OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, so I've secured some help. I'm very hopeful to have the majority of the tank back up and running soon.

To Do
- Grab a small CUC
- Setup Tank electronics -- Tunze pumps, probes, and very hopefully the apex (wireless somehow) -- July 30th
- Get some fish
- Get a new seal for my CalRx
- Get a few tester corals

Just replaced the RODI filters this week so they should be good to go for a minute.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Alright, so I've secured some help. I'm very hopeful to have the majority of the tank back up and running soon.

To Do
- Grab a small CUC
- Setup Tank electronics -- Tunze pumps, probes, and very hopefully the apex (wireless somehow) -- July 30th
- Get some fish

Just replaced the RODI filters this week so they should be good to go for a minute.
Good to hear!

OP
OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, looks like a uniseal and you should be able to replace it. Probably won't be fun, but doable. And man that sucks, I hope they can manage to get you a replacement. :) Great to see most things survived the move intact and I hope the hand heals quickly!

A regular plain jane uniseal? Figured I'd hit up the company as it was a custom size

jhuntstl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

To Do
- Grab a small CUC
- Get some fish

Exciting stuff, bro. I'm giddy to see this tank finally back up and running.

Those uniseals only come in sizes specific to the diameter of standard pvc pipe. You should be able to knock that one off your list pretty quick.

What kinda CUC and fish ya thinking?

OP
OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exciting stuff, bro. I'm giddy to see this tank finally back up and running.

Those uniseals only come in sizes specific to the diameter of standard pvc pipe. You should be able to knock that one off your list pretty quick.

What kinda CUC and fish ya thinking?

Yeah it'll be nice to have something besides snails and algae living in it!

Basic CUC
- 6-8 Banded Trochus
- 2 mexican turbo's to start on the GHA that sprung up post-move.
- Shrimp/Invert (later)

I'll also need to locally source some Stomatella, Asterina, Micro brittle stars.

Fish will be cheap stuff.
- A flasher wrasse (later)
- A leopard wrasse (later)
- A fairy wrasse (later)
- Tail spot blenny
- Royal Gramma
- Firefish
- A few small gobies

Some of the fish I had before are just crazy now... Loved my yellow assessor, always wanted a trio.. Priced them last night... Yeah $400-500 for 3 fish isn't gonna fly, rip my assessor trio plans. My Sunburst anthias is like $150 now too.

I'll have to try and keep my eyes out for used fish locally too

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Basic CUC
- 6-8 Banded Trochus
- Shrimp/Invert (later)

I'll also need to locally source some Stomatella, Asterina, Micro brittle stars.

- A fairy wrasse (later)
- Tail spot blenny
- Royal Gramma
- Firefish
- A few small gobies

Some of the fish I had before are just crazy now... Loved my yellow assessor, always wanted a trio.. Priced them last night... Yeah $400-500 for 3 fish isn't gonna fly, rip my assessor trio plans. My Sunburst anthias is like $150 now too.

I might have some of the smaller micro fauna for you, but not sure when I'll be in your neck of the woods next?

OP
OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This hobby has taken me all over Southern California, so I’ll probably be in your area at some point. Are you going to RAP? I can always meet you there and bring some goodies?

Yeah, I usually volunteer and work the show. i'll probably still be around, but in the back rooms

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is the frag, hope he's had his feet shorn for the summer?! ;)

He is great! About 2 weeks ago he just started gabbing away and hasn't stopped since, it's been an amazing few months:D
20220722_154651.jpg
20220719_122214.jpg
20220719_121826.jpg
20220719_120509.jpg
20220719_120735.jpg

Attachments

• 20220719_121826.jpg
    20220719_121826.jpg
    232.7 KB · Views: 29

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Basic CUC
- 6-8 Banded Trochus
- Shrimp/Invert (later)

- A fairy wrasse (later)
- Tail spot blenny
- Royal Gramma
- Firefish
- A few small gobies

Asterina??? Why? For what? My tank was plagued with Asterina about a year ago. I got a harlequin shrimp and he polished them all off in a few months. Shrimp probably missed a few before he died of starvation. Now the Asterina's are making a comeback. I think they are harmless to corals. Too many on glass looks a bit ugly. Eazy to scrape them off, but why do you want them? Any benefit?

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Asterina??? Why? For what? My tank was plagued with Asterina about a year ago. I got a harlequin shrimp and he polished them all off in a few months. Shrimp probably missed a few before he died of starvation. Now the Asterina's are making a comeback. I think they are harmless to corals. Too many on glass looks a bit ugly. Eazy to scrape them off, but why do you want them? Any benefit?
Aquilonastra stars (asterinas) get a bad rap like bristle worms, but they are great herbivores. In fact, they are another great addition to your CUC and will keep coralline under control.

OP
OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

they eat coraline, some algaes, and i've noticed them start eating any RTN'ing coral, sometimes stopping the spread of RTN -- anecdotal but i've noticed it a few times.

OP
OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my family has decided they dont want me to have a reef anymore so it was all for nothing.

im sorry everyone I don't expect any further updates from me.

In the end almost everybody I tried to help or work with has screwed me over. Every single friend ive met through this hobby only wanted to steal from me, cause problems, or screw over my business.

The worst humans I've had the displeasure of meeting were all reefers. I literally know drug addicts with more integrity than most reef keepers. From vendors here that tried to rip me off and lie to others trying to do the same in person. This hobby attracts human scum.

@revhtree or whoever please lock this thread again. Id tell you to delete it if you could.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my family has decided they dont want me to have a reef anymore so it was all for nothing.

im sorry everyone I don't expect any further updates from me.

In the end almost everybody I tried to help or work with has screwed me over. Every single friend ive met through this hobby only wanted to steal from me, cause problems, or screw over my business.

The worst humans I've had the displeasure of meeting were all reefers. I literally know drug addicts with more integrity than most reef keepers. From vendors here that tried to rip me off and lie to others trying to do the same in person. This hobby attracts human scum.

@revhtree or whoever please lock this thread again. Id tell you to delete it if you could.

Hey man,

I'm sorry to hear all this, especially knowing everything that you have gone through up to this point. Hopefully you'll stick around atleast on here, we aren't all bad. Humans are unfortunately.... humans. Where there is good, it seems there is always bad. And in the business world... well, you always seem to have to deal with the worst people. Shoot me a message if you want to, if not, I get it.

All the best!

Josh

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 129 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.4%
Back