The Garden -- Rakies shallow SPS cube

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone in a wrasse thread once said they were afraid to go BB, but once they did their wrasse adjusted in like two days and happily sleeps in a nook in the rockwork like all the fish do.

Perhaps we coddle our critters too much. I suspect in many cases they would surprise us with their ability to adapt.

OP
OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps we coddle our critters too much. I suspect in many cases they would surprise us with their ability to adapt.

We do, I have thought the same many times. I've read more than a few people say they had fish with particular living habits, that get on just fine when their ideal conditions are taken from them -- be it sand, overhangs and shadowy areas, lower flow, etc etc.

I think he would be fine, so long as I create enough places for them to hunker down for the night. I don't think that'll be too much trouble with the rock i've got available.

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We do, I have thought the same many times. I've read more than a few people say they had fish with particular living habits, that get on just fine when their ideal conditions are taken from them -- be it sand, overhangs and shadowy areas, lower flow, etc etc.

I think he would be fine, so long as I create enough places for them to hunker down for the night. I don't think that'll be too much trouble with the rock i've got available.

Well, you did just build a fish hotel. :)

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My leopard wrasse doesn't like his new hotel room lol. It was a little sad watching him stare at it trying, to figure things out.

I still think bare bottom is best. I really see no benefit to sand in a display. Fresh or marine. Most use it for aesthetic reasons I presume and that is definitely a valid reason. But sand in a box does not perform like sand in the ocean. In fact it may be a drag on the system that requires additional work and resources.

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I somehow managed to get the two nicest full tank shots I've ever gotten today. A little dark, but no added saturation at all in any of my pictures, this included.

Tank is a little cloudy 'cause the leopard is convinced somewhere there's a 3" sand bed lol..

yqueitpfkdhsgdjgloruywgdjfihIMG_0006.jpg

yqueitpfkdhsgdjgloruywgdjfihIMG_0007.jpg

OP
OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rockwork and Sand gone. New rock in. Bare Bottom.

The rocks on the glass are flat rocks laying on the PVC legs. It gives all the fish a few more caves to hide in and doesn't disrupt flow much. Fish seem content. The leopard wrasse is having a blast exploring everything. They all seem to love the big cave. It's done exactly what I wanted -- given all the fish more room to swim, while simultaneously giving me more room for coral. Win/Win.

None of the coral are placed yet, i'm waiting for the UWC AEFW killer to ship. I am getting it early, I will be posting an honest review. But UWC being happy with a review and willingly giving it out to people who are in dire need of it definitely passes the sniff test... Companies with something to hide don't look forward to reviews.

Anywho...

Front
ututiuieiewowowoeieirfhjfjdkkdsdjjfIMG_0009.jpg

Right Side
ututiuieiewowowoeieirfhjfjdkkdsdjjfIMG_0001.jpg

The Right side is my typical view of the tank (from my desk). The pictures aren't great, the new rock is pretty white, as is the plastic reef welder on the PVC, and of course the bits of PVC itself showing.

I used a bit of sand paper on the PVC prior to allow algae and coralline to grow. I'm guessing the exposed bit will look ugly for a month or two, and the bottom parts that get little light will look ugly for 3-6 months. But I don't really care... If you can't wait 6 months for something you're in the WRONG hobby.

Speaking of... My corals been on the frag rack for 1/4 year, getting mercilessly fragged to keep it from overgrowing one another. It'll be nice to finely give them some space to breathe. Just gotta wait for that UWC to show up, and see if the first dose does as advertised. If it does as it should, and AEFW fly off immediately upon first dose, I'll be placing corals that day :)

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rockwork and Sand gone. New rock in. Bare Bottom.

The rocks on the glass are flat rocks laying on the PVC legs. It gives all the fish a few more caves to hide in and doesn't disrupt flow much. Fish seem content. The leopard wrasse is having a blast exploring everything. They all seem to love the big cave. It's done exactly what I wanted -- given all the fish more room to swim, while simultaneously giving me more room for coral. Win/Win.

None of the coral are placed yet, i'm waiting for the UWC AEFW killer to ship. I am getting it early, I will be posting an honest review. But UWC being happy with a review and willingly giving it out to people who are in dire need of it definitely passes the sniff test... Companies with something to hide don't look forward to reviews.

Anywho...

Front
ututiuieiewowowoeieirfhjfjdkkdsdjjfIMG_0009.jpg

Right Side
ututiuieiewowowoeieirfhjfjdkkdsdjjfIMG_0001.jpg

The Right side is my typical view of the tank (from my desk). The pictures aren't great, the new rock is pretty white, as is the plastic reef welder on the PVC, and of course the bits of PVC itself showing.

I used a bit of sand paper on the PVC prior to allow algae and coralline to grow. I'm guessing the exposed bit will look ugly for a month or two, and the bottom parts that get little light will look ugly for 3-6 months. But I don't really care... If you can't wait 6 months for something you're in the WRONG hobby.

Speaking of... My corals been on the frag rack for 1/4 year, getting mercilessly fragged to keep it from overgrowing one another. It'll be nice to finely give them some space to breathe. Just gotta wait for that UWC to show up, and see if the first dose does as advertised. If it does as it should, and AEFW fly off immediately upon first dose, I'll be placing corals that day :)
Once all the white gets covered it will look real nice. Are you one of the people they are sending samples out to?

OP
OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
giphy.gif

Would not hurt to dose some microbacter7 to seed the structure, since the sand is gone.

The structure has been seeded for 2-3 months in a 50g rubber made tub! But I did put in some AF Bio S, and MB7 also.

Additionally, I have 4L of Seachem Matrix in my tank, 2L was in for 3 months now, and the last 2 liters is about 6 weeks old.

Once all the white gets covered it will look real nice. Are you one of the people they are sending samples out to?

Yep. It'll ship monday.

I'm not entirely sure I'm supposed to say anything, but they didn't ask me not to... Either way, my thread doesn't get a ton of traffic while everything was in timeout on the frag rack, so very few people will take notice lol.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back