OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am very interested in seeing you do this. Do you know if you can see eggs? I have no idea if the AEFW lay eggs in the same place all the time but watching to see if eggs disappear might show the adults are dying.

I can't find any eggs but they're somewhere!

The whole idea is not only does it kill those alive, but two doses in the first week destroy the breeding cycle. Then they take about 14 days to reach sexual maturity, and about 6-8 days to hatch. So the two follow up treatments kill them before they can breed. By the third week it should be completely eradicated. I'll probably dose 4 weeks just to see..

I used a product you might get in the States, Dettol over here is a household disinfectant, kills most things but I still have to watch for eggs hatching if I miss them.

What makes this special is it's an in-tank treatment. Melafix is a nice dip, but really I need a mini coral QT at this point... Like a 10 gallon QT.

OP
OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_20180726_103216272_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180726_103242974_HDR.jpg

OP
OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far, it's working as advertised. They were so open about the product I had faith in it, but man... It worked as advertised. Everything looks good, zero bad reactions, zero unhappy animals (except the AEFW flying around the water). Seems 100% legit.

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far, it's working as advertised. They were so open about the product I had faith in it, but man... It worked as advertised. Everything looks good, zero bad reactions, zero unhappy animals (except the AEFW flying around the water). Seems 100% legit.

I tried to follow some of the announce thread, but I didn't see mention of other Flatworms. Do you know if it works on other worms?

OP
OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I took some pictures. Here's some positive news!

iiuuquyqtqtghququqjqkqqjuqhqkqkqkIMG_0004.jpg

Space Invader
iiuuquyqtqtghququqjqkqqjuqhqkqkqkIMG_0009.jpg

Some type of Granulosa
iiuuquyqtqtghququqjqkqqjuqhqkqkqkIMG_0013.jpg

CB Maleficent
iiuuquyqtqtghququqjqkqqjuqhqkqkqkIMG_0014.jpg

JF TDF (I believe it's a JF version..)
iiuuquyqtqtghququqjqkqqjuqhqkqkqkIMG_0015.jpg

PC Superman
iiuuquyqtqtghququqjqkqqjuqhqkqkqkIMG_0018.jpg

PC Rainvow
iiuuquyqtqtghququqjqkqqjuqhqkqkqkIMG_0020.jpg

RRU "Strawberry Fields"
iiuuquyqtqtghququqjqkqqjuqhqkqkqkIMG_0021.jpg

Vivid Wolverine (dead center)
iiuuquyqtqtghququqjqkqqjuqhqkqkqkIMG_0024.jpg

Vivid Tequila Sunrise
iiuuquyqtqtghququqjqkqqjuqhqkqkqkIMG_0026.jpg

CB The Beast
iiuuquyqtqtghququqjqkqqjuqhqkqkqkIMG_0027.jpg

SSC (not a hyperberry! -_-)
iiuuquyqtqtghququqjqkqqjuqhqkqkqkIMG_0032.jpg

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found your thread here on R2R.

Like the Growth Time COmpare photos. I always like to see what is possible when things are going well with SPS.
Maybe someday I'll get to see what a fully encrusted Plug looks like :) (besides the ones I bought fully encrusted :( ).

Good luck with your AEFW treatment. Hope it zaps them once and for good.

OP
OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I already started melafix dipping so it'll go away now that there aren't any bits of encrusted SPS on the rocks. Easy peasy -- it just requires a 100% restart to eliminate. Removal / replacement of all sand, and rock. Zero exceptions.

The UWC treatment didn't work, and I'm not going to sit around testing a product and letting my infestation grow. it had its shot, it failed, I've moved on instantly. UWC did want some samples but as soon as treatment showed it didn't work, they were dipped within the hour. Again -- I wasn't testing out that treatment out of the kindness of my heart. I was trying to eliminate something which prompted a 100% tank restart to get rid of.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, @bubbaque

Well,
Our AC bit the dust. We looked into a full "air ex-changer" with the new unit.
But... It would have broke our town home's covenant to install one.

:(

OP
OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't been following the UWC thread. What did they want samples of? How long was the treatment suppose to last?

They wanted my actual AEFW to test on. There's more than one species. Thankfully other people have also not had success with the product as well, and should be sending AEFW in.

As for me -- It was too late, I moved on literally instantly and nuked them in a melafix dip.

As for the treatment, people are not grasping how it works. The treatment is to last 21 days. Now that's confusing people, because they somehow think that means AEFW should be alive and kicking for upto 21 days... no, no, no, no... no. They are supposed to die within 24 hours. The 21 days is so that all freshly hatched AEFW (which can take upwards of 21 days to hatch) die instantly.

If a single AEFW survives the initial dose -- then it doesn't work. Because that means they will be alive, and laying eggs, which will hatch far beyond the "21 day" treatment.

This seems to be the most complicated subject in the world for some people.. They just keep saying "But, but... 21 days. It doesn't matter if you don't dose for 21 days !" -- frankly, it drove me batty trying to explain it to people. If any AEFW survive the first dose -- The product failed. It's entire purpose is to disrupt breeding, and be dosed long enough for eggs laid THAT DAY to hatch, and die. If the AEFW survive even a few days longer than the first dose -- The product did not disrupt breeding, and will not kill the AEFW off.

