TheReefDiary

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lost my diamond goby the first night home.. found him on the floor and was like ugh! He was just the perfect size to fit through the 1/4” netting… he liked aimed perfectly lol… I could barely put his dried up body through it…
welp he yeated himself out of the tank last night after not moving all day. safe to say I'm done with gobies. they're too finicky of fish. like you said he couldn't even fit through the mesh dried up so idk how mine got through either.

Seansea

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear that. Its crazy how they manage to do that. I added a yellow watchman and watched him swim right over to the powerhead and get sucked in and spit out in a few peices. Looked like straight suicide.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back