The Garden -- Rakies shallow SPS cube

ReeferBean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They were labelled as Ventralis by QM I thought? It would be a female bimac then, doesn't look like the parvirostris. The females look like juvi ventralis to me, I think you're right!

Ah well, she's a bit big for my tank and a bit aggressive so I won't feel bad giving it away then.

I was the one who secured the donations for the club tank. I have the list. [emoji4]

Hook me up! I ended up with two but could use a third one to displace the aggression.

OP
OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was the one who secured the donations for the club tank. I have the list. [emoji4]

Hook me up! I ended up with two but could use a third one to displace the aggression.

Well next time secure some ventralis, they don't get as big :D (I think...) But yeah, soon as I catch the brat she'll be thrown into the frag tank until you can come get her. Shame, she's healthy, eating like a pig possessed, and very colorful. Just a wee bit big and aggressive.

Update on the CaRx: I need calcium reactor media, a co2 tank, and a pH monitor and it's ready. Piece of piece, bit by bit, lol.

Update on Algae: Added ReefHD Reef Flux on Monday, currently at a 2x dose for bubble algae, I have another bottle coming to bring it up to a 4x dose as needed.

Last edited:

dodgerblew

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_3774.JPG

This is beautiful, I mean beautiful! Ventralis Anthias are very difficult. If you say it's eating like a pig, then it's probably not a Ventralis. They're pretty small too and prefer cooler water. If you're looking for a new home for it, lmk

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool. Nice Saw, I want one, but I have to try that Dremel idea you gave me.

I also like your idea to use small tubes of Super Glue.

I buy the bigger Squeeze Bottles, and before they are empty tips are plugged, or glue is crusty inside.
Also I learned that Super Glue has a limited shelf life. So fresh smaller bottles is the way to go.

And tell your friend his Frag Tank looks great. That big Frag/mini-Colony in the Center I guess is the EFFLO
His tank look Bright White. Maybe MH?

Volcom6981

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So added a Tunze 6040 pump to the tank, it really fills the void I wasn't getting from two pumps alone. Really liking it. It's so effective just by adding that third pump, I've had to dial my pumps back from 100% to 75%. Overall, I'm using less flow than I was just an hour ago, but that third pump just made flow get where it couldn't before. Love it. Fish are all happily swimming around.

I don't care what anybody says, fish love flow too lol
Curious how you like the Tunze 6040 pump? I take it you got the controllable one then as well?

Also what all power heads do you have in the tank. I have the same 24x24 but mine is much shallower, and have two vortechs in there now, looking to add another powerhead of some sort.

OP
OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious how you like the Tunze 6040 pump? I take it you got the controllable one then as well?

Also what all power heads do you have in the tank. I have the same 24x24 but mine is much shallower, and have two vortechs in there now, looking to add another powerhead of some sort.
I love the 6040. The 6040 comes with the controller, the 6020 is the one that is not controllable. The flow is a little narrow because it's so small, but have it pointed towards another pump and it's pure chaos in a good way.

I'm running 1 tunze 6040, 2 Tunze 6095, and my return is a tunze 1073.2 which is kind of small.

I'm running about 6000gph or so in my tank.

OP
OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool. Nice Saw, I want one, but I have to try that Dremel idea you gave me.

I also like your idea to use small tubes of Super Glue.

I buy the bigger Squeeze Bottles, and before they are empty tips are plugged, or glue is crusty inside.
Also I learned that Super Glue has a limited shelf life. So fresh smaller bottles is the way to go.

And tell your friend his Frag Tank looks great. That big Frag/mini-Colony in the Center I guess is the EFFLO
His tank look Bright White. Maybe MH?
That's my friends display tank just looks packed haha. It's actually fully LED lit!

OP
OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moved and rearranged frags, a bunch going up for sale soon.

c35311e7536666ce2115c418251f1b77.jpg

Just some zoas for now. Been letting my SPS have a long needed rest from fragging.. they're finally growing little arms again lol.

Calcium reactor is almost 100% assembled. Just need the co2 tank now.

Somehow after dosing nitrates like mad and getting my no3 to 20, I hadn't tested in a bit, and it bottomed out at zero again. Back to dosing kno3 and po4.

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moved and rearranged frags, a bunch going up for sale soon
c35311e7536666ce2115c418251f1b77.jpg

Just some zoas for now. Been letting my SPS have a long needed rest from fragging.. they're finally growing little arms again lol.
Calcium reactor is almost 100% assembled. Just need the co2 tank now.
Somehow after dosing nitrates like mad and getting my no3 to 20, I hadn't tested in a bit, and it bottomed out at zero again. Back to dosing kno3 and po4.

Those frags are looking so ready to fly a small 8,500 miles. Lol

Amazing how your nitrates drop.

OP
OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those frags are looking so ready to fly a small 8,500 miles. Lol

Amazing how your nitrates drop.
My corals eat it all up. Added a huge fish, feeding 5-6x a day cuz that huge fish is a food dumpster, polyplabs every 2 days... No3 and po4 at zero.

I've got 10 fish in a 50 cube. I have even had my skimmer cup off for a week.

My only guess is when the bubble algae showed up it sucked up all the remaining nutrients..

But even before the BA I've had low nutrient problems

OP
OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got 15 zoa frags I'm looking to get rid of. That'll help a little...

In other news, I desperately need a larger frag tank... Lol.

I've still got 5-6 colonies of zoa's I need to frag into singles, which won't help with my space issues

Volcom6981

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you just running the one Radion over the tank? How do you feel the one radion works over a 24x24 tank? Also how high do you have your mounted above the water line

Elegance Coral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome build thread.........

Slightly bad news. The guardian of the shower is no more.

Today, we remember Herbert -- My shower spider. Herbert lived with me in the shower for about 2 months, the longest shower spider I've ever kept. He was survived by hot shower mist, the occasional wet q-tip, and about 3-4 ants per day. And like two gnats one time.

My entire house was flooded with ants this summer. And like a superhero, Herbert showed up to murder them quietly in the night. Herbert is now in the great yard in the sky, pal'ing around with @Amoo's old guinea birds.

Web on you magnificent *******

DSC_026401.jpg

Herbert should have been Harriet. That's a female black/brown widow spider. In Southern California, it's likely a brown widow.
While the bite usually isn't deadly for healthy adults, it can still seriously mess up your day.
It's capable of leaving nasty scars or even amputation of toes or fingers. They can be life threatening for young children, dogs, cats, the elderly, and those with compromised immune systems.
I love nature and animals as much, or more, than the next guy, but I don't think I'd be sharing my shower with this lady.
Peace
EC

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 150 88.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back