The Garden -- Rakies shallow SPS cube

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know, my family didn't believe there was a plumbing problem, and it got worse, and worse... Until one day pipes under the house started bursting, and spewing sewage everywhere -- They didn't believe me still... By this point the tank had been long dead, and I had started making water somewhere else.

The pipes here are about 70 years old, galvanized steel pipe -- which has all kinds of goodies like lead in it... I have no idea what got through but it was far too late overnight after doing a LARGE water change... It was dramatically worse overnight. That's when I figured out it must be the source water.

6 stage spectrapure maxcap RODI. 0 TDS rock solid, tested with multiple TDS meters. Always use PenTek Chlorplus for chlorine/chloramines which I absolutely have.. I never wanted my water to be the problem. I bought the best everything money could buy. I replaced all the filters just in case and started making water at my parents house.

It's been fine since.. Gonna do a nice 100% water change saturday when I move this thing anyways so we'll see how that goes!
You got this. I have faith in my fellow troublemaker.

OP
OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya I have cast iron main lines under my house that are failing and need to be replaced. That wouldn't effect the water supply though. For the most part the steel lines ran for plumbing in my house look decent, but there is some nasty corrosion at connections in a few places. The house is 100+ years old and the previous owner was a slumlord who was clearly very cheap. It's a ticking time bomb I need to address.

I have a spectrapure maxcap 5 stage with a chloramine filter. Similar setup. Been thinking of adding an extra carbon. I tapped in where the washer is located...which is very close to the main connection. So minimal steel lines before reaching the RO. I didn't really think of that when I posted before, but I went down to investigate. All the nasty corrosion is after the RO thankfully.

Ah yeah I would definitely add a stage. It's easiest to just add a single stage from BRS in front and toss the sediment filter in there -- that's what I did, and it's why my 5 stage is a 6 stage.

Yeah I may have just been a tad unlucky. This house is about 70 now, and has the original plumbing.

You got this. I have faith in my fellow troublemaker.

Yeah I just don't have any of the fun cool stuff anymore. Might be a slow build back

OP
OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank moved, it was pretty bad.. annoying angry family.. caught the devil tang. My mod buddy, @Daniel@R2R helped a ton, couldn't do it without him and another buddy. Literally and figuratively.

@revhtree was there in spirit.

Here are the remnants of my coral after doing a little glass scraping and tank moving.

IMG_20220129_171945_HDR~2.jpg

IMG_20220129_171932_HDR~2.jpg
IMG_20220129_171813_HDR~2.jpg
IMG_20220129_171915_HDR~2.jpg
IMG_20220129_171754_HDR~2.jpg

And of course, Daniels space invader.

IMG_20220129_172026_HDR~2.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Calcium reactor seemed to get a little messed up in the move..leaking here where it's circled
IMG_20220130_152050_HDR~2.jpg

I hope it's not actually broken.

The new pH probe a member here got me (which made @Daniel@R2R was very happy to hear) arrived broken... Never opened it due to move and yesterday I opened it right in front of Daniel.. the bottom part had disconnected during shipment or was packed badly at the factory I guess.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Calcium reactor seemed to get a little messed up in the move..leaking here where it's circled
IMG_20220130_152050_HDR~2.jpg

I hope it's not actually broken.

The new pH probe a member here got me (which made @Daniel@R2R was very happy to hear) arrived broken... Never opened it due to move and yesterday I opened it right in front of Daniel.. the bottom part had disconnected during shipment or was packed badly at the factory I guess.

I agree, looks like a uniseal and you should be able to replace it. Probably won't be fun, but doable. And man that sucks, I hope they can manage to get you a replacement. :) Great to see most things survived the move intact and I hope the hand heals quickly!

OP
OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, looks like a uniseal and you should be able to replace it. Probably won't be fun, but doable. And man that sucks, I hope they can manage to get you a replacement. :) Great to see most things survived the move intact and I hope the hand heals quickly!

Well the hand was my fault, not too bad honestly.
IMG_20220201_161957.jpg

OP
OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
update: not much to update.

Corals are sad due to no fish. Ill need to get fish eventually.

- ATO is leaking from the bottom, no idea where it broke during move, topping off by hand daily
- Still need the part for the CalRX

Money money money. The thing ill never have much of again

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 102 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.8%
Back