The Garden -- Rakies shallow SPS cube

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't use R2R anymore. I don't like the community here, I wish to be left alone utterly and completely and will abstain from any and all conversation related to reefing.
First. Sorry to hear such a negative response.

1) Someone Hacked Rakie's account ( I hope that's the case)
2) He had a downturn on Tank/Corals and in a rut ( Understandable, I've wanted to give up many times)
3) Someone on this Forum got to Rakie ( Hope things clear up)
4) Maybe a new Job, New Girlfriend, New Hobby (Time to move on to better things...Reefing isn' the only thing in life)
5) A PERSONAL ISSUE (NONE OF OUR BUSINESS). Understandable. Hurts those who care, and I've learn to accept/let-people-be.

All I can say is we've enjoyed Rakie, in good days, and bad days, no matter what.

Hope you come back when the time is right.

If not. All the best. Maybe PM's those you trust with a Proper Goodbye, or explanation.

Last edited:

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well.. I guess I assumed it was a joke. In reality, it appears to be legit.

Sorry for the poor humor. Hope we cross paths in one form or another again sometime. You helped me a lot. And I wish I could show off my sps progress which I owe much of to your invaluable knowledge. Was always a good chat, cheers sir.

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't use R2R anymore. I don't like the community here, I wish to be left alone utterly and completely and will abstain from any and all conversation related to reefing.

Soon there will be no forums left for you...
But hey, this is your thread. We can always talk politics or planted tanks if reefing is out of the question.
Good luck

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry you are feeling put out. I have appreciated your thread and responses elsewhere. In fact that is how I ended up here. Wish you well wherever you go!

OP
OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here's what happened, and here's what got me bummed out too much to even bother spending time here.

Things have gone completely down hill with my tank and for the first time ever, I had no clue why. Anything I did had zero impact, including testing. Literally a few days ago I got my answer... I've come to find out it's heavy metal toxicity -- Apparently the galvanized steel piping in my old house was both standard, and a horrible choice. When this house was built the idea with galvanized steel was 'who cares, that'll be a problem in 50 years !'. Well it's been 70 years and now we care lol.

The breaking up of galvanized steel leeches tremendous amounts of heavy metals, most of which isn't tested for by ICP tests, therefor we will get no reading on them from what I've been told (This may or may not be completely accurate).

Our pipes are starting to implode, our water started coming out a tanish brown about a year ago, and then all our sinks, faucets, toilets, showers, and even outdoor hoses started growing orange and black fungus/mold, which were feeding off the rust and other metals coming from our pipes -- or so said our plumber.

I sent in an ICP test and they lost the dang thing... And after a slow decline I straight up gave up. Have all my corals being watched by a friend while I try and figure things out.

It took until 2 days ago, now I know the answer. Our pipes are leaking toxic metals into our water at an alarming rate. The pipes have degraded to the point of literally bursting or just imploding/falling apart. The house is getting re-plumbed though in a matter of weeks, and then I will do a 100% water change, and completely change out my RODI filters. Then i'll try out some tester frags and see how things go.

nickkohrn

Corals for President 2020
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here's what happened, and here's what got me bummed out too much to even bother spending time here.

Things have gone completely down hill with my tank and for the first time ever, I had no clue why. Anything I did had zero impact, including testing. Literally a few days ago I got my answer... I've come to find out it's heavy metal toxicity -- Apparently the galvanized steel piping in my old house was both standard, and a horrible choice. When this house was built the idea with galvanized steel was 'who cares, that'll be a problem in 50 years !'. Well it's been 70 years and now we care lol.

The breaking up of galvanized steel leeches tremendous amounts of heavy metals, most of which isn't tested for by ICP tests, therefor we will get no reading on them from what I've been told (This may or may not be completely accurate).

Our pipes are starting to implode, our water started coming out a tanish brown about a year ago, and then all our sinks, faucets, toilets, showers, and even outdoor hoses started growing orange and black fungus/mold, which were feeding off the rust and other metals coming from our pipes -- or so said our plumber.

I sent in an ICP test and they lost the dang thing... And after a slow decline I straight up gave up. Have all my corals being watched by a friend while I try and figure things out.

It took until 2 days ago, now I know the answer. Our pipes are leaking toxic metals into our water at an alarming rate. The pipes have degraded to the point of literally bursting or just imploding/falling apart. The house is getting re-plumbed though in a matter of weeks, and then I will do a 100% water change, and completely change out my RODI filters. Then i'll try out some tester frags and see how things go.
Oh, man. That’s awful. I’m sorry that happened, but I’m glad that you found the issue. What a hassle.

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm happy to see you back, mortified at your situation, and relieved to hear you were able to rehome your collection in the meantime while u straighten out the plumbing. I jumped out of my skin when I saw ur name pop up in my feed. Heres to a better new year and finally getting some answers man.

Cheers.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man that SUCKS! I hear a lot of horror stories here at home about old piping.
BTW this week in the news Hexa-Chromium leaking on our roads, Drains into Great Lakes
1578341161255.png

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 43.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back