OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not sure if I missed this but have you tried emerald crabs?

I have 4 in my DT and they loved bubble algae when I had it, I cant find any bubble alage anywhere in my tank anymore.

Nah I'm afraid of them eating my slow guppy sized gobies. They'd swim right into his mouth :( lol

OP
OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Makes sense, well hopefully you can figure something out thats easy!

I'm gonna give it a manual scrub. If it worked for my club member with a 400g tank and like 500lbs of rock, it can work in a 50 cube with like 12lbs of rock

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm gonna give it a manual scrub. If it worked for my club member with a 400g tank and like 500lbs of rock, it can work in a 50 cube with like 12lbs of rock

500lbs of rock to scrub... I would just throw in the towel and look for another hobby.

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you had good success?

@drawman yeah how was your experience with vibrant?

A friend of mine had used vibrant but ended up getting Dino's from it. Makes me nervous!
It worked great for bubble algae. What I've found is it creates space for the next algae to take over in the right scenario. For me that was eventually a nasty form of hair algae and for some dinos. That said no trace of bubble algae ;Joyful

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, I’m not that old... Am I?

No worries, Greg
Still waiting for Rakie to fire up his GEO...

tumblr_o4d9xed1OJ1s2wio8o1_500.gif

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I went with the elbow grease option over dosing as well in fear of complications down stream cuz of it.

Did a big water change into a rubbermaid container. Removed all corals to sand bed, and worked my way across the tank 2 rocks at a time. Scrubbed the f out of every nook and cranny, rinsed thoroughly, and replaced.

3 hours for me with 120lbs of rock. It should only take u 1 hour max.

Knocked it way back.

Decreased my whites from 28% to under 18% on my hydra26hds. And overall up time down 2 hours.

Then I increased chaeto fuge lighting from 12 to 15hours. Cut feeding in half, stopped amino acid and reef roids for 2 weeks and I have a few pockets left, but it appears the lack of nutrients in the water column, and lowered lighting combined with everything else all at once stopped it dead in its tracks.

Next week I've got a 5" starry blenny coming out of QT... he will take care of what's left I'm sure.

Lemme know how you went about it and I'm curious to see if u manage the same success as me. Good luck, be ready for some jello arms.

OP
OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it shouldn't be too bad to scrub it off lol. I will have a nice large water change ready for it.

I did have issues downstream from dosing chems. I now have Dino's again -- but I know how to kill them and they are dying. But so are my zoas.
No worries, Greg
Still waiting for Rakie to fire up his GEO...

tumblr_o4d9xed1OJ1s2wio8o1_500.gif
I had a friend offer to swing by on Tuesday, so it should be up and running then.

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it shouldn't be too bad to scrub it off lol. I will have a nice large water change ready for it.

I did have issues downstream from dosing chems. I now have Dino's again -- but I know how to kill them and they are dying. But so are my zoas.I had a friend offer to swing by on Tuesday, so it should be up and running then.

I am pretty mind made up that dosing needs to be the last option type of scenario. Too many mixed results from people in different tanks.

It's like being worried about meds these days...

"Headache?" Here, take this. Itll help the headache. But you might end up with 25 new symptoms as a result!

OP
OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Geo is up and running. It needs some slight tweaking to get it dialed in but after a crash course on how they work and a friend helping set it up it's alive.

The needle valve needs to be adjusted or replaced, and I need a small 1/4" gate valve to adjust the effluent.
9b1a6069321736e9e32ce8763697fed8.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 161 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back