The Modified Black Box Thread

Reef AquaCult

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An easy way I found to help the blending and fixing disco ball was to install a panel of 3/8” acrylic for the top and lightly sand it. You can sand it to your liking. It decreased my par by 10-20% but I think it’s worth it. You don’t need to modify the lenses at all so you don’t have to open the light! You can purchase 3/8” acrylic at a local acrylic shop and they will probably cut it for you. They might have some drops which would be cheaper.

ascheff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An easy way I found to help the blending and fixing disco ball was to install a panel of 3/8” acrylic for the top and lightly sand it. You can sand it to your liking. It decreased my par by 10-20% but I think it’s worth it. You don’t need to modify the lenses at all so you don’t have to open the light! You can purchase 3/8” acrylic at a local acrylic shop and they will probably cut it for you. They might have some drops which would be cheaper.

I have tested my lights using an opaque glass diffuser with the lenses removed, which does help with blending without much reduction in PAR compared to no lenses and clear glass.

I didn't however think it would have a useful effect with the lenses, since the lenses sit almost on the glass and I expect a bit of space is needed between the diffuser and individual light sources to blend the colors.

Reef AquaCult

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have tested my lights using an opaque glass diffuser with the lenses removed, which does help with blending without much reduction in PAR compared to no lenses and clear glass.

I didn't however think it would have a useful effect with the lenses, since the lenses sit almost on the glass and I expect a bit of space is needed between the diffuser and individual light sources to blend the colors.
My lights are about 8 inches above the sanded acrylic so you might be right about that.

Reefs of Space

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went to swap out some diodes on my new 300w MarsAqua. After taking off the lenses I realized these aren't the 45mil epistars. It seems they got rid of the zener diodes too. So, now if one goes out the whole board goes out? And I can't just resolder a new epistar in. How is this an upgrade?

20191017_191506.jpg Screenshot_20191017-191011(1)(1).png

Reefs of Space

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was helping a member here about led diode layouts for the Mars aqua black boxes, come to find out that the new ones that are being sold have a totally different board on them with different diode chips.

IMG_20190716_104821.jpg

This will make them more difficult to modify. Thoughts?
It looks like they got rid of the zener diodes too. Hopefull the whole board doesn't stop working when one burns out.

o0jmadr0x0o

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I broke one of the smd leds when removing the lenses. I was able to solder in a 3w epistar. So, not a total loss. I haven't found any reef spectrum smd diodes for sale.

20191018_154334.jpg 20191018_154254_HDR-01.jpg
Hey I had the same problem, broke a chip trying to remove the lense.
Any more info on how you repaired it?
how did you remove the old chip?
How were you able to tell what side was positive/negative?
did you have to scratch away the black paint?
TIA

Reefs of Space

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I had the same problem, broke a chip trying to remove the lense.
Any more info on how you repaired it?
how did you remove the old chip?
How were you able to tell what side was positive/negative?
did you have to scratch away the black paint?
TIA
I filed a screwdriver down to pry off the SMDs. I needed to tap the back of the screwdriver with another one the knock off the diode.

20191021_174406.jpg 20191021_174450.jpg

Reefs of Space

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to scratch the black coating off to expose the positive and negative copper onlays. You have to offset it from where the SMD was. The bottom of the new led will make the connection on the tiny positive and negative and bypass the new led.

20191021_172443(1).jpg 20191021_172257(1).jpg 20191021_180536(1).jpg

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, would the traces fit if one uses a thermal pad (electrically isolate the new diode from the old lead) so as to keep the lens geometry the same?

o0jmadr0x0o

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OMG I got it to work!!!!
I have never even used it, its been sitting in my fish closet broken for 2 months. I was just procrastinating throwing it out!

Thank you very much
Reefs Of Space!!

Reefs of Space

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OMG I got it to work!!!!
I have never even used it, its been sitting in my fish closet broken for 2 months. I was just procrastinating throwing it out!

Thank you very much
Reefs Of Space!!
You're welcome! It's a good feeling when you see the rest of that board light up

Reefs of Space

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I installed an old burned out diode to see if the rest of the board would still work if one burns out. And it does! It just won't work if you accidentally break one.

Pyrosteve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally got a chance to swap some LEDs. My BB had the board siliconed in and the diodes had thermal adhesive instead of paste which made it harder that I thought but really happy with the results. Much better. I added 6-20Ks, 5-420mn (3 on white and 2 on blue channel), 3-cyan 490mn and 3-6500Ks in the place of 6-2700Ks, 2 reds, 6-14Ks & 2-450s. I tried to take off all the lenses but way too much light spill in the room so I just took them off the red, green and cyan. The blend/spread is way better and less disco but still some shimmer. Here's a before and after...

0918191435_HDR_resized.jpg

1012191931a_HDR.jpg

I bought a diffuser from HD and was going to cut it and use some magnets to attach it to the outside light but I don't think it's needed. Thanks to this thread!

Heabel7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I played with this way more than I should have. I've removed no lenses, some lenses, and all lenses, with and without diffusers. Finally settled on removing all lenses and adding diffusers.

This severely limits the max PAR I can achieve (200 is max now vs >300 with lenses) but has helped a lot with hot spots. I'm currently riding the theory that high PAR from LEDs is a bad thing, and this setup allows me to hit ~100-200 throughout the tank without detectable hot spots.
So with all the lenses off you get max 200par? How high are your lights off the water. And what depth is that maximum? In addition how about the par distribution from center hot spot to sides say 18-24”

Squidmantis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there!

I’d like to know if there is any chance to connect any GHL Profilux controller to a Mars Aqua lamp.

Due to Profilux Light( the one I’m gonna get)has 4x 1V-10V interfaces for connection of dimmable lights or controlled pumps....just wondering if it is possible or not.
Just modding Mars Aqua by swapping the dimmable knobs controllers with RJ12 cables to be connected to the Profilux...?
I’m not an expert...so maybe somebody of you as Mr.Michael Lane could say something about it ....

The “Profilux Light” is the cheaper one among the Profilux controller:

https://www.aquariumcomputer.com/products/profilux-aquarium-controller/profilux-light/

I just got an answer from the GHL support and they suggested me to ask to a member of their forum who opened and wired his lamp himself over an EVG-AP-2F.

https://www.aquariumcomputer.com/usa/product/evg-ap-2f-hic-2/

As I previously said...I’m a rookie about electronics...

In short...

-Should I use a break box device...as kindly suggested a member if this forum?
If so...I could get this one from GHL:

https://www.aquariumcomputer.com/products/profilux-accessories/breakout-boxes-adapters/

-Should I use a EVG-AP-2F?
Here I found a thread about this:

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/evg-ap-2f-hic-instructions.659234/

-So no modding needed as for the ML mod?

Is not possible to connect directly the Mars Aqua ( once it will be modded with Rj12 cable )to be connected to the device controller?
Is Break box or VG-AP-2F that necessary to fit the properly connection?

I have a land of confusion( as the Genesis song) in my head...

Could you be so kind to explain me step by step as I were a kid what I have to do to have my Mars Aqua 165W to be connected to the Profilux Light controller and fully working to let me set a proper sunrise/sunset program and so on?
And last question...
As you know Mars Aqua dimmer is set to start from about 20% power...
Once the mod will be done and finally connected to the Profilux controller ...it will be possible to dim from 0% to 100% as the controller itself allow to do?

Thanks in advance for your help!:cool:

Cheers

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 66 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 36 21.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 34.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back