There can be zero survivors within 24 hours, or the product didn't work. That's how it was designed, and explained to me personally by UWC.

/rant LOL

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, @bubbaque

Well,
Our AC bit the dust. We looked into a full "air ex-changer" with the new unit.
But... It would have broke our town home's covenant to install one.

:(
Mine wasn't the whole house one but was installed directly above my tank. The most it raised my ph was .05 :(. The co2 scrubber helped a ton!

They wanted my actual AEFW to test on. There's more than one species. Thankfully other people have also not had success with the product as well, and should be sending AEFW in.

As for me -- It was too late, I moved on literally instantly and nuked them in a melafix dip.

As for the treatment, people are not grasping how it works. The treatment is to last 21 days. Now that's confusing people, because they somehow think that means AEFW should be alive and kicking for upto 21 days... no, no, no, no... no. They are supposed to die within 24 hours. The 21 days is so that all freshly hatched AEFW (which can take upwards of 21 days to hatch) die instantly.

If a single AEFW survives the initial dose -- then it doesn't work. Because that means they will be alive, and laying eggs, which will hatch far beyond the "21 day" treatment.

This seems to be the most complicated subject in the world for some people.. They just keep saying "But, but... 21 days. It doesn't matter if you don't dose for 21 days !" -- frankly, it drove me batty trying to explain it to people. If any AEFW survive the first dose -- The product failed. It's entire purpose is to disrupt breeding, and be dosed long enough for eggs laid THAT DAY to hatch, and die. If the AEFW survive even a few days longer than the first dose -- The product did not disrupt breeding, and will not kill the AEFW off.

There can be zero survivors within 24 hours, or the product didn't work. That's how it was designed, and explained to me personally by UWC.

/rant LOL
That 100% makes sense to me. They seemed so confident that it worked. It's sad to hear it doesn't.

OP
OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh trust me I was hoping it did too. It was only weeks from being released and in their trials 100% effective. It was literally a complete shock to them that it didn't work for someone out there. Otherwise the product would have been released in probably 3-ish weeks. They definitely didn't see this coming unfortunately.

But, it's not their fault. They were nothing but 100% upfront and honest about every question I had.

Just didn't work out, and because I'm not looking to harbor these little guys I nuked them right away with Melafix afterwards.

It's a shame, but UWC was totally transparent, open, and honest about all of it. Maybe it just needs a little tweak and it'll be back to working as it had in their private study! I'm still hopeful for everyone else :D

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too bad the treatment wasn't a Quick Miracle fix.

A Melafix and 100% restart will bring you peace of mind and less waiting and hoping, and possibly a disappointment at the end (Lost Time).

Everyone's tank is different. Good example is... Folks were telling me Polyp Lab Medic wouldn't cure my ICH. But it worked for me, and others. But didn't work for some. The method of treatment is key in many treatments.
Looks like UWC need to fine tune things, and provide 100% Crisp Treatment instructions.

OP
OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too bad the treatment wasn't a Quick Miracle fix.

A Melafix and 100% restart will bring you peace of mind and less waiting and hoping, and possibly a disappointment at the end (Lost Time).

Everyone's tank is different. Good example is... Folks were telling me Polyp Lab Medic wouldn't cure my ICH. But it worked for me, and others. But didn't work for some. The method of treatment is key in many treatments.
Looks like UWC need to fine tune things, and provide 100% Crisp Treatment instructions.

Yep. I definitely wished it were -- Alas, is not.

So I threw out 11 mini colonies after cutting off the growth and giving them to a friend. They're happily in QT right now for him, and should be AEFW free. They were nice enough to hang onto even though they browned out a bit under lower light.. Maybe they'll recover in my friends tank. Maybe not. Either way, I handed them out like disease riddled candy and keeping them alive isn't my job anymore lol.

So back to dippin' with Rakie

DSC_0081.jpg

DSC_0082.jpg

They never seem to look too special under yellow desk lamps, but it's just them marinating in melafix anyways.

And here's a buddies non-coral tank. It's a standard 120, and this is the view from the right side. It came out surprisingly nice so I figured lets throw it on. He doesn't post or have a thread here or anything.

DSC_0070.jpg

Otherwise -- Dipping is good. Killed a ton of AEFW today. I'll be doing another dip in a few days to catch any freshly hatched stragglers then one a week for 6-8 weeks.. Then maybe I can finally plant some corals in long term locations for the first time since march!

OP
OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why did you give them away instead of continuing to dip them?

Too many non-important corals. I just didn't want them. They were all wild stuff that browned out when I had to rip everything off the rocks. I'm very happy to have gotten rid of them. I've probably got another 4-5 I could toss right now.

I'm trying to weed out my collection significantly. If it's not a very valuable piece, I have no room for it.

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice Non-coral tank. I see some of my favorites there.

I hear you on flushing out some old unwanted stock so that your Tank space and attention goes to the good stuff.

All the best on your dipping.

I guess once you get thru this Nothing will ever enter your systems without close inspection and double dips.

You got me into dipping everything going into my new tank, cutting off the frags from plug and putting on new plugs..... even healthy looking frags coming from trusted tanks.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back