The Garden -- Rakies shallow SPS cube

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a thought for ya. If you have a tub and can do a week or 2 of rock soaking, 500 or so ppm of nitrate melts aiptaisa. It does damage the bio filter, but doesn’t kill it all.

I have been buying out tear downs and doing that to kill aip for years now lol.
What kind of nitrate are you using to elevate?

OP
OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a thought for ya. If you have a tub and can do a week or 2 of rock soaking, 500 or so ppm of nitrate melts aiptaisa. It does damage the bio filter, but doesn’t kill it all.

I have been buying out tear downs and doing that to kill aip for years now lol.

My rock is actually a hand made plate system, so it's essentially some type of plastic, chosen because it's hard for algae to take but somehow SPS just grow onto it like no problem.

Either way... part of me wants them to survive, so the berghia can give me a little income for messing around with the tank. Otherwise, I can blast the plastic with hot water and more for all I care. My biological filter is in the sump, a lot of bio balls that have been around for years.

OP
OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, here it is in all it's glory. It'll look better eventually..

Move is Saturday. Glass will be cleaned before move

IMG_20211217_144205308.jpg

IMG_20220116_103415_HDR.jpg

OP
OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @jhuntstl my tank has been down for a few years due to a back injury, and plumbing problem with the house. There will be a second thread where I fix things, now that i'm a little more capable.

In other news. Tank moves Saturday morning.. Luckily have a few people coming down to help because I can't lift a dang thing with my back.

I'm excited for the first time in a couple years now.. It'll be nice to have some coral again. Was gonna breed some berghia in there to help with setup cost, but now that i"m moving the aiptasia will be scrubbed off. So no berghia food.

I'll be selling my road bike to get the tank back up and going... It's not like I'll be able to use it again.

jhuntstl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @jhuntstl my tank has been down for a few years due to a back injury, and plumbing problem with the house. There will be a second thread where I fix things, now that i'm a little more capable.

In other news. Tank moves Saturday morning.. Luckily have a few people coming down to help because I can't lift a dang thing with my back.

I'm excited for the first time in a couple years now.. It'll be nice to have some coral again.
No judgement here, brother. You don't have to explain yourself. I went from all the confidence in the world to a tank transfer that shattered me. And I looked through your history already. I know you're legit. =)

OP
OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No judgement here, brother. You don't have to explain yourself. I went from all the confidence in the world to a tank transfer that shattered me. And I looked through your history already. I know you're legit. =)

Well, frankly, i'm a HUGE believer in not trusting people who can't show their success -- so it definitely felt appropriate as I gave you my thoughts on flow haha.

Yeah a tank transfer can be rough. It's easy to forget the little things that may happen here or there may have dramatic impacts. A buddy got some new rockwork for his 10-ish year old tank, dug around in the sand a little more than he thought -- tons of stuff melted in a few days from stirring up untouched sand.. He moved like a softball sized bit of sand, that's all it took.

The hobby can be rough!

jhuntstl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, frankly, i'm a HUGE believer in not trusting people who can't show their success -- so it definitely felt appropriate as I gave you my thoughts on flow haha.

Yeah a tank transfer can be rough. It's easy to forget the little things that may happen here or there may have dramatic impacts. A buddy got some new rockwork for his 10-ish year old tank, dug around in the sand a little more than he thought -- tons of stuff melted in a few days from stirring up untouched sand.. He moved like a softball sized bit of sand, that's all it took.

The hobby can be rough!
I am as well. That's why I creep so many successful acropora keepers. Everyone is a little different though, which is what makes this hobby so interesting.

I knew long term my pumps weren't going to cut it. I planned on running them at or near 100% from the start. It's nice to have someone blunt enough to come in to your build thread and express their concerns.

OP
OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I knew long term my pumps weren't going to cut it. I planned on running them at or near 100% from the start. It's nice to have someone blunt enough to come in to your build thread and express their concerns.

Yep. If you can stop someone from making a mistake in this hobby I feel it's our obligation to. That's what turns a forum into a community.

That said not many appreciate my bluntness -- It's just how I think.

jhuntstl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep. If you can stop someone from making a mistake in this hobby I feel it's our obligation to. That's what turns a forum into a community.

That said not many appreciate my bluntness -- It's just how I think.
Folks are way too passive nowadays and unwilling to share their true feelings. Now if you could just DM your CC details so I can afford all the pumps you've suggested. That would be greeeeaaaaaat.

OP
OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Folks are way too passive nowadays and unwilling to share their true feelings. Now if you could just DM your CC details so I can afford all the pumps you've suggested. That would be greeeeaaaaaat.

Sadly yean it's not the cheapest. But if it makes you feel better...

