The Seek Discomfort Waterbox

KyleJ42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

figured i’d start a thread and see where it goes. Been in the hobby as a whole for about 5 years now. Had a 40 breeder for about 2 years when i still lived at home. I still miss that tank. Being my first full reef, it taught me everything i know about this hobby, along with a lot of you all for helping with advice and whatnot. I have since moved out and live with my beautiful wife and 2 dogs in an apartment.

Anyways, here’s a picture of the tank currently:

442E1B09-CF88-49CC-8B89-AF7A7B71893B.jpeg
A631666D-D899-407E-90D8-B47E136EC50F.jpeg

Specs:

Tank: Waterbox Cube 20

Filtration: Intank media basket chamber 1

Return pump: Sicce 1.0

Powerhead: Hydor Koralia 425

Heater: Aquatop 100W

Aquarium controller: InkBird It308 for heater/fan

Ato: Xp Aqua duetto with 3 gallon food container from Walmart.

Light: Ai prime 16 HD

Sand: Not sure yet, maybe fiji pink?

Rock: TBS “The Package” 16 lb order.

Stand: custom built 20x20x36 high

Algae scraper: Kasan Mini

So ive used dry rock in the past, and kinda hated how “dull” it was for such a long time. I swear i didnt see that stuff change color or even start to look decent until about a year and a half. So for this build im going to be seeking something out of my “comfort zone” utilizing some TBS live rock. Im most excited about this part because i love all the life and critters that can come on it, and believe theres no substitute for that amount of life to start. Its definitely going to be a different challenge, as well as many other parts of this build, but i’m looking forward to it!
8FE52860-116D-48A3-9275-2BABE4C8A672.jpeg

8D926F94-3B6B-4D2A-AC4F-CC5A6D1ABF14.jpeg

Just made a simple stand with some basic cabinet hinges and a handle. I’ll take pics of the inside how its set up when i can decide where i want to mount all the cables and whatnot.

looking forward to all of you following along and helping me along the way!
Thanks for reading!

Last edited:
OP
OP
KyleJ42

KyleJ42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still really debating between kp live rock and tbs. i cant seem to decide. I’ve probably read every thread out there comparing the two, but i think im leaning more towards TBS just because of the sheer amount of life you get, and you have minimal die off, if any.

Caleb M

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the stand! as for live rock......kinda risky. I had maybe a 3 or 5 lb rock that had a some sort of critter on it. After that ive always used dry rock. Its cheaper and safer! ie no critters haha.

Good luck and look forward to following this build!

OP
OP
KyleJ42

KyleJ42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long did that stand take you to build? Looks great!
I work in carpentry with my father, so between 2 of our guys and myself, we built it after work one day. Took me another day to oil prime and paint it. So two days total. Simple magnet catches and a handle from home depot. Easy! Its not my best work, but it works for this build :). I love woodworking. Made an epoxy river table for my wife a little while back. Appreciate the compliment!

OP
OP
KyleJ42

KyleJ42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the stand! as for live rock......kinda risky. I had maybe a 3 or 5 lb rock that had a some sort of critter on it. After that ive always used dry rock. Its cheaper and safer! ie no critters haha.

Good luck and look forward to following this build!
Thank you!
Yeah ive been debating between dry rock and live rock. I used dry rock in my past two builds, and this time i figured i’d just try something out of my comfort zone. I also love how it looks, and the life that comes on it is unparalleled. Also, i’ve had frags with some nasty stuff on it, so imo you can get bad things from anything.
I placed my order from Richard at TBS for “the package”.
excited to see what i end up getting!

Caleb M

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you!
Yeah ive been debating between dry rock and live rock. I used dry rock in my past two builds, and this time i figured i’d just try something out of my comfort zone. I also love how it looks, and the life that comes on it is unparalleled. Also, i’ve had frags with some nasty stuff on it, so imo you can get bad things from anything.
I placed my order from Richard at TBS for “the package”.
excited to see what i end up getting!

Thats great!! looking forward to how you aquas-cape it!!

OP
OP
KyleJ42

KyleJ42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the tank all filled with RODI today and tested the ATO. Works flawlessly. Temp controller works great as well, however, i didnt like the 1 degree fahrenheit fluctuation before it would kick on again, so i changed it to celsius for about a .5 degree Fahrenheit overall fluctuation. Weird how it works on the inkbirds, but atleast theres some way to get it within closer tolerances! A degree wouldnt be horrible, i just would rather keep it closer together.

5B4D969F-6887-4AD5-BABA-CEF3A4ECDFD5.jpeg

Caleb M

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the tank all filled with RODI today and tested the ATO. Works flawlessly. Temp controller works great as well, however, i didnt like the 1 degree fahrenheit fluctuation before it would kick on again, so i changed it to celsius for about a .5 degree Fahrenheit overall fluctuation. Weird how it works on the inkbirds, but atleast theres some way to get it within closer tolerances! A degree wouldnt be horrible, i just would rather keep it closer together.

5B4D969F-6887-4AD5-BABA-CEF3A4ECDFD5.jpeg

Looks great love the ATO haha, super simple!

OP
OP
KyleJ42

KyleJ42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great love the ATO haha, super simple!
Definitely! Its my first ATO and i’ve heard great things about the duetto, so i had to pull the trigger. I’ve been making water like crazy in preparation for my live rock, and any water changes i might need to make. This twist in aquaticlife rodi is making quick work of my rodi water fills. I used to have the ro buddie and it took about 3 hours per 5 gallons. This one is making 5 gallons in about an hour or so. Much much nicer.

OP
OP
KyleJ42

KyleJ42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First part of “the package” will be here tomorrow night!
giphy.gif

Getting the salt in the tank finally! To say im excited is an understatement.

3F990EEC-2E0D-4D96-8048-5D67BC7790EA.jpeg 424CB251-836F-4DE4-8D02-952AA913BCC7.jpeg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 83 87.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back