One of my Tunze 6095's is like 15 years old.. works fine. In fact, both of my 2019 pumps from Tunze had a cord issue a few months back -- Hit up tunze and they sent me free replacement motors for both pumps produced in 2019. Hell, they even use magnets that don't create the rust that kills tanks.

The moment there was any problem they solved it free, going above and beyond on a pair of pumps in use since purchased in 2019.

As you noted with the MP10's -- Buy one, cry once.

jhuntstl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly yean it's not the cheapest. But if it makes you feel better...

One of my Tunze 6095's is like 15 years old.. works fine. In fact, both of my 2019 pumps from Tunze had a cord issue a few months back -- Hit up tunze and they sent me free replacement motors for both pumps produced in 2019. Hell, they even use magnets that don't create the rust that kills tanks.

The moment there was any problem they solved it free, going above and beyond on a pair of pumps in use since purchased in 2019.

As you noted with the MP10's -- Buy one, cry once.
Funny enough. When I was responding earlier, I noticed a snail was caught in the mp10 guard. I went to turn on feed mode, so it would fall off and have a 10 minute chance to get away. Well both dry sides hit the floor. My tank is 1/2" everywhere except the back at 3/8. I requested this custom so the mp10s could hold. Doh.

I'm sold pretty quick if it will last and especially so if the company will back it up.

OP
OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny enough. When I was responding earlier, I noticed a snail was caught in the mp10 guard. I went to turn on feed mode, so it would fall off and have a 10 minute chance to get away. Well both dry sides hit the floor. My tank is 1/2" everywhere except the back at 3/8. I requested this custom so the mp10s could hold. Doh.

I'm sold pretty quick if it will last and especially so if the company will back it up.

They'll backup anything officially for about 5 years, but often fix things way outside of support, and keep stock of any items you may need if parts ever break.

jhuntstl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good!

Curious about the plumbing issue you had. You mentioned heavy metals leaching from steel pipes iirc. So much so they were getting past your RODI? The plumbing in my house is a clusterduck of copper and steel. It's been on the list of repairs to make, but always takes a backseat.

OP
OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good!

Curious about the plumbing issue you had. You mentioned heavy metals leaching from steel pipes iirc. So much so they were getting past your RODI? The plumbing in my house is a clusterduck of copper and steel. It's been on the list of repairs to make, but always takes a backseat.

You know, my family didn't believe there was a plumbing problem, and it got worse, and worse... Until one day pipes under the house started bursting, and spewing sewage everywhere -- They didn't believe me still... By this point the tank had been long dead, and I had started making water somewhere else.

The pipes here are about 70 years old, galvanized steel pipe -- which has all kinds of goodies like lead in it... I have no idea what got through but it was far too late overnight after doing a LARGE water change... It was dramatically worse overnight. That's when I figured out it must be the source water.

6 stage spectrapure maxcap RODI. 0 TDS rock solid, tested with multiple TDS meters. Always use PenTek Chlorplus for chlorine/chloramines which I absolutely have.. I never wanted my water to be the problem. I bought the best everything money could buy. I replaced all the filters just in case and started making water at my parents house.

It's been fine since.. Gonna do a nice 100% water change saturday when I move this thing anyways so we'll see how that goes!

jhuntstl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know, my family didn't believe there was a plumbing problem, and it got worse, and worse... Until one day pipes under the house started bursting, and spewing sewage everywhere -- They didn't believe me still... By this point the tank had been long dead, and I had started making water somewhere else.

The pipes here are about 70 years old, galvanized steel pipe -- which has all kinds of goodies like lead in it... I have no idea what got through but it was far too late overnight after doing a LARGE water change... It was dramatically worse overnight. That's when I figured out it must be the source water.

6 stage spectrapure maxcap RODI. 0 TDS rock solid, tested with multiple TDS meters. Always use PenTek Chlorplus for chlorine/chloramines which I absolutely have.. I never wanted my water to be the problem. I bought the best everything money could buy. I replaced all the filters just in case and started making water at my parents house.

It's been fine since.. Gonna do a nice 100% water change saturday when I move this thing anyways so we'll see how that goes!
Ya I have cast iron main lines under my house that are failing and need to be replaced. That wouldn't effect the water supply though. For the most part the steel lines ran for plumbing in my house look decent, but there is some nasty corrosion at connections in a few places. The house is 100+ years old and the previous owner was a slumlord who was clearly very cheap. It's a ticking time bomb I need to address.

I have a spectrapure maxcap 5 stage with a chloramine filter. Similar setup. Been thinking of adding an extra carbon. I tapped in where the washer is located...which is very close to the main connection. So minimal steel lines before reaching the RO. I didn't really think of that when I posted before, but I went down to investigate. All the nasty corrosion is after the RO thankfully.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 19 30.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 82.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.1%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.8%
